Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 22, 2022, 02:48:46 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41
: Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)  ( 271957 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #435 : July 02, 2012, 05:49:35 PM »

Virtually all of today's TVs can reproduce a PAL signal...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that TVs sold in PAL countries tend to support NTSC, but TVs sold in NTSC countries (or perhaps just North America?) do not tend to support PAL.

... but most DVD Players in North America are set for Region 1 only.

The region encoding is not the same as the PAL/NTSC encoding. For example Europe is (mostly?) R2 PAL while Japan is R2 NTSC.

Many of those DVD players, however, can be "hacked" to make them "Region Free" by introducing a code with the remote control. I have a Philips BDP3406 Blu Ray player, cheap but and it plays anything you can imagine in any format: PAL, NTSC, MKV, AVI, you name it.

Yes, but bear in mind the hacks only work for the numerical (1,2...) DVD region encoding. The alphabetic (A,B,C) BD encoding cannot be modified like this and requires a new chip set to be introduced. This is why multi-region BD players tend to be twice the price of their single region counterparts and sellers are much harder to find.

can I do a one-time hack to get it to play everything? or would I have to keep switching back and forth between R1 and R2 every time I wanted to play one or the other? I'm not very technologically knowledgeable so I am hesitant to do anything that I couldn't easily reverse or that may screw me up.

Multi-region DVD players can play any disc at any time. It is only multi-region BD players that require you to turn off and back on again for BD playback from different regions. This is related to my comment above regarding the different encoding used for DVD regions and BD regions.

Consequently don't worry about the DVD "hack" as it is not like hacking a BD player. The DVD hacks are just manufacturer codes that allow them to use the same piece of software globally and then lock them to a region. When I unlocked my mother-in-law's player, it just produced a screen asking what region I would like or would I like all regions (i.e. region "0")?

As for the PAL/NTSC issue, you will need to check if your DVD player can handle both (via a built-in PAL-NTSC converter) or if your TV can handle both in its basic set-up. If one can, then you should be fine. Search on the internet or contact your manufacturers to find this out. Sometimes it can vary from product to product even from the same manufacturers

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #436 : July 02, 2012, 06:10:10 PM »

well if I can obtain 95% of all movies in R1/A (or region-free) reasonably well and with decent enough quality, it ain't worth it for me to go through all this hassle, for the handful of movies that maybe are better in Region 2/B. Is there really a significant number of dvd's/blu ray's that are better in Regions 2/B, with English audio? (I won't sacrifice English audio just to get better picture or sound quality). I'm only gonna think about making this switch if I can be sure that there are a significant number of Region 2/B discs that have Englis audio, and are significantly better than their R1/A counterparts

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #437 : July 02, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that TVs sold in PAL countries tend to support NTSC, but TVs sold in NTSC countries (or perhaps just North America?) do not tend to support PAL.

My mistake, you are correct. This,  however, is not a problem, since DVD players usually have a PAL/NTSC converter. Mine does.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp3406_f7/bdp3406_f7_dfu_aen.pdf

My collection of movies does not include Blu Ray for now, so since my Philips BDP3406 can play Region A it will be quite awhile before I need to upgrade. It also plays all sort of video files, including Matroska. And again, it can be hacked to make it DVD Region Free. >:D

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

« #438 : July 02, 2012, 10:02:32 PM »

can I do a one-time hack to get it to play everything? or would I have to keep switching back and forth between R1 and R2 every time I wanted to play one or the other? I'm not very technologically knowledgeable so I am hesitant to do anything that I couldn't easily reverse or that may screw me up. I never had a computer or other electronic shit as a kid, and seriously, to this day I get this Freudian anxiety at anything to do with electronics, even simplest things, like taking a new device out of the box and doing the basic set-up. I'm no spartan; I have a 32" LG HDTV, Samsung Blu Ray Player, and MacBook, and iPod with a touch screen.... But I still have this fear about goofing around with anything cuz I am worried I may not be able to get it back to how it was  ;)

On my Philips it is a one-time hack, and when you set it to Region 0 (Region Free) it will play any DVD regardless of the region it was encoded for. However, not all DVD players are hackable; or, if they are, their hack codes may not be known. You can do a search for your particular make and model, as there are many Samsungs. Try this page for starters:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/samsung-bd-p1600/10179

« : July 02, 2012, 10:07:18 PM O'Cangaceiro »
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #439 : July 05, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »

Could an Italian speaker kindly translate the following for me (principally the section in quotes):

Secondo Rik Battaglia, amico storico di Leone, Tonino Valerii aveva fatto scrivere sul contratto che Leone non fosse presente quando lui girava. Lo avrebbe imbarazzato. «Ma quando vide il girato, e lo vide molto presto, disse: “Questo gira come pensa che girerei io, ma io non girerei così”. E allora il film lo prese in mano lui. Si era allarmato molto. Magari lo ha lasciato girare un altro po', ma poi gli ha detto basta.»

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

« #440 : July 06, 2012, 04:33:50 AM »

Could an Italian speaker kindly translate the following for me (principally the section in quotes):

Secondo Rik Battaglia, amico storico di Leone, Tonino Valerii aveva fatto scrivere sul contratto che Leone non fosse presente quando lui girava. Lo avrebbe imbarazzato. «Ma quando vide il girato, e lo vide molto presto, disse: “Questo gira come pensa che girerei io, ma io non girerei così”. E allora il film lo prese in mano lui. Si era allarmato molto. Magari lo ha lasciato girare un altro po', ma poi gli ha detto basta.»
Here you go:
"According to Rick Battaglia, an old time Leone friend, Tonino Valerii asked for a clause in his contract stating that Leone should not be present while he was directing. He would have been embarassed by his presence. But once (Leone) saw what had been shot sofar, and he saw it quite soon, he said "This guy shoots like he thinks I would shoot the movie, but in fact this is not how I would shoot it." So he (Leone) took over the movie. He was very alarmed. He may have left a few more sequences for Valerii to shoot, but then he said enough"

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #441 : July 06, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

Great ...

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #442 : July 06, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »

Thanks so much Leonardo O0.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #443 : September 22, 2012, 06:56:59 AM »

French Blu-ray:

http://www.hdnumerique.com/actualite/articles/11155-mon-nom-est-personne-en-blu-ray-steelbook-le-18-septembre.html

Unfortunately it seems the French subtitles are forced when you select english audio  >:( :'(

http://www.spaghettiwesterndvds.com/2012/09/19/my-name-is-nobody-french-blu-ray-steelbook/

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #444 : October 13, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »

Received this in the mail recently:

There's a great chapter on who claims who directed what in My Name is Nobody. Unfortunately I don't speak Italian so can only piece together what it says from my knowledge of some other Romance languages  :-\

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #445 : October 13, 2012, 03:32:53 PM »

Unfortunately it seems the French subtitles are forced when you select english audio  >:( :'(

http://www.spaghettiwesterndvds.com/2012/09/19/my-name-is-nobody-french-blu-ray-steelbook/
Hmmm, that's the way it is when you select English audio on the German Tobis DVD too. Hopefully the day is coming when R1/RA consumers get to upgrade to a truly English-friendly edition.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #446 : October 13, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »

Received this in the mail recently:

There's a great chapter on who claims who directed what in My Name is Nobody. Unfortunately I don't speak Italian so can only piece together what it says from my knowledge of some other Romance languages  :-\
Dude, if you can deliver any kind of translation whatsoever you'll surely get inducted into the Fistful-Of-Leone Hall of Fame!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #447 : October 13, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »

Hmmm, that's the way it is when you select English audio on the German Tobis DVD too. Hopefully the day is coming when R1/RA consumers get to upgrade to a truly English-friendly edition.

i don't remember it doing that when I watched it.

Dude, if you can deliver any kind of translation whatsoever you'll surely get inducted into the Fistful-Of-Leone Hall of Fame!

hmm... will see

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #448 : October 14, 2012, 03:48:27 AM »

i don't remember it doing that when I watched it.

It didn't

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #449 : October 14, 2012, 03:49:26 AM »

But you don't expect to get a doubtless truth about this.

: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 41  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines