Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 05, 2024, 02:59:54 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Tony Scott commits suicide at 68
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Tony Scott commits suicide at 68  ( 7194 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« : August 20, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

http://rogerebert.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120820/MEMORY/120829999

As Ebert says, "What private torments he felt we may never know." But I can't understand how a man with a wife and twin 12-year old boys can walk out on them like that. (And why someone who presumably has access to a gun would choose to kill himself by jumping off a bridge).

« : August 20, 2012, 01:09:31 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #1 : August 20, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »

He apparently had inoperable cancer. The method of death is certainly startling, but in keeping with his life style.

I can't claim to be a fan but early in his career he showed signs of being a good director. I really like Crimson Tide and The Hunger and True Romance have their merits. Too bad about the last decade's worth of lazy star vehicles. He seems to have been a nice guy off-set which is rare in a director.

Anyway, RIP.

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #2 : August 20, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »

He apparently had inoperable cancer. The method of death is certainly startling, but in keeping with his life style.

I was unaware of the inoperable cancer (Ebert didn't mention it in the article), but I definitely don't understand why he didn't just put a bullet to his brain. Did he want one last "thrill" before he died? Isn't drowning a rather painful death, or would he have been dead as soon as he hit the water?
Anyway, what he did to himself is between him and God, but he could have at least been more considerate to the taxpayer. The whole operation with divers and sonar must have cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. (No politician would ever have the guts to say this, but) the government should seize an equivalent amount of his assets and return it to the public treasury to cover the cost of the rescue operation.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

« #3 : August 20, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »

But I can't understand how a man with a wife and twin 12-year old boys can walk out on them like that. (And why someone who presumably has access to a gun would choose to kill himself by jumping off a bridge).
Shooting your brains on the wall of your home significantly increases the chances of your twelve-year-old son finding his dad laying dead.

Anyway, what he did to himself is between him and God, but he could have at least been more considerate to the taxpayer. The whole operation with divers and sonar must have cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. (No politician would ever have the guts to say this, but) the government should seize an equivalent amount of his assets and return it to the public treasury to cover the cost of the rescue operation.
Nice to see that rrpower is not the only one capable of improper jokes.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #4 : August 21, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »

Shooting your brains on the wall of your home significantly increases the chances of your twelve-year-old son finding his dad laying dead.
Nice to see that rrpower is not the only one capable of improper jokes.

A) I didn't mean that he should do it in his home!

B) I wasn't joking. I was serious. Scott chose to kill himself in that manner that cost the taxpayer tons of money unnecessarily, that amount should be returned to the taxpayer from Scott's own vast funds. Either way, the rescue operation  must be paid for; why should it use taxpayer funds,  rather than Scott's  own funds? Scott chooses to kill himself in this way, and now the taxpayer (99% of whom are poorer than he is, btw) have to pay who knows how much money for divers and sonar equipment? Screw that. The equivalent funds should definitely be taken from his own account. What would be "improper" is to make the taxpayer pay for it.

« : August 21, 2012, 12:54:04 AM drinkanddestroy »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #5 : August 21, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

No one credited you with a sense of perspective drink.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #6 : August 21, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

When it comes to something as cowardly and ridiculous as suicide, I don't think there's such thing as an 'improper' joke. The only way I'd make an exception is in the case where he was going to soon die a painful death, but as reports are now saying, he didn't even have 'inoperable brain cancer'. Suicide, in my mind, is an insult to those truly depressed, underprivileged people who still have the balls to wake up every day and live the life they were given.

If he didn't want to be in this world anymore, then he didn't deserve to be in this world anymore. Therefor he shouldn't get sympathy, because he probably didn't want sympathy. I don't give a fuck about Tony Scott's death just as much as he didn't give a fuck about his own life, or his own family. Or taxpayer money.

On the other hand he could have had serious mental illness and was truly convinced the world would be better without him. But I find that unlikely for Tony Scott.

RIP Goose. He died a true American hero.

« : August 21, 2012, 08:05:40 AM rrpower »
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #7 : August 21, 2012, 08:08:48 AM »

Isn't drowning a rather painful death, or would he have been dead as soon as he hit the water?
The bridge was 185 feet above water. For inexperienced 'jumpers', around 150 feet would probably result in death.

« : August 21, 2012, 08:12:25 AM rrpower »
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #8 : August 21, 2012, 10:45:47 AM »

When it comes to something as cowardly and ridiculous as suicide, I don't think there's such thing as an 'improper' joke.
My comment in your "Goose" thread was not made without admiration.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #9 : August 22, 2012, 03:57:32 AM »

Haha while I must say RR is 100% right, I don't really really care for Tony Scott as just a man (ancient race). The really sad part is he will not do that again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu_G1zaPCPw&feature=related

$50,000 and the attitude of Mr Scott have less impact on me, the world and on the future of mankind that this single scene.

Or Goose's death.

Jill
Bounty Killer

This time I did

« #10 : August 26, 2012, 08:17:51 AM »

:'( Must rewatch True Romance some time to remember him.

And if he choose a goddamn river, it's his right. Everybody can choose how he prefers to die. Especially when the alternative is dying slowly of illness.
Or what, is a gun "manlier" than jumping off a bridge? I know of someone who definitely had a gun (what with his profession) and still choose a bridge.

"Does this unit have a soul?"
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #11 : August 26, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »

:'( Must rewatch True Romance some time to remember him.

And if he choose a goddamn river, it's his right. Everybody can choose how he prefers to die. Especially when the alternative is dying slowly of illness.
Or what, is a gun "manlier" than jumping off a bridge? I know of someone who definitely had a gun (what with his profession) and still choose a bridge.

I'm not judging his "manliness." But he chose to kill himself in a manner that was incredibly costly to the taxpayer, for divers and sonar equipment and all that shit. If he wanted to kill himself, that's his problem, but it's ridiculous that the taxpayer should have to pay all that money for it. The full marginal cost of the operation to retrieve his body should be recovered from his estate. There's no reason why the taxpayer should bear the financial cost rather than Scott's own estate.

« : August 26, 2012, 05:35:27 PM drinkanddestroy »

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

« #12 : August 26, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »

I'm not judging his "manliness." But he chose to kill himself in a manner that was incredibly costly to the taxpayer lots of money, for divers and sonar equipment and all that shit. If he wanted to kill himself, that's his problem, but it's ridiculous that the taxpayer should have to pay all that money for it. The full marginal cost of the operation to retrieve his body should be recovered from his estate. There's no reason why the taxpayer should bear the financial cost rather than Scott's own estate.
You are a sitcom character, right?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #13 : August 26, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »

Possibly, though I'm thinking more "Insane Tea Party lawyer."

sargatanas
Gunslinger

« #14 : August 26, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »

Emma's War (Producer) (in production)

???? Prometheus 2 (producer) (announced)

???? Potsdamer Platz (Producer) (announced)

2011 The Sector (TV series) (executive producer) (pre-production)

2013 Out of the Furnace (producer) (post-production)

2013 Killing Lincoln (TV movie) (executive producer, producer) (post-production)

2012 Labyrinth (TV mini-series) (producer) (post-production)

2013 Stoker (executive producer) (completed)

2012 Coma (TV mini-series) (executive producer) (completed)

2012 The East (producer) (completed)

pressure builds up...it happens

« : August 26, 2012, 09:13:34 PM sargatanas »
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines