Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 28, 2024, 05:19:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
: Electronics/Technical Discussion/Device Advice/Gadget News  ( 27583 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #75 : June 25, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »

Yeah, any of the discs I've given you over the years.

You only gave me Region 1/A.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #76 : August 31, 2023, 11:05:17 PM »

We recently had a big fat thunderstorm and I guess I had an electrical surge cuz my TV and BRD are dead.

I bought a new TV (Samsung) and for now am using my old (Region A) BRD , I eventually have to buy a new region free brd player.

But point is my old speakers with the coaxial cable doesnt work with the new annoying smart TV?s. (I wish I could find a dumb tv.) So I had to buy new speaker. They call it a soundbar now. Well there is an audio/video delay with this soundbar. I checked it up online, seems to be a common issue. I tried some of the fixes suggested online but I still don?t think it?s perfect.

Ugh the new smart world is annoying

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #77 : September 01, 2023, 06:50:26 AM »

I eventually have to buy a new region free brd player.
Absolutely. Region-free is the way to go. Once you make the switch, you'll never go back.

Hehehe, just yankin' yer chain. I know you were an early adopter.

Sorry to hear about your electronic woes. We seem not to have had a surge up here in Westchester; we came back from vacation and all our equipment is working fine. All our troubles are automotive . . . .

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #78 : September 01, 2023, 07:14:51 AM »

Two years ago a friend gave me a 55" flat screen TV that had been on the wall when he bought his place, as he had a larger TV installed; I was replacing my 2004-model 47" rear projection TV.

Once I transported this 100 miles and got a stand for it, I set it up and there was no sound.  It turned out that the original installer had removes the TV's underscreen speakers and had set up to a soundbar, which was included.  I didn't have such soundbar or speakers as the rear projection TV had really big, good speakers so I had no sound.  So I went out and bought a small pair of speakers, that works fine.

It's bad enough that I have a separate remote for FireStick, DVR, etc.....

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #79 : January 30, 2024, 07:47:00 PM »

I need to get a new region free blu ray player. Mine got zapped in a thunderstorm a while back; I have been using my old Region A player since. I need to buy a new region-free player now

I guess I should just get a UHD player? Region-free UHD players will play all regions of UHD, BRD and DVD?s (NTSC and PAL), right?

Any particular suggestions?

I am searching through options on Amazon; each product has some great reviews and some terrible reviews that say it doesn't really work for all regions, etc. It seems the companies (like SONY, LG, etc.) don't actually sell region-free players; these are sold by third parties who bought the players from the company then converted them to region-free players.

I just checked the page of the one I previously had -- it worked totally fine for 6 years till it got zapped in a thunderstorm ? and I see that as with other models, some people loved it and some people hated it and said it didn't work. So I guess it's just luck and how good the dude doing the conversion is ... if anyone can suggest a particular model I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I will just buy something not too expensive and hope it works or that Amazon will refund me if it doesn't ....

« : January 31, 2024, 10:50:41 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #80 : January 31, 2024, 10:27:54 PM »

Looks like I'll be cutting the cord.

Any cable plan that includes Turner Classic movies costs at least $105 per month; I can get Youtube TV for like $73 per month, it includes TCM and other cable channels like ESPN and it has unlimited DVR space.

Only problem: On first glance seems I can only set programs to record up to 24 hours in advance; it doesn't provide a schedule further in advance. (On my old cable, I had the schedule, and could set up for recording, up to about a week in advance.) But if that's the only drawback to a plan that saves more than $30 per month, it's a no-brainer ....

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #81 : February 01, 2024, 04:18:04 AM »

Get a UHD player. You still won't be able to play UHD discs until you upgrade your monitor, but in the meantime you'll have a player that will work as an all-region device for your R2 BRDs.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #82 : February 01, 2024, 04:54:35 AM »

Get a UHD player. You still won't be able to play UHD discs until you upgrade your monitor, but in the meantime you'll have a player that will work as an all-region device for your R2 BRDs.

I just got a new 4K TV
That won?t play UHD?s?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #83 : February 01, 2024, 12:43:36 PM »

You didn't tell me that. Well, then, why are you asking? Of course, you want a player that can play 4K content!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #84 : February 02, 2024, 04:39:08 AM »

I need to get a new region free blu ray player. Mine got zapped in a thunderstorm a while back; I have been using my old Region A player since. I need to buy a new region-free player now

I guess I should just get a UHD player? Region-free UHD players will play all regions of UHD, BRD and DVD?s (NTSC and PAL), right?

Any particular suggestions?

I am searching through options on Amazon; each product has some great reviews and some terrible reviews that say it doesn't really work for all regions, etc. It seems the companies (like SONY, LG, etc.) don't actually sell region-free players; these are sold by third parties who bought the players from the company then converted them to region-free players.

I just checked the page of the one I previously had -- it worked totally fine for 6 years till it got zapped in a thunderstorm ? and I see that as with other models, some people loved it and some people hated it and said it didn't work. So I guess it's just luck and how good the dude doing the conversion is ... if anyone can suggest a particular model I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I will just buy something not too expensive and hope it works or that Amazon will refund me if it doesn't ....

I have the same one you recomended it still works fine, but I'd be interested what you eventually choose just in case.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #85 : February 02, 2024, 07:04:37 AM »

Looks like I'll be cutting the cord.

Any cable plan that includes Turner Classic movies costs at least $105 per month; I can get Youtube TV for like $73 per month, it includes TCM and other cable channels like ESPN and it has unlimited DVR space.

Only problem: On first glance seems I can only set programs to record up to 24 hours in advance; it doesn't provide a schedule further in advance. (On my old cable, I had the schedule, and could set up for recording, up to about a week in advance.) But if that's the only drawback to a plan that saves more than $30 per month, it's a no-brainer ....
I "cut" the cable cord just over a year ago.  At first I tried Sling for a couple of months, didn't like it.  I then looked into Hulu+ but that apparently has a much-complained drawback that one cannot use it at a second home or while traveling.

So I'm on YouTubeTV now, and am OK with it.  Yes, you can see programs more in advance "to DVR" just a little quirky.  For example, if you go to "Live" then click on the TCM icon on the left, then you see a line-up of the upcoming TCM schedule.  For regular "shows", like "Dateline NBC", when you choose on YouTubeTV to DVR, then ALL future Dateline shows also get recorded to your library.  For sporting events, one can choose the "one time only" recording.  I "think" - don't trust me - that if an event goes overtime that the YouTube TV may still go to the end and not cut off, where with cable I had to program in extra time.

: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines