Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2021, 11:32:19 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 61
: Li'l Duce's Reviews Palace  ( 218695 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #765 : February 06, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »

La bonne année (1973) I could watch Ventura's face for hours, still this movie needs to be watched only for the first 15 minutes and the last 30', the rest is the usual Lelouch's sentimentalism: good, maybe, only for the female audience. Some scenes are terrible (the dinner with the "intelos") but Ventura's release from prison, the heist and the finale are worth watching. (It remains unexplained why the cops are not waiting for Ventura's comeback to Fabian's home and catch him with his part of the grisbi. But, of course, this is Lelouch). 7/10   

« : February 06, 2019, 04:11:54 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #766 : February 06, 2019, 04:26:19 PM »

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) I said about MI6 that you shouldn't have to rack your brain about what the whole plot is about when watching a no-brainer, as the plot is delivered in words and not in scenes. But with this movie is different. You don't get at once what is going on and some plot lines and scenes should be rewatched but the plot proceeds by scenes, not only by dialogues. So that makes the story watchable and re-watchable. But there are some weak points. The Doomsday creature is something already seea a dozen times at least and there was no need for it and make the movie over 3 hours long. And the actress playing Lois Lane if not plain, as anonymous as can be and manages to make me regret Kidder. Affleck as Batman is even worse than Keaton: he looks old and not as classy as Bruce Wayne ought to be. Superman is passable, but it's a hard task for anybody to outclass Reeve. The Lutor character is neither funny like Hackman's nor awe-inspiring: and probably the actor is just too young for the part. And American English is the language spoken in Krypton. Anyway I give it 7/10 but could even be highere after rewatching it. 

« : February 07, 2019, 10:44:48 AM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #767 : February 07, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »

Justice League (2017)  Follow-up to the above, is entertaining with good visual and enough change of sets to make it not boring. It clocks at 120' and that helps. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #768 : February 16, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »

Executive Suite (1954) This is good for the first half, which would earn even an 8, then it goes down the drain when it starts making move the characters with little or no credibility, ending with the final Holden sermon on the good red, blue and white values (namely good capitalism vs. financial speculation). So what's left are the great acting performances of Holden (who, possibly, steps even higher in my consideration: most undervalued Hollywood actor ever?) and Calhern. Stanwyck, alas, is the best looking female of the lot in spite of her age, but her character is no credible, though she acts perfectly as usual. Winters has got little screen time but is just as formidable, especially in her final scene with Jagger: unfortunately she's ugly, so I'd rather not see her. Foch is good and passable. And I can't find anything wrong with Allyson's s: only with her usual insipid character. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #769 : February 21, 2019, 01:40:49 AM »

L'emmerdeur (1973) I didn't remember it was such a good comedy, probably because I had seen it dubbed. And a great direction: see the masterful sequences shot in the narrow two hotel rooms. Ventura is simply huge, I can't remember Matthau in the remake, but Matthau can't play a killer (he could at the start of his career, but not later)  while Ventura is completely at ease here. Castelnuovo is very good and I didn't remember Gammino was in it. The running lenght is 81': perfect, there's not a single moment of respite. I give it 9/10 only because of Brel's not so persuasive performance.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #770 : February 25, 2019, 05:44:24 AM »

Un aller simple (1971) This could have been much better with a revised screenplay (to make the plot clearer in places), better actors (except for the short appearances of Giannini just before stardom in Italy and two of the italian beauties of the time: Pitagora and Piccolo) but mostly for Giovanni's mediocre direction. The movie is good in the central part, after the protagonist crosses the border between Belgium and Netherlands. But the finale is not convincing (I still don't get why the protagonist delivers himself to the police and the capital punishment). So I give it a 6/10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #771 : February 25, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »

Le chat (1971) I watched this on the advice of Delon but it isn't the masterpiece he rated it. The story is not gripping and it has only the advantage of being not long. Gabin is his usual self, but the problem I have is with Signoret, whom I just can't see on the screen, even in her earlier movies. She's ugly and that's that. 7/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #772 : March 02, 2019, 12:12:53 PM »

Harry In Your Pocket (1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXOLpsULSg

This is about dip. It drags, it doesn't concentrate enough on the techniques of pickpockets, the characters are all stale and with no originality (Sarrazin playing the young apprentice, would you ever have guessed it?) and 103' are just too many (in Italy it was cut, still not enough). So you better watch the Bresson's masterpiece on the same theme, if you haven't already. 6/10 for the locations in Seattle,Vancouver and SLC.     

« : March 02, 2019, 05:05:34 PM titoli »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #773 : March 02, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »

Harry In Your Pocket (1974)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugXOLpsULSg

This is about dip. It drags, it doesn't concentrate enough on the techniques of pickpockets, the characters are all stale and with no originality (Sarrazin playing the young apprentice, would you ever have guessed it?) and 103' are just too many (in Italy it was cut, still not enough). So you better watch the Bresson's masterpiece on the same theme, if you haven't already. 6/10 for the locations in Seattle,Vancouver and SLC.     

Never heard of this, I may have seen the Bresson, I don't remember it though I'd have to see it again. thanks

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #774 : March 03, 2019, 05:49:49 PM »

House of Cards (1968 )

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kredu
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5krebs

An absolute no brainer with a plot hanging on a spit which has some point of interest as long as you don't know what is all about (actually, one doesn't know what REALLYwas all about even at the end). To me it was interesting listening to a couiple of famous voices by second line italian actors (but famous dubbers at the time) speaking in english. Actually Mulè manages to be funny even in that language (he was the voice, among others, of Yogy Bear) in the short scene at Trevi fountain. And then you have Welles dying at the Coliseum: worth watching just for that. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #775 : March 05, 2019, 03:36:20 AM »

The Internecine Project (1974) A decent time-waster, with a great cast, but little inventive and credible. 6/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #776 : March 07, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »

The Midnight Story (1957)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KR-6pKTHc&list=PLnOzJBoZkqfSCrTviWOYBPoK6FANFs9HC&index=33

I forced myself to watch it for a half hour but couldn't make it beyond. 2/10

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #777 : March 24, 2019, 06:47:48 AM »

Leaving Neverland (2019) I'm not a MJ fan but I recently started to appreciate some of his recordings, though he wasn't a great singer (but he might have been had he not died so young and acquired some bass registry). This doc should sweep away any doubt (if ever there was in sane people) about his personal problems with sex but it concentrates (probably inevitably)  on his (and their parents) victims and little on him. In fact,  what is missing is the J.'s story prior to  the peak of his fame and the beginning (?) of his child abusing. I have got 2 or 3 bios of Jackson that I still have to wade through but I have little hope to find there the answers. Because his sexual life must have started well before his 30's and I doubt he was the subject of some child molestation (considering he was surrounded by all those bros and, especially, by that father) and that he was caste until Thriller or Bad. Actually, I had suspected till now that he suffered from some kind of sex disease, that he couldn't get it up. But as one of the molested victims attests in the doc, he was quite able and ready (though, apparently, didn't know about the efficacy of lube). So the interest of the doc lies in the portrait  of the mothers (more than the fathers: and that is significant) of these children. I think Jackson, like all pedophiles who possess a degree of power (priests, for example) not only picked carefully his would-be child-victims but, firstly, he was careful in picking their parents, especially their mothers. Throughout the doc I was thinking (not being a parent myself ) what the reaction not of my father (there wouldn't have been no bodyguard or Joe Jackson to save Michael in that case) but of my mother if Jackson had proposed to her to let me sleep, as a 7 yo, with him. It wouldn't have been the same reaction of the two  mothers of the doc: I know it. The doc is almost 4 hours long and it could have been shortened. The musical comment too melodramatic. 8/10 

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #778 : April 02, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »

The Taming of the Shrew (1967) A good reduction of the play to keep it under 2h, concentrating  on the main couple. The pace is fast for a Shakespeare play (at least, if you're used to watch integral renditions of the Bard's works). My only problem is with Burton: he's not a comedian and he makes me regret even the John Cleese of the BBC production. Taylor is probably at the height of her beauty and I can pass over her screeching voice. Zeffirelli manages to find good locations and costumes, as usual. It certainly earns a 8/10 because Taylor is eye candy.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #779 : April 05, 2019, 10:02:46 AM »

Korol Lir (King Lear) (1971) Some have put this on a level with Welles best Bard's movies, but I can't see why. It has the advantages of a film transposition but there are few images that stays in your mind (actually only the opening of the crowd to make place for the final duel). The movie gets rid of some monologues and scenes (most notably the "dive" at Dover) and so it has a good narrative rhythm. But I can't understand why for the two evil sisters were picked up ugly actresses: they should be attractive as, or even more, than their Cinderella relative.  So the only reason to watch it is the Lear of Jüri Järvet: visually a  mixture of  the scientist of Metropolis and Lloyd's of Back to the Future. I have to see Scofield and Olivier in the part but I doubt they can do better. So that's the only reason to give this a 8/10.

: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 61  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines