Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2022, 01:15:48 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Baseball Legend Rizzuto Dies
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Baseball Legend Rizzuto Dies  ( 2566 )
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

« : August 14, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Rest in Peace Phil Rizzuto! One of the best people you will ever see in the sport of baseball. A true gentleman, and a great ballplayer. You gave us many memories on and off the field. Today is a sad day not only for Yankees fans but baseball fans alike. Phil will be truly missed!

I'll say it one last time for you Phil, your legendary phrase. "HOOOOOLLYYYY COOOOWWW."

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1 : April 15, 2013, 02:18:18 AM »

hey I just saw this thread for the first time; I wasn't a SLWB member when the Scooter died.

Glad to see another Yankee/baseball fan around here  O0

I don't remember Rizzuto as a player (heck, he was done by 1956, when my father was 5 years old, but I am huge fan of the Yankees and of baseball history. Nice to see another one like me around here  ;)

« : April 15, 2013, 02:19:52 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : April 15, 2013, 02:40:56 AM »

Ober here we have Capo Rizzuto.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #3 : April 15, 2013, 04:37:42 AM »

the Yankees had a long tradition of great Italian-American ballplayers, going back to Tony "Poosh 'em up" Lazzeri, Phil Rizzuto, Joe Dimaggio, Yogi Berra, et al. Today, Italians have basically become just like "regular white Americans," so to speak, but back in the 20's, 30's, and 40's, when they were still an immigrant minority (often made fun of and discriminated against and hated just like so many other immigrant groups had to go through), it was a great source of pride for Italian-Americans all around the country when one of their boys made good in the "new country." And boy did the Yanks ever have their share of Italian boys making good in baseball   :)

Like today, when we see eg. Puerto Rican fans in one city supporting an opposing player just cuz he is from Puerto Rico, (and we might get offended), but the same thing happened with the Italians in the early decades of the 20th century. The immigrant groups, who are still in the process of assimilating into their host country, takes great pride in people from the Old Country.
Yogi Berra actually caused quite a scandal in his family when he announced he was going to marry a nice waitress he met named Carmen .... but who was NOT Italian! What a scandal that was. Today, Yogi and Carmen Berra are still happily married, 64 years later  :)

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #4 : April 15, 2013, 04:44:33 AM »

I'll also mention two other great Yankees who recently passed away:

Ralph Houk a couple of summers ago, aged 90  http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/houkra01.shtml

"Bullet" Bob Turley, just died a few weeks ago, at 82 http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turlebo01.shtml

and just around the time the  SLWB began, a 93 year-old gentleman named Charles Devens passed away in Milton, Massachussetts.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/devench01.shtml
Devens was so far as i know, the last living member of the 1932 World Championship team, last living Yankee teammate of Babe Ruth, and was in Wrigley Field on the day in the 1932 World Series that Babe Ruth pointed his finger and then hit a home run. Did he call his shot? That question is asked with as much reverence and there are  as many differing theories and nobody will ever know the answer; it is the baseball equivalent of who killed JFK?

Those are the two great big questions, about which generations of Americans have said, "When I die, the first questions I will ask God are: 'Did the Babe call his shot?  And who really killed Kennedy?' " In that order.

« : April 15, 2013, 11:34:21 AM drinkanddestroy »

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines