Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 09:05:42 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  High Sierra (1941)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: High Sierra (1941)  ( 11673 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #30 : March 18, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »

No, Joan Leslie turns out to be not so good, just another manipulator who uses her looks and her innocent act to get what she wants from a man before throwing him away. Ida Lupino, on the other hand, is the bad girl with a heart of gold. If she and Bogie could get away together they could be happy but he doesn't see it in time. Bogie is doomed for falling for the false values in mainstream 40s cinema.

That may be true.

But the fact is that whichever guy is with Joan Leslie will be able to settle down into a quiet life, while whichever guy is with Ida Lupino will spend his life on the run.

View it any way you want, but point is that love story is integral to the story of Roy Earle, and this is not an instance of a movie throwing in a useless romantic angle.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #31 : March 18, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »

but point is that love story is integral to the story of Roy Earle, and this is not an instance of a movie throwing in a useless romantic angle.

Nah, for me it's manipulative and predictable screenwriting, maybe i don't like love stories, also Bogie character does the same stupid move that you see in a lot of films he goes up into the mountains exposing himself instead of going low into the brush and backtrack down the canyon. A lot of films use going high, climbing things, for a dramatic fall (Naked City and The Indestructible Man).

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #32 : July 15, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »

Criterion will bring this out on blu in October. Interestingly, they will include the western remake, Colorado Territory, as an extra.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #33 : July 15, 2021, 10:54:20 AM »

I just saw the remake I Died a Thousand Times again, on Watch TCM app. Needless to say, it is worse in nearly every respect, though there is some nice color footage. I've written  about it here http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=1822.msg173790#msg173790
 One thing is better about this film is that Pedro Gonzalez Gonzalez is better than the black actor who played that role in High Sierra. The other: Lori Nelson, the actor who plays Velma, was 22 years old in real life, as opposed to Joan Leslie, who was 16 when High Sierra came out. The idea that Leslie would go with Bogie was always a little silly. With Nelson, it's not as outlandish; she actually looks like woman not a baby.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #34 : July 15, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »

^^ That's a really nice bonus, sort of like Killer's Kiss being an extra to The Killing. I haven't seen High Sierra in a long time but that will put it over the top for me.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #35 : September 14, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »

Looks good: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/high_sierra_blu-ray.htm

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines