Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 06, 2021, 04:46:42 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Other favorites
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Other favorites  ( 16695 )
Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

« : November 11, 2002, 07:24:10 PM »

Besides Sergio Leone, what are some of your other favorite directors and why?

Sabbath
Road Apple

I'm a dead ringer for Paul Naschy

« #1 : November 11, 2002, 08:19:32 PM »

SAM PECKINPAH in the western genre.  He took the nihilism of Leone, also the stylized violence of Kurosawa (as did Leone), the Romance of the loner/outsider/superannuated 19th Century American, and created his own crimson stew. THE WILD BUNCH and the very underrated BALLAD OF CABLE HOGUE are my two favorite US westerns.

JESUS FRANCO: made one Spanish western EL LLANERO (1963) and about 150 horror, exploitation titles including FEMALE VAMPIRE, EROTIC RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN, DRAUCLA PRISONER OF FRANKESTEIN and SUICIDE GAMES IN CASABLANCA all with  SW "face: Luis Barboo in henchman roles. What can I say. EL LLANERO and THE SADIST BARON VON KLAUS look great with NO zoom shots. A unique no budget stylist and EUGENIE, VIRGIN AMONG THE LIVING DEAD contain two of the greatest Nicolai scores.

RICCARDO FREDA: one mediocre SW and the glorius pepla, TEODORA, SPARTACO, GIANTS OF THESSALY, MACISTE ALL CORTA DEL GRAN KHAN and THE GHOST. In 1996 I published a detailed monograph on his career thanks to Craig Ledbetter in ETC SE #2. With Leone and Bava, a giant of Italian genre filmmaking.

Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

« #2 : November 11, 2002, 09:58:50 PM »

I like John Carpenter. He's a completely under-rated director and no one gives him credit anymore. Halloween,The THing and The Fog were all great movies that could really get your heart going. he never really went for scares in The Thing, instead he just sat back and let the effects do the scaring or the tense scene in where they have to find out who is human or who isnt. Frig, that was an amazing movie. The Fog was awsome as well.

Escape From New York was a very well done B-action movie. Russell gives a good performance and I like the complete darkness of the movie., except when it went to daytime for that short amount of time, that kinda sucked. But either way the movie rocked.

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
Renny
Chicken Thief

"Are you talking to me?"

« #3 : November 12, 2002, 01:58:57 PM »

Spielberg is great, Ford coppola and the fresh new blood of Sam Mendes.

"Your Youngest And Strongest Will Fall By The Sword"
SquareTex
Road Apple

I could crush you like a wormy apple...

« #4 : November 12, 2002, 03:36:24 PM »

I've REALLY taken to Dario Argento. Suspiria and Deep Red were both excellent, Tenebre wasn't as good (IMHO) but still entertaining.

Frank: So YOU'RE the one who makes appointments.
Harmonica: And you're the one who doesn't KEEP them.

Don't you just love seeing great moments like this on DVD finally? :
Cal
Site Administrator
Administrator
Bandido

« #5 : November 12, 2002, 07:42:51 PM »

Quentin Tarantino is good too. I wish he'd make more films though  :-\

Brendan
Road Apple

One of the best.

« #6 : November 12, 2002, 10:33:31 PM »

He's working on a new film right now. 'Kill Bill' starring Uma Thurman.

Heres some info:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0266697

You ever think how the most minor decision can change the entire direction of your life?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : November 13, 2002, 04:40:43 PM »

Director David Lynch, just bizarre, and unpredictable, you never quite know what to expect. 8)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
sacco
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #8 : December 04, 2002, 09:53:23 AM »

I love films where music is symbiotic with imagry: eg
Bruno Bozzetto's Allegro Non Tropo
Godfrey Reggio's Koyaanisqatsi
Music greatly increases the emotional impact of the visual. Nothing tops the Morricone/leone collaborations though. Nowt.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #9 : December 04, 2002, 11:34:50 AM »

Michael Curtiz: Adventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, etc.  All had great similarities to the Spaghettis, similar use of humor, main character who appealed to both men and women, great use of musical score (and Academy Award there) by Korngold.

jouissance
Bandido

in the beginning there was light

« #10 : December 23, 2002, 02:12:01 PM »

CAL, good news for you. Tarantino is finishing his fourth film as we speak. A friend say the trailer. You will be happy to know, it is going to be intense. A modern-day crouching tiger film and I guess Uma is super bad in this one. An other friend of mine works a Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach, where Tarantino did most of the filmming and he says the sets are great and the acrobatics are super cool. I hope this gives you a bit of hope!

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #11 : February 21, 2003, 02:12:16 PM »

Ridley Scott, another very "visual" filmaker. He made fabulous movies like Alien, Blade Runner and most recently Gladiator, Hannibal or Black Hawk Down.

Werner Herzog, well known filmaker, speacially in the seventies.

The great Kubrik also, for those among us who love, for example, the photography in a movie.

I agree with Sacco that the music must be symbiotic with the image.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #12 : February 23, 2003, 08:04:32 AM »

Spielberg, for putting a lot of variety amongst his films.
The 'old' Ridley Scott who made Blade Runner, not the one that made @#!รง* Black Hawk Down and Hannibal (sorry Shorty).
Michael Bay has a great visual style although his movies are crap (except for the super entertaining The Rock)
David Lynch is just a damn genius.  He makes his films totally understandable and still you're on the edge of your seat...
Quentin Tarantino is brilliant in writing dialogue.  Pulp Fiction was greatgreat, the others less but still enjoyable.  I hope he makes more movies that can match the level of Pulp Fiction...
Francis Ford Coppola in his days when he made The Godfather trilogy and Apocalypse Now.
Robert Rodriguez has a cool visual style and I love the mexican atmosphere in From Dusk Till Dawn and Desperado.  And Salma Hayek plays in most of his films... ;)
I think we have to expect some great films coming from M. Night Shyamalan.  I found The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs very entertaining and he sure has a good visual style...
I have certainly forgotten some great names, but hey... Leone's still the greatest of them all.  Amen.

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #13 : February 23, 2003, 08:05:24 AM »

Made a mistake above:  David Lynch makes his films totally incomprehendible...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #14 : February 23, 2003, 08:32:31 AM »

Let's include Michael Mann.

From the "old" Miami Vice to the simply excelent "Heat".

Scorsese did some great movies.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines