Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2021, 03:36:39 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)
0 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41
: Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)  ( 268335 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #450 : December 30, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »

I'm in middle of watching the movie now, on the Image disc (my only previous viewing of the movie was a few years ago, off iTunes).

The Image image is simply awful.

Although I should point out, it looks nothing like Beaver's screencap. (I got pissed off at some of the BS Beaver wrote and a while ago decided I'd use Beaver only for basic disc information, eg. a list of the bonus features; and for screencaps. But as I am watching the credit sequence, I am looking at beaver;s screencap, the one of Nobody with the stick about to strike the fish, and the picture looks NOTHING like Beaver's screencap; Beaver has it looking sandy/yellow, when in fact it is a darker color, much closer to the screncap of the Paramount R2 that beaver provides, than the one he provides that is supposedly taken from the Image disc! I've long suspected that these screencaps are far from perfect, depends on each person's system, etc. and now I will no longer be using that shitty Beaver site for screencaps either. To the extent that i ever go on that crappy site again, it will only be to get the basic info like a list of the bonus features on a disc; [I hope they are still reliable for that shit, more reliable than Amazon]. THAT's ALL.

Anyway, the Image disc is indeed awful. Everything looks way to dark. I know there is a Paranount region 2 disc out there; I am hoping we get a good R1 disc soon. (Does Paramount even own the movie's rights in America?) I'm not all that hot about the movie anyway -- I don't watch comedies, this is the first comedy I have seen in probably a year, just cuz I have to see the dvd once just for the sake of seeing it cuz it's a Leone movie -- but still, I like to see Leone movies treated well on dvd, and I think there is a enough interest in this title that would warrant a decent release.

The Image release is as bare-bones as bare-bones can get: it offers not a single thing other than the movie. Forget about any bonus feature, it doesn't even offer any other languages, or any subtitles at all. It's plain and simple: you stick the disc in and the only option you have other than just playing the movie, is to look at the chapter headings. That's all.

I am sure there is much more interest in this title than there is in The Colossus of Rhodes, and I seem to recall COR looking pretty good, and it had a Frayling commentary. I don't know what the deal is with who owns the American rights to this movie, but I certainly hope that something decent is done with it soon.

As of now, I haven't had much of a reason to invest in a region-free blu ray/dvd player, but eventually I may look into it. Can anyone suggest a good one that ain't too expensive?

Also, (thus far), this is the only movie I have seen Terence Hill in, I am just wondering, does he dub his own English dialogue, or is that someone else dubbing his English dialogue?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #451 : December 30, 2012, 04:16:12 AM »

There will be a German Blu too. Soon:

http://www.amazon.de/Mein-Name-ist-Nobody-Blu-ray/dp/B009X47QZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356866114&sr=8-2

But Paramount is no longer the company to hold the rights. And did not had them for the theatrical release back in the 60s. Same for Fod and FAFDM.

But as the master for the DVD was already a HD one, I assume it will be the same used for the Blu. Unless Paramount owns the rights on the transfer.

« : December 30, 2012, 04:19:38 AM stanton »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #452 : December 30, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »

D&D, sure Nobody is in parts a comedy, but the other half of it is a "serious" film built around the Peckinpah themes of the decline of the west. At least these parts you should be able to enjoy.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #453 : December 30, 2012, 04:31:19 AM »

D&D, sure Nobody is in parts a comedy, but the other half of it is a "serious" film built around the Peckinpah themes of the decline of the west. At least these parts you should be able to enjoy.

well it uses the decline of the west as a metaphor for the decline of the spag.

(somewhat similar to how OUATITW uses the decline of the west as a metaphor for the decline of the Western).

yes, the whole part about Fonda representing the AW and Hill representing the spag, which sort of picked up as the AW was declining... Yeah, I understood and appreciated it all. As well as the many references to earlier Leone movies. I would never call it a "serious" film, even though it does address certain themes.

Anyway, I guess it's alright for what it is: a comedy about the spag sub-genre, which had by 1973 become a parody of itself (I forgot where I first read that very appropriate term somewhere). No complaints about the movie. Just about the atrocious quality of the dvd.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #454 : December 30, 2012, 04:33:17 AM »

http://www.amazon.de/Mein-Name-ist-Nobody-Blu-ray/dp/B009X47QZ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356866114&sr=8-2

But Paramount is no longer the company to hold the rights. And did not had them for the theatrical release back in the 60s. Same for Fod and FAFDM.

But as the master for the DVD was already a HD one, I assume it will be the same used for the Blu. Unless Paramount owns the rights on the transfer.

well it was Paramount that released the Region 2 dvd

I don't really care which studio releases it, I just hope it's a decent studio that knows what it's doing.

Cuz Image Entertainment, whoever they are, obviously are unable and/or uninterested in putting out a half-respectable product. Im not expecting perfection or anything close to it; all I am asking for is the treatment that any middle of-the road 50's Western gets: a basic restoration, that's all. This movie looks like someone just took whatever the source was, transferred it straight to a disc and voila, released the dvd. Not even the slightest bit of restoration was done. I don't know who Image Entertainment is, and whether they have the resources to do any sort of restoration; and what the deal is with the rights. I just hope that it isn't a case where exclusive rights are held by a company that doesn't have the resources to put out a decent product. In that case, we are fucked.

I mean, this is really a title with what I imagine is a solid enough demand, that something decent should be done with it. (I'm not sure if this is the best way to guage interest, but) I just compared it on imdb to some of the most popular non-Leone spags: The Great Silence, A Bullet for the General, Django, The Big Gundown, The Mercenary (aka A Professional Gun), and Death Rides a Horse. Well, My Name is Nobody has a higher rating than all but one of these titles (7.4/10, while The Great Silence has a 7.7/10), and far more votes than any of the others.
True, spags in general haven't gotten the kindest dvd treatment, but the fact is that considering that it's associated with Leone and has a reasonable demand, there should be a decent dvd/blu ray treatment here

« : December 30, 2012, 04:47:24 AM drinkanddestroy »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #455 : December 30, 2012, 04:50:43 AM »

well it was Paramount that released the Region 2 dvd

Yes, that's what I said. Paramount had the rights for this one and for the first 2 Dollar films. They remastered them in HD quality, which wasn't necessary for the DVD. But now the Blus are released by Universum film. I'm sure they will try to top the Paramount releases. And maybe they use the same master anyway.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #456 : December 30, 2012, 04:56:10 AM »

Yes, that's what I said. Paramount had the rights for this one and for the first 2 Dollar films. They remastered them in HD quality, which wasn't necessary for the DVD. But now the Blus are released by Universum film. I'm sure they will try to top the Paramount releases. And maybe they use the same master anyway.

that's all wonderful, but I'd love to know what that means for us here in the good old US of A

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #457 : December 30, 2012, 08:44:32 AM »

... which, unlike the French release, will almost certainly not have locked in subtitles either  :)

Lil Brutto
Bounty Killer

« #458 : December 30, 2012, 11:23:04 AM »

Thanks for the info. I've been asking for info on Germany's BD releases of FOD and FAFDM for months with no response.

What it means for fans in North America is you're going to have import the discs and have a region free player if they're region locked.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #459 : December 30, 2012, 12:25:58 PM »

But both aren't released yet.

http://www.amazon.de/F%C3%BCr-eine-Handvoll-Dollar-Blu-ray/dp/B00A990CT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356895388&sr=8-1

According to Amazon they will have German and English audio and subs. Amazon.de (unlike Amazon.co.uk) normally lists all audio and subtitle options and the aspect ratio for every disc. Mostly their informations are reliable.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #460 : December 31, 2012, 12:09:59 AM »

What it means for fans in North America is you're going to have import the discs and have a region free player if they're region locked.

of course.

What I meant is, when (if ever) will we be getting an official Region 1/A dvd/br release?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #461 : December 31, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »

Just finished watching the movie (again, this was my 2nd viewing; the first was about 4 years ago, on a little laptop screen).

For what it is -- a comedy about the spag, the end of the spag, the spag as the new kid on the block, the Ternece Hill little brother to the Henry Fonda older brother AW -- it was enjoyable.

And btw, some of you may find Fonda's final, long speech to be corny -- and wished that the theme was left not spoken literally -- but I really loved it. It was the Western "signing off," (although the truth is, you can argue that this theme would perhaps have been more appropriate at the beginning of the spag era, rather than at the end; cuz the movie is sort of a "goodbye AW, hello spag,"  but who cares). I did find it nice to have the familiar, comforting voice of Henry Fonda signing off for the Western.

The Image image is awful. We really need a serious restoration.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #462 : December 31, 2012, 02:14:37 AM »

The problem with the speech it that it is a detailed interpretation of the film. It just tells you everything which you have already seen. and it is painfully long. In the German version Fonda's thoughts are abridged, the interpretation parts are much, much shorter and it has a lyrical feeling which is in accordance with the film's end.
Also in the Wild Bunch battle the "history books" part is slammed in the face of the viewer, in the German version you only see the images. Unfortunately the Italian version is the same as the English version.

And it is not exactly "hello Spag" as Hill's Trinity character represents also the ending of the SW.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #463 : December 31, 2012, 03:10:12 AM »

And it is not exactly "hello Spag" as Hill's Trinity character represents also the ending of the SW.

what i meant was that Beauregard (representing the AW) the previous great gunfighter, is saying goodbye; now, Nobody, the "new kid on the block" is taking his place -- he beat Beauregard, now the Wild Bunch is after him -- so the AW (the serious, the legendary) is saying goodbye, and the spag (the outrageous, silly) is taking its place.

However, at this time in film history, the spag had already come and was now on it's way out as well; the spag had now become a parody of itself, it was played out, and the successful spags now (eg. the Trinity movies) are the comedies which are making fun (or "commenting" or whatever) on the recent fad.

So, if you want to get all nuanced and technical about it, you can say that the theme of "goodbye AW, hello spag" would have been more appropriate a decade earlier; by this time, "Nobody" (ie. the spag) is already on his way out himself; so the theme of the AW exiting and the spag arriving, is not actualy commenting on a current phenomenon; rather, it's really commenting on a phenomenon that took place almost a decade earlier. A movie that is commenting on the current state of things should show Nobody on his way out the door himself.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry to much about this, cuz A) maybe the movie is indeed trying to portray the change that happened a decade earlier, rather than show a current change; and more importantly, B) it's a comedy and the themes are more broad and we shouldn't get too nuanced about it.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #464 : December 31, 2012, 03:28:37 AM »

But it is not a pure comedy.
In fact it is a pretty "serious" film which includes comedy parts in its storytelling (which Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid does also to give one example). And there is a lot more in it than in most serious films.

The fact that a film is a comedy (or partly a comedy) does not make a film a lesser one (in case you think that). What about Lubitsch's To Be or Not to Be? A comedy which handles an extremely serious thematic.

How comes you don't watch comedies?

: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 41  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines