Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2022, 10:23:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Rush (2013) - Ron Howard
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Rush (2013) - Ron Howard  ( 2760 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« : June 20, 2016, 07:48:10 AM »

Rush (2013) 4K - 6/10. The rivalry between Formula 1 drivers James Hunt (Thor) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl), particularly during the 1976 season. Ron Howard has a very annoying approach to showing the races: everything is so cut up, you can't tell what the hell's going on. This being the case, Howard relies almost exclusively on on-scene media commentators to tell us what's happening ("Lauda's off to a bad start." "Lauda's been at the back of the pack, but now he's making his moooove"). So much for show don't tell. Also, there are very few driver's POV shots and those only of short duration. Is it so passé to show things from the driver's perspective, to give audience members the vicarious thrill of high-speed racing? Apparently. And to make the off-track goings on more palatable, Howard has loaded his lead characters with easily digested traits. Hunt is ALWAYS Mr. Party Hearty, Lauda is ALWAYS Mr. All Work, No Play. Do I need to mention that the story arc has the pair moving from mutual loathing to mutual admiration? Please be sure to properly dispose of your vomit as you exit the screening room.

Rush - Ron Howard

Well, a story which is based on facts, but is the opposite of the truth (according to St. Wiki), and Ron Howard, the master of mediocrity. 3/10

Wow - I have to disagree with both of you here. There were indeed some grating "Hollywood" moments, but the film itself was quite visceral. However, what really stood out to me was the incredible cinematography. I was impressed enough to look up a review with Anthony Dod Mantle which gives some great insight into the process:

https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/October2013/Rush/page1.php

Niki Lauda himself seems to have enjoyed it, noting that apart from exaggerating any animosity between him and Hunt, it was a pretty accurate account:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/rush/niki-lauda-interview/

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #1 : June 20, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »

I agree with DJ's review, though with a bit less disgust. I'd still give it a 6.5 or so. Have always hated Ron Howard, and only because he tries so hard to project himself as some great auteur filmmaker, when he is really just average. He's not bad, just all right, but it's his way of marketing himself that makes me hate him.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 21, 2016, 06:56:59 PM »

Actually while I sympathize with some of DJ's review, I'm confused by quite a lot too.

Firstly, there are actually a decent amount of driver's POV shots relative to the amount of racing shown. Most significant is the powerful and beautiful way Lauda's return is shot - we see everything through Lauda's eyes until he and the viewer are jolted back into the race (accompanied by a change in focus and color palette) when he swerves to avoid the crash in front of him.

Secondly, while the editing is more choppy than in classic racing flicks like "Grand Prix" or "Le Mans", the racing happily does not fall into the modern-day excuse for an action scene by darting a shaking camera all over the place as if it in someway induces excitement as a cover up for poor camera work. What was special about the racing scenes in Rush was that the camera got right into the helmets of the drivers not just as a POV but actually on the faces and eyeballs in close-ups during racing scenes that were clearly not manipulated by any CGI. It also went right into the cars to juxtapose the perfectly poised glamour on the outside with the roaring machines on the inside and the raw emotions of the drivers.

Thirdly, I do not tend to appreciate voice-overs either. I'm generally, but not exclusively, of the mind that if you need to narrate stuff then a book would have been a better medium than film. As a result I did not really appreciate Lauda's voice-over at the beginning (or later on for that matter). However, in terms of track commentary then you absolutely need it as F1 is a sport after all. Significantly, it is not just in English either. We hear a multitude of languages sometimes subtitled and sometimes just talking over each other. It all adds to the ambiance.

Fourthly, while I do agree that there was a little too much "Hollywood" in the film, it still had a real independent edginess to it that set it apart from the usual stuff foisted upon us (probably not surprising given that the F1 theme was catering more towards a market outside of the United States). The scene I found most annoying was probably the one with Hunt having sex with the air-stewardess. The brilliant transition in the next scene to the pumping pistons of a car would have been so much more effective had that been all we had been shown in reference to the sex act.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #3 : May 22, 2019, 07:52:08 PM »

Niki Lauda died two days ago. It made me think of this film. The best I've ever seen by Ron Howard (although there is a lot by him I haven't seen)

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines