Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2024, 03:02:07 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Wop Film Watch Alert!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
: Wop Film Watch Alert!  ( 22200 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #30 : August 01, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »

http://filmforum.org/series/vittorio-de-sica-attore-regista-seduttore-series

I might hit some of these. I've never seen The Witches, and as an Eastwood completest I may have to. Drink, if you've never seen the Finzi-Continis, you should take that in.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #31 : August 02, 2015, 02:38:24 PM »

http://filmforum.org/series/vittorio-de-sica-attore-regista-seduttore-series

I might hit some of these. I've never seen The Witches, and as an Eastwood completest I may have to. Drink, if you've never seen the Finzi-Continis, you should take that in.

yup, I'd definitely consider some of these, work-permitting.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #32 : November 03, 2015, 05:08:23 PM »

Friday, 11/13 at MoMA: a restored Dino Risi: http://www.moma.org/calendar/events/1505?locale=en

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #33 : November 04, 2015, 06:03:17 PM »

Friday, 11/13 at MoMA: a restored Dino Risi: http://www.moma.org/calendar/events/1505?locale=en

A good appetizer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWJDsYg0tE

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #34 : November 24, 2015, 03:21:03 PM »

MoMA has an Antonio Pietrangeli retrospective coming Dec. 3-18. I'll miss the first weekend as I'll be in Tokyo, but I may catch some of these when I get back: I Knew Her Well (coming to Criterion early 2016); Adua and her Friends (I have this already on DVD); Ghosts of Rome (I could see this on Sunday, Dec. 13); La Visita; It happened in Rome; The Bachelor; Empty Eyes; March's Child; The Girl from Parma; The Magnificent Cuckold (with Cardinale). I gather that most of these are comedies, so Drink won't want to go. Anyone else gonna be in town?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #35 : November 24, 2015, 05:05:43 PM »

Some time after Thanksgiving.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #36 : November 25, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »

I Knew Her Well and La visita not to be missed. The Bachelor a Sordi's good, but Sordi is strictly for Italians.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #37 : November 25, 2015, 02:02:41 AM »

I Knew Her Well is an excellent film, and quite unknown. And not a comedy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #38 : November 27, 2015, 01:14:47 AM »

I gather that most of these are comedies, so Drink won't want to go. Anyone else gonna be in town?

I told you, even though my preference is not to watch comedy, I'm happy to come hang out with my boys cj &/or dj anytime my sked works out  ;)
I should be free this Saturday night (Nov. 28) anytime after 8 PM. On most weeknights, I should also be free around 8 PM or so.

If you wanna hang out this Saturday night I am down. send PM. Actually, better yet, send email. You never know when these new boards might be down for maintenance.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #39 : November 27, 2015, 08:24:17 AM »

Well, the retro I was talking about doesn't start until Dec. 3, and right now I'm saving all my shekels for Tokyo, so, sorry, I'm not gonna make it this weekend. And when I get back I'm gonna be pretty busy, so now I'm looking at Dec. 18 as the start of serious party season (the beginning of my Christmas break). Although, I may make one trip to MoMA before then.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #40 : April 05, 2016, 12:18:36 PM »

The Film Society of Lincoln Center has announced the lineup for La Magnani, a series dedicated to the film work of iconic Italian actress Anna Magnani, May 18 – June 1. The 24-title retrospective will screen entirely on 35mm and 16mm.
http://www.filmlinc.org/daily/celluloid-retrospective-films-anna-magnani/

I usually can't stand Anna Magnani--although I've seen her only in mature roles, maybe she was better when she was younger--but some of these are hard-to-see films that may never come again. Maybe titoli has some suggestions?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #41 : April 05, 2016, 02:32:14 PM »

Bellissima is Visconti's best movie and Magnani's best performance. In the top ten of Italy.

La carosse d'or comes second.

Pasolini's Mamma Roma is good and Nella città l'inferno too (though I never saw it from start to end).

Then there are movies like L'onorevole Angelina which I never saw  but everybody talks good about. Il bandito I saw it: it's good but not memorable. Risate di gioia i you can skip it. Campo de' fiori lame comedy. Not memorable are those made for tv and the american ones and the pre-war ones.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #42 : June 09, 2016, 09:16:43 AM »

A bunch of Eng. subbed Italian films have popped up on YouTube. Here's one with Cardinale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvssCgLZtv0

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #43 : June 10, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »

Here's a really good one (not with Cardinale, but you do get Lea Massari): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CfLcvh4BLw

Some interesting particulars are available at the YouTube page, to wit:
Published on Mar 30, 2016

FROM A ROMAN BALCONY, aka "La giornata balorda," is an Italian-French drama from 1960, directed by Mauro Bolognini. It stars Jean Sorel, Lea Massari, Jeanna Valerie, Valerie Ciangottini, Isabelle Corey and Paolo Stoppa. Also known as "Pickup in Rome" and "The Crazy Day," the movie is based on several short stories by Alberto Moravia, who collaborated on the screenplay with Pier Paolo Pasolini and Marco Visconti.

FROM A ROMAN BALCONY is the story of Davide (Sorel), a 20-year-old man, and his one-day search for a job that would provide security and decency for himself, for Ivana (Ciangottini), the teenage girl he hasn't been able to marry, and for their three-week-old son. In the course of the day, Davide is exposed to temptation in the form of several young women, including Freya (Massari), his new employer's mistress, and Marina (Valerie), a former lover, now a prostitute.

The Italian theatrical release of FROM A ROMAN BALCONY suffered many censorship problems, including the blocking of screenings and a criminal complaint against Bolognini, Moravia and Pasolini. Exactly one month after its November 1960 premiere, the film was pulled from all theaters in the country. After six months of negotiations with censors (who had already influenced the film's editing), FROM A ROMAN BALCONY was released in a further reduced edition, which eliminated several scenes of sensuality.

FROM A ROMAN BALCONY was extensively filmed on actual Roman locales, including the city's Via Tiburtina, where filmmakers captured the cacophonous atmosphere of a bustling tenement, filled with clotheslines, hawkers and hundreds of residents. It was photographed by Aldo Scavarda ("L'Avventura"), with music composed by Piero Piccioni ("La notte brava"). Paul Graetz ("A View From the Bridge," "Monsieur Ripois") was the producer.

The opening 3-minute take of balconies in a Roman tenement must be seen. The amazing jazz score must be heard.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #44 : June 22, 2016, 04:53:50 PM »

A bunch of Eng. subbed Italian films have popped up on YouTube. Here's one with Cardinale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvssCgLZtv0
This one has been taken down already. From a Roman Balcony is still up, though.

: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines