Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 08:59:51 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger Appreciation Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger Appreciation Thread  ( 5414 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« : January 15, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »

This thread was inspired when I learned the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater is The Red Shoes on 2/24! Not a personal favorite but I wager it would be amazing on a big screen.

http://www.pbt.org/community-engagement/motion-film-series

Apparently Film Forum had a showing of Black Narcissus last week. Jenkins, did you miss that one?

http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Events2013.html

Other films and events may be discussed as appropriate. For discussion's sake, I'll posit A Matter of Life and Death as my favorite.

« : January 15, 2013, 06:52:12 PM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #1 : January 16, 2013, 09:01:01 AM »

Apparently Film Forum had a showing of Black Narcissus last week. Jenkins, did you miss that one?
Not a favorite of mine, so I was happy to miss another arduous journey into Manhattan. I've always got the Criterion blu-ray at hand anyway.

Speaking of Criterion, their Colonel Blimp disc is coming March 19. What the LoA blu was for 2012, the Bimp blu will be for 2013.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #2 : January 16, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »

Seeing Colonel Blimp in Blu-Ray could well be a life-changing experience. I can't wait for screencaps.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #3 : January 17, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

Watched part of Age of Consent again last night, this time with the Kent Jones commentary on. Although Powell did this without Pressburger, officially,  according to Jones, Powell did consult with Pressburger on it.

This really needs a blu-ray release.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #4 : January 17, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »

Age of Consent's on my must-see list. I've only seen it availabe in a two-disc set with A Matter of Life and Death.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #5 : January 17, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »

Age of Consent's on my must-see list. I've only seen it availabe in a two-disc set with A Matter of Life and Death.
Yup, that's how I've got it. For someone who likes AMOLAD so much, I'm surprised you don't have a copy yourself.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #6 : February 18, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »

Blu-ray.com give the new Criterion release of Blimp full marks for audio and video: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Life-and-Death-of-Colonel-Blimp-Blu-ray/62270/#Review

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #7 : February 20, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »

Very nice! An upgrade is in order. O0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #8 : February 20, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

Yup.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #9 : March 16, 2013, 07:42:57 AM »

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4116blim.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #10 : October 08, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »

I just saw Black Narcissus for the first time, on Criterion dvd. I give it an 8/10

This post will contain spoilers

On the bonus features, when they insert clips from the film during the interviews, they use clips from the movie before it was restored; you can tell some of the color looks faded, there are lots of scratch marks, etc.

In the scene where Sister Clodagh is ringing the bell, and Sister Ruth walks out the door of the convent looking like the devil and coming to kill her: In the movie, the white of Sister Ruth's eyes look red; she's looking like the devil, with the red dress and lipstick and pale face, and her eyes look red too. Well, in a clip from the movie that they use – it's in the bonus feature called "Black Narcissus Profile," toward the end of the feature – they are showing a clip from the movie, they show that scene before it is restored, and Sister Ruth's eyes do not look red. It looks like the restorers added that into the movie. (Even though the unrestored clip had the colors faded, I believe that if Sister Ruth's eyes were supposed to look red, the would at least appear a little red even in the unrestored version. This leads me to wonder if the restorers got carried away and added the red tinge to Sister Ruth's eyes?

« : October 12, 2013, 10:01:34 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #11 : October 12, 2013, 12:24:55 PM »

This leads me to wonder if the restorers got carried away and added the red tinge to Sister Ruth's eyes?
Doubtful. The people involved with this restoration tend to treat film like it's a religious relic.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #12 : October 12, 2013, 10:05:07 PM »

Doubtful. The people involved with this restoration tend to treat film like it's a religious relic.

Anyone who owns the Criterion dvd of Black Narcissus can check it out for themselves. Look at that bonus feature and tell me if her eyes look red.

p.s. maybe they plan to, at a later date, release a new version with the eyes the proper color. You know, to make a buck off naifs like d&d, even off religious relics 

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines