Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2021, 07:47:26 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  upcoming screenings of classic movies!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
: upcoming screenings of classic movies!  ( 98095 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #75 : September 03, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »

I may see you at the Billy Wilder film. If you promise to behave yourself, I''ll agree not to pretend not to know you.

If you're really serious about becoming a regular at FF, you may want a membership. The 75 dollars you pay up front goes down a bit hard, but the 7 dollar ticket price each time makes each filmgoing experience all the more enjoyable. At least, that's the way I've found it.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #76 : September 03, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »

I may see you at the Billy Wilder film. If you promise to behave yourself, I''ll agree not to pretend not to know you.

If you're really serious about becoming a regular at FF, you may want a membership. The 75 dollars you pay up front goes down a bit hard, but the 7 dollar ticket price each time makes each filmgoing experience all the more enjoyable. At least, that's the way I've found it.

I'm actually not really sure if I am gonna go to the Wilder interview: I mentioned how much I love Wilder and how awesome an interviewee he was, but there is only one screening, (at 1 PM on Sunday 9/23. Luckily, the Giants are not playing that day, but) there will still be lots of other football to watch. So, watch football at home all day for free? Or pay to watch a 3-hour interview in a theater?  I am sure it will eventually be released on dvd, and I don't see much advantage in watching an interview in a theater over a tv screen at home.
I really hate whenever there's only one showing  >:(  It'll be a last-minute decision for me, but I don't think I'll go to that screening; if they add screenings, I will consider going.

btw, I hope y'all check out the extra features dvd of the Criterion edition of Ace in the Hole. There is an AMAZING selection of interviews with Wilder (and I am not sure, but one of them may be the shortened version of this one that will be screening).

The Film Forum membership is worthwhile if one goes to at least 14 movies a year.

So if I find myself going frequently over the next few weeks, then I'll think about purchasing the membership.

« : September 03, 2012, 03:05:03 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #77 : September 09, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »

The newest "greatest movie of all time" Vertigo  is playing at Film Forum from Wednesday 9/12 thru Tuesday 9/18 http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/vertigo1

I hope to go on Wednesday or Thursday

« : September 09, 2012, 02:50:53 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #78 : September 13, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »

I saw Vertigo at The Film Forum on Thursday afternoon;  I will discuss the theater itself in this post;( my comments on the movie are in Vertigo's thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11406.msg159428#msg159428 )

I counted about 28 people in the theater for a 3:50 PM showing on a Thursday afternoon; I'd say about 2/3 were senior citizens.

The picture and sound were both great (when I saw GBU, the sound was very low, but it was just fine by Vertigo -- and I saw both movies in the same room of the Film Forum;  don't know if it's due to the particular movie or if Film Forum just cranked up the volume yesterday).

--------------

Also, I discovered a theater a few blocks away from Film Forum called IFC Center http://www.ifccenter.com/ (directly across the street from the famous basketball courts on West 4th Street & 6th Ave), it looks like it's sort of similar to Film Forum, showing independent and classic movies. I guess I'll check it out sometime if I see something interesting. Has anyone ever been to IFC Center? What's it like? How does it compare to Film Forum?

« : September 13, 2012, 11:25:42 PM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #79 : October 25, 2012, 07:38:10 PM »

Film Forum will be showing Django during the last week of 2012, from December 21 - December 27.  It's a ways off, but Film Forum just posted it so I figured I would as well   http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/django1

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #80 : October 25, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »

Film Forum will be showing Django during the last week of 2012, from December 21 - December 27.  It's a ways off, but Film Forum just posted it so I figured I would as well   http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/django1

you'll hate it  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #81 : October 25, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »

you'll hate it  ;D

I actually saw it already  ;)

However, I am very interested to know why you thought I would hate it. So please -- forget that I told you I'd already seen it, and -- provide an extensive explanation as to why you believe I would hate the movie; I'm actually intrigued here....

---

For the record, what was your personal opinion of the movie?

For the record, Part II: just in case you are wondering: I did NOT hate it  :P
The English dubbing on the dvd was atrocious and harms the movie greatly (next time, I will use Italian audio and English subtitles; I hope that's how Film Forum shows it; I can call them closer to the event and find out).

If I can try to forget the dubbing and just rate the movie, it was outrageous like I expect from SW's. It's definitely not on a level of eg. The Mercenary, but I did not HATE it either...I just found the post I made immediately after I saw Django; here it is http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=598.msg154951#msg154951 (I didn't give a rating, just wrote a bit about the movie was insanely outrageously over the top, exactly what I'd come to expect from SW's  ;))

(For the rest of this post, the term "SW" will refer to "non-Leone SW's").

I've only seen about 5 SW's: Django, Death Rides a Horse, A Man Called Sledge, The Mercenary, and The Big Gundown Generally, I have to describe SW's as simply 'OUTLANDISH." as crazy and outlandish as crazy/outlandish can possibly get. And far, far more outlandish than Leone's Westerns. t's just an objective fact is that the style of some of these SW's are incomparable to anything else. And I am not saying it in an good way nor in a bad way; my point really is that it's so hard to rate SW's in the way that i rate other movies, cuz it's just like a whole different thing for me; it's like comparing apples to oranges.

When watching these SW's, I imagine that I feel like  somebody who spends his life watching regular movies involving humans, and then suddenly for the first time, he is informed of the existence of animation, and is suddenly given animated movies to watch: it's like a whole different realm that he has nothing to compare it to; he basically can only compare a cartoon to other cartoons, cuz there's no frame of reference to compare it to anything else. These SW people are basically like cartoon characters!

I guess that as i watch more SW's, I'll be able to compare them to other movies more and more. For now, I just laugh all the way through and don't know exactly what to make of it. But there's plenty to enjoy. Good times  :)

« : October 26, 2012, 04:27:50 AM drinkanddestroy »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #82 : October 26, 2012, 04:22:47 AM »

FYI: I initially started this thread a few months ago to discuss a SW film festival at Film Forum, but even though that festival has come and gone long ago, this thread has stayed alive as a place to announce upcoming screenings of classic movies -- and to discuss them afterward, of course!

However, the old title of this thread, which was "LEONE'S & OTHER SW'S PLAYING THROUGHOUT JUNE 2012 IN NEW YORK!" is a bit outdated now, so, with the agreement of cj, I am changing the title of the thread to "upcoming screenings of classic movies!"

Please share any info here about any screenings/festivals of classic movies in your area, and if you attend any of these showings, chat about 'em here  :)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #83 : December 16, 2012, 05:21:29 AM »

Film Forum is showing Jean-Pierre Trintignant movies all week http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/trintignant#nowplaying

I haven't  seen any of these movies (and never heard of Trintignant till just now!) but since I have recently been getting into classic French films and I see Film Forum is playing some this week, I may want to check some of these out.

I want to go on Monday to the 9:30 PM showing of My Night at Maud's, and/or to any of the movies that are playing on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

If anyone is interested in going as a group, you can respond here or PM me

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #84 : December 16, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »

I'm interested in the stuff that isn't readily available on home video (the Robbe-Grillrt films on Tuesday, for example), but doubt I'll be able to get into the city for them. Busy week.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #85 : December 16, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

Film Forum is showing Jean-Pierre Trintignant movies all week http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/trintignant#nowplaying

I haven't  seen any of these movies (and never heard of Trintignant till just now!) but since I have recently been getting into classic French films and I see Film Forum is playing some this week, I may want to check some of these out.

I want to go on Monday to the 9:30 PM showing of My Night at Maud's, and/or to any of the movies that are playing on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

If anyone is interested in going as a group, you can respond here or PM me

Well you should have gone to see The Great Silence  :'(

« : December 16, 2012, 04:08:00 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #86 : December 17, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

You missed Z also. Shame on you drink.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #87 : December 17, 2012, 07:29:26 AM »

what for? I don't drink beer, only fine wine

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #88 : December 17, 2012, 07:55:46 AM »

Z is not beer.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #89 : December 17, 2012, 09:40:11 AM »

That's debatable too ...

: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines