Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2022, 10:07:36 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Yojimbo
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Yojimbo  ( 31410 )
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #30 : October 20, 2006, 01:10:25 AM »

Late 1800's. Around 1890's I think. Anyway, the film had enough sword fights, this ain't Star Wars where everything has to be done with a saber. The ending to Yojimbo was very creative.

Imagine at the end of Fistful of Dollars that it was ended with Eastwood shooting the baddie. Acceptable, but not exactly creative.

Actually, it's definitely before 1867. 1868 was the year of the Meiji Revolution. Tokugawa shogunate officially ended that year. In other words, end of the samurai era. Foreign prints of "Yojimbo" has the subtitle that says "The time is 1860."

Regarding the final battle, it doesn't have to be long. Kurosawa talked about the scene and said, "as long as the scene is fulfilling even if it's just 10 seconds, it gives satisfaction to the audience." And this scene proves that. Mifune's sword play that kills all the remaining clan of Ushitora in short seconds is really awesome to watch.

Kurugen clearly missed but Unosuke does not die just because of the small knife Sanjuro throws. Sanjuro cuts Unosuke with his sword as Unosuke tries to pull the small knife out of his arm.     

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #31 : October 20, 2006, 10:35:18 AM »

As much as I love FOD, I prefer Yojimbo.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Kurugen

« #32 : October 20, 2006, 02:59:49 PM »

Regarding the final battle, it doesn't have to be long. Kurosawa talked about the scene and said, "as long as the scene is fulfilling even if it's just 10 seconds, it gives satisfaction to the audience." And this scene proves that. Mifune's sword play that kills all the remaining clan of Ushitora in short seconds is really awesome to watch.

Kurugen clearly missed but Unosuke does not die just because of the small knife Sanjuro throws. Sanjuro cuts Unosuke with his sword as Unosuke tries to pull the small knife out of his arm.     

Well all I saw was Sanjuro throwing the knife and he falls on the ground.Remeber i wanted a Big sword fight but whatever it was o k.
Late 1800's. Around 1890's I think. Anyway, the film had enough sword fights, this ain't Star Wars where everything has to be done with a saber. The ending to Yojimbo was very creative.

I never really did like Star Wars.

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #33 : October 20, 2006, 03:49:37 PM »

Well all I saw was Sanjuro throwing the knife and he falls on the ground.

That means Sanjuro is too quick for you to catch his move.

« : October 20, 2006, 03:52:38 PM Sanjuro »

Kurugen

« #34 : October 20, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »

That means Sanjuro is too quick for you to catch his move.

or that the ending was too weak

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #35 : October 20, 2006, 04:24:12 PM »

or that the ending was too weak

Never. Otherwise this film would not have stood for test of the time.

Kurugen

« #36 : October 20, 2006, 04:33:06 PM »

Never. Otherwise this film would not have stood for test of the time.

It still stands the test of time but that ending was too weak for me.I guess i need a Commando-esqe ending

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #37 : October 20, 2006, 04:47:53 PM »

It still stands the test of time but that ending was too weak for me.I guess i need a Commando-esqe ending

Kurosawa often said, "It's absurd if you say it's not red when I'm painting with blue." You are expecting something totally different from what the film is. 

Kurugen

« #38 : October 20, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »

Kurosawa often said, "It's absurd if you say it's not red when I'm painting with blue." You are expecting something totally different from what the film is. 

Am I??

Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

« #39 : October 20, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

Am I??

Assolutamente.

Kurugen

« #40 : October 21, 2006, 07:44:39 PM »

Imagine at the end of Fistful of Dollars that it was ended with Eastwood shooting the baddie. Acceptable, but not exactly creative.

What you mean it wasnt creative? He made a bulletproof vest!! I thought that was pretty creative.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #41 : October 21, 2006, 07:49:42 PM »

I'm saying if they would have went with a regular shoot out, that it wouldn't have been creative. It's obviously creative and a classic moment in cinema history.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
whenthechimesend..
Bandido

when the chimes end, pick up your gun.

« #42 : January 10, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »

I do like AFOD better than Yojimbo, and I feel I'm practically alone on this. Yojimbo, however, is indeed a great movie.

I found an interesting box-set these days with Yojimbo, Sanjuro (which I haven't seen) and Seven Samurai. I really would have bought it, when I noticed the runtime for 7 samurai was 121 minutes! :o I think it's better this way, though: the DVD was from the same company responsible for the awful AFOD DVD, which skips chapters.

A bit off-topic, now: Can anyone recommend me which Kurosawa's movies are best to see next? I only saw the 2 I mentioned before, and I noticed Red Beard, Sanjuro and Hidden Fortress on my local rental shelf.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #43 : January 10, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »

"A bit off-topic, now: Can anyone recommend me which Kurosawa's movies are best to see next? I only saw the 2 I mentioned before, and I noticed Red Beard, Sanjuro and Hidden Fortress on my local rental shelf."
---------------------------

Ikiru
Throne of Blood
Ran
Kagemusha
Hidden Fortress
Rashomon

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

« #44 : January 10, 2007, 08:16:43 PM »

"A bit off-topic, now: Can anyone recommend me which Kurosawa's movies are best to see next? I only saw the 2 I mentioned before, and I noticed Red Beard, Sanjuro and Hidden Fortress on my local rental shelf."
---------------------------

Ikiru
Throne of Blood
Ran
Kagemusha
Hidden Fortress
Rashomon

Hmm.... to name a few...

Ran
Rashomon
Ikiru
Yojimbo
Red Beard
The Bad Sleep Well
Stray Dog
Throne of Blood
Sanjuro

I would mention Drunken Angel but it doesn't have an R1 release.

: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines