Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2022, 07:53:57 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41
: Il mio nome è Nessuno aka My Name Is Nobody (1973)  ( 288900 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #555 : October 19, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »

Goddamnit, are you serious about The Last Days of Fucking Pompei?

Still his first directed film. Nobody cares much for the Coloss either.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #556 : October 19, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »

Goddamnit, are you serious about The Last Days of Fucking Pompei?

tell me, how many times did you feel an urge to post about that movie?

We've had a thread about that movie  http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=266.0 almost since the day these boards opened, and you know how many posts that thread has?

Six.

Count 'em. Six.  

The last one being over 4 years ago.

So how about we not worry about The Last Days of Pompei, eh?

That's because it's a much more obscure film than Nobody, an entirely different issue from whether or not they're Leone films.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #557 : October 19, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

What's with Pompeji?

Leone directed the whole movie (as far as I know), but the credit went to the original director. It is his real debut.

Yes, he may have directed it, but he's not the author of it.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #558 : October 19, 2014, 09:39:29 AM »

I have no problem saying it's not GBU or OUATITW but it's way better than FoD and probably better than FFDM.

I see you're having trouble with your adding, boy.

« : October 19, 2014, 09:41:48 AM Dust Devil »

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #559 : October 19, 2014, 10:32:42 AM »

You're the trouble.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #560 : October 19, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »

MNIN has btw more replies than the colossal Colossus related part of the forum

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #561 : October 19, 2014, 12:47:36 PM »

Who's having trouble with his adding, now?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #562 : October 19, 2014, 01:11:47 PM »

MNIN has btw more replies than the colossal Colossus related part of the forum

I think it would be just fine if CoR didn't have its own section. It's unquestionably a Leone movie, but one that nobody talks about  :P

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

« #563 : October 20, 2014, 05:20:29 AM »

Who's having trouble with his adding, now?

40 % of the replies on this topic are like added zeros to the count. :)

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #564 : October 20, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »

n_l: when you talk about "cinematography," are you only referring to the lighting/color, or are you also referring to the camera work? Seems that you are only talking about lighting/color. So you're saying directors choose the shots, but rely on the DP for the proper lighting/color?

« : October 20, 2014, 04:39:51 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #565 : October 20, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »

I'm talking about both. Some directors are very specific about the shots they want, some don't work on it at all (they explain the feeling they need and the DP is in charge). I'm pretty sure Leone was very specific about what he wanted ("big close up, long focal, cut the chin" or "travelling from there to there when this guys moves, I want to see that other guy in the background over his shoulder"). Still, they worked together with the DP, the set designer, the assistant director and tens of other guys to get the best out of each shot, because that's how things work on a set. What I'm saying is that Leone probably knew the kind of framing he wanted but he would never get the same shot with 2 different DP. Just like GBU wouldn't be the same film if Bronson had played the part of Blondie. Directors of photography matter.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #566 : October 20, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »

n_l: when you talk about "cinematography," are you only referring to the lighting/color, or are you also referring to the camera work? Seems that you are only talking about lighting/color. So you're saying directors choose the shots, but rely on the DP for the proper lighting/color?

Depends on the director. Ideally he should everything. The DoP's job is to make the images the director wants. This includes of course colors and light. If the DoP decides what the camera does he is some kind of co-director.

Robert Aldrich said he always told the DoP exactly what he had to do, and there was no discussion about that.

« : October 20, 2014, 01:00:40 PM stanton »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #567 : October 20, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »

Ask two different actors the same thing, with the same blink at the same second, you'll get 2 performances that have very little to do with each other. Ask 2 DPs for the same shot, you'll get 2 different shots. The first job of the director is to get the right people for each job. Usually the DP is a better DP than the director, the sound guy is better at sound than the director, and so on. Being better means you can have better ideas than the director because you know what sound/light/film is. When those guys reach their limit, the director kicks in and ask for more :) As a director you spend more time saying "yes" or "no" than actually describing your vision.

And believe me, as a (ultra low budget) director, I'm a control freak. Still, if there is an academy award for your position, you're not switchable.

« : October 20, 2014, 01:19:27 PM noodles_leone »

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #568 : October 20, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »

Perhaps it was different in the studio-system days? Take Michael Curtiz, for example. That guy directed more legendary movies than almost anyone you can name, and his name NEVER comes up when talking about great directors. Roger Ebert once quoted Andrew Sarris (the biggest advocate of the auteur theory among American critics) as saying that CASABLANCA is the exception to the auteur theory, that producer Hal Wallis is most responsible for its success. And Curtiz may have been hurt by working in many different genres, so he isn't associated with e..g. the Western like Ford or the Thriller like Hitchock; and Curtiz didn't have a recognizable style. Nevertheless, no way would a director in the post-studio system with so many hit movies have the lack of fame that Curtiz does.
So, I'd assume that generally speaking, the older movies are less controlled by director?

Also, considering how much the director is now associated with his movies, how the auteur theory is so widely accepted (if not by name, then by subconcious assumption), I think directors nowadays consciously feel a need to put their "stamp" on a movie. Which IMO is a detriment, because the decisions they make aren't solely with the best interest of art in mind, but (at least partially) "I want people to be able to say 'this is a (insert name here) movie' "

« : March 18, 2017, 09:59:47 PM drinkanddestroy »

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #569 : October 20, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »

Because if you put aside all kind of producers vs director struggle, in the end, the director approved everything you see and ear on screen. He hired the people who worked on it, he gave them directions and he said "it's a wrap!". That makes him responsible for everything. That is, except Valerii, just because. To put it in fewer words: the director is hired for his vision, hence, he IS an auteur.

: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 41  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines