Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2022, 10:20:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41
: Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)  ( 281596 )
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #540 : October 11, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »

When shooting the wild bunch shots during the cemetery scene, the director probably asked the DoP to get a few long shots of the wild bunch. He probably mentionned the need for a very long focale (it's at least 300mm from what I can see and the effect is very strong) and also told "it must look like they are 1.000". It doesn't. At all. It looks like they are 50:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/name-nobody-3.jpg

Yes, clumping them together in a narrow road does no favors for the illusion. Even 50's generous.

Saturday nights with Groggy
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #541 : October 11, 2014, 07:45:58 AM »

I thought the same while looking at the picture and writing that post. A possibility is that they never designed it this way but once on location the horse guy said "no way you're gonna ride my horse that fast outside the road" and they were screwed.

By the way, where did they shoot this? Chelly Canyon?

« : October 11, 2014, 07:51:13 AM noodles_leone »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #542 : October 11, 2014, 07:55:36 AM »

But you're way wrong when you say the movie looks cheap... It doesn't.

Granted, it doesn't look like OUATITW, but that's simply cause that's a Leone movie. :P

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #543 : October 11, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »

But you're way wrong when you say the movie looks cheap... It doesn't.

Granted, it doesn't look like OUATITW, but that's simply cause that's a Leone movie. :P

FACT 1: I am never wrong because of my Armenian origins. "Wrong" has no translation in Armenian. When we really have to we just use "Turkish".
FACT 2: OUATITW is a Valerii movie.

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #544 : October 17, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

It is not a Leone movie, hence it doesn not have or need its own section.

That's like saying SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARF'S isn't a Walt Disney Movie because Walt Disney didn't direct it
Or, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK isn't a George Lucas movie ' cuz Gl didn't direct it.

Y'all puttin' too much emphasis on the "directed by" credit.
bruce marshall

« : October 17, 2014, 01:59:03 PM uncknown »

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #545 : October 18, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »

That's like saying SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARF'S isn't a Walt Disney Movie because Walt Disney didn't direct it

Misfire: WDC was/is a production company, Sergio Leone wasn't, as far as I know.

Or, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK isn't a George Lucas movie ' cuz Gl didn't direct it.

Misfire #2: in fact it isn't. GL didn't strike me, unlike SL, as someone whose passion was focused just on the making of the movie, but more on the things 'around' the movie. Which was, without trying to diminish his role in the whole project, very practical.

Y'all puttin' too much emphasis on the "directed by" credit.
bruce marshall

You 'others' must be trying equally hard to discredit that role. Who is the 'owner' of a movie piece anyway, if not the director? - To answer that question you have to ask yourself a more practical one: who usually gets blamed if the movie ends up being a failure?

'Author' ? Please. Read above, I have no interest in illusory entities that show up only in time to harvest the cream.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #546 : October 18, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »

You 'others' must be trying equally hard to discredit that role. Who is the 'owner' of a movie piece anyway, if not the director?

In theory the director is 100% responsible of the movie. In real life (for movies that aren't blockbusters), he absolutely has to think and act as if he was 100% responsible, but he is only 60 to 80% responsible for it, because producers have a lot of power (as well as movie marketing people). Now we're talking about one of these rare and difficult cases where the producer is a (far most) famous director. Let's add that the movie is a western, which is the specialty of the producer. Also, the producer came up with the idea and probably supervised the writing of the script. Last, the producer directed some scenes and was often on the set (hint: regular producers never show up on set).

May be that doesn't make it a Sergio Leone film, but you can be sure it doesn't make it a 100% Valerii film either.

To answer that question you have to ask yourself a more practical one: who usually gets blamed if the movie ends up being a failure?

The "usually" argument is always fallacious. You're a fallacious person so it's ok. However, you shouldn't use it in this case since it doesn't support your point: who's usually blamed for MNIN's flaws and congratulated for its strengths? Sergio Leone.

I have a better question for you: would it be the same movie if Leone had not been involved? The movie wouldn't have happened at all.

Once again, it's kind of obvious that we're in one of these strange cases of co-directing. The movie is great so for the most part the co-directing thing went great so who cares.

« : October 18, 2014, 01:33:19 AM noodles_leone »

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #547 : October 18, 2014, 04:42:46 AM »

May be that doesn't make it a Sergio Leone film, but you can be sure it doesn't make it a 100% Valerii film either.

The discussion is on whether it is a SL movie or not, and not whether it's a Valerii movie or not. Since we're not on TV's forum here).

The "usually" argument is always fallacious. You're a fallacious person so it's ok. However, you shouldn't use it in this case since it doesn't support your point: who's usually blamed for MNIN's flaws and congratulated for its strengths? Sergio Leone.

Which is exactly why he didn't sign himself as the director there. A position he himself, being old school, cherished very much. He makes it very clear in that interview the director is the 'father' of the movie.

Let's face it: he knew all along it wasn't his caliber of excellence. It is unwritten yet sensed by everybody here, though you don't wanna say it, hah.

Plus, he did not write it alone.

I have a better question for you: would it be the same movie if Leone had not been involved? The movie wouldn't have happened at all.

Now that's a real facto-logically sound discussion... when the ''iffing'' starts.

« : October 18, 2014, 04:47:21 AM Dust Devil »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #548 : October 18, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »

The discussion is on whether it is a SL movie or not, and not whether it's a Valerii movie or not. Since we're not on TV's forum here).
And my point is: it's both.

Which is exactly why he didn't sign himself as the director there.

He didn't want to sign another western he was afraid of doing less good.

A position he himself, being old school, cherished very much.
A position he himself, being narcissic, cherished very much.

He makes it very clear in that interview the director is the 'father' of the movie.
See previous answers. Mix them and you have the answer for that point.

Let's face it: he knew all along it wasn't his caliber of excellence. It is unwritten yet sensed by everybody here, though you don't wanna say it, hah.

I have no problem saying it's not GBU or OUATITW but it's way better than FoD and probably better than FFDM.

Plus, he did not write it alone.
Most directors don't.

Now that's a real facto-logically sound discussion... when the ''iffing'' starts.

Dude, he came up with the idea. It's not a iffing, it's a fact.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #549 : October 19, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »

I believe we've had the debate about whether Leone or his cinematographers have primary responsibility for the look of his movies in this thread about the cinematographers http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11611.0

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #550 : October 19, 2014, 01:15:26 AM »

And of course MNIN should have it's own section just like the other Leones. Last Days of Pompeji too. The MNIN thread has already become too large and too unclear to find information if one searches for such.

I have a solution/compromise for this debate over whether MNIN should have its own section: How about starting some new threads (in this, "Other Films" section) on specific issues RE: MNIN, rather than posting everything MNIN-related in this one thread? That way, not every issue RE: MNIN will be discussed in this one thread, it'll be easier to separate different issues about this movie, and we can stop these endless debates about whether or not MNIN deserves its own thread. The title of each of these new threads should start with "MNIN:" so for example, you can make a thread entitled, "MNIN: Whose Movie Is It?" or "MNIN: What Do You Think of the Cinematography?" etc.   

« : October 19, 2014, 07:11:45 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #551 : October 19, 2014, 05:44:32 AM »

Another solution: having a "produced by Sergio Leone" section.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #552 : October 19, 2014, 05:57:08 AM »

What's with Pompeji?

Leone directed the whole movie (as far as I know), but the credit went to the original director. It is his real debut.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #553 : October 19, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »

Goddamnit, are you serious about The Last Days of Fucking Pompei?

tell me, how many times did you feel an urge to post about that movie?

We've had a thread about that movie http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=266.0 almost since the day these boards opened, and you know how many posts that thread has?

Six.

Count 'em. Six.  

The last one being over 4 years ago.

So how about we not worry about The Last Days of Pompei, eh?

Maybe we should give Bicycle Thieves its own section, too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ploONRiACko

« : October 19, 2014, 08:57:37 AM drinkanddestroy »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #554 : October 19, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »

What if we open another forum only for TLDoP? www.fistful-of-pompei.com

: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines