Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 29, 2024, 07:46:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Michael Cimino (1939 - 2016)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
: Michael Cimino (1939 - 2016)  ( 26390 )
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #75 : January 10, 2022, 04:30:15 PM »

I'm gonna disappoint both of you: I have absolutely no memory of it. Not a single image. I have seen it twice. The second time, I launched the DVD because I thought I had never seen it.
So I've seen it twice and still don't remember anything.

Damn. 5 years later I was still thinking I hadn?t seen it and now I?m reading this message.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #76 : August 21, 2023, 06:27:41 PM »

During my recent trip to Paris I picked up a copy of Thoret?s documentary on Cimino (I already have the book) along with a copy of Cimino?s own ?conversations en miroir? (the first half of which is apparently a biography of sorts).

Then during a diversion in Brussels, I found a used bookstore with stacks of old film magazines. In there I found the ?Cahiers du cinema? issue with the long article about Cimino by Thoret. Turns out that article is reprinted as a supplement with the documentary, but at least I now have the original, full spread magazine article with a bunch of different photos.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #77 : October 14, 2023, 04:04:14 PM »

During my recent trip to Paris I picked up a copy of Thoret?s documentary on Cimino (I already have the book) along with a copy of Cimino?s own ?conversations en miroir? (the first half of which is apparently a biography of sorts).

The documentary had a lot of potential. Hearing Cimino?s own voice as we explored locations was hauntingly evocative. It reminded me somewhat of Kris Kristofferson bringing Billy the Kid back to life in the documentary ?Requiem for Billy the Kid?. Unfortunately, the director did not put this to anywhere near as much use as he could have done. And while there were some interesting moments, it became a rather more run-of-the-mill affair with too much focus on the Deer Hunter and talking heads giving opinions. Thoret?s book is much better. If only this documentary could have been more like that and then have brought it to life with Cimino?s own voice and filming locations ?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #78 : October 15, 2023, 05:26:55 AM »

From what I understand there are 2 versions of this documentary, one that was released on TV and that Thoret hates, one that was released in theater and now on DVD. You probably saw the "real" theater version. I only saw the TV version and it kinda suck. I own the book and hsould give it a try. Thoret is sometime fascinating to listen and sometimes way too lost in his own obsessions (like how 100% of american movies of the new hollywood, which acording to him include Cimino and Mann, are summed up in the "We blew it" line from Easy Rider, and also that 100% of american movies are haunted by the JFK assassination, and lastly just the fact that he wanted to be a filmmaker of the new hollywood and tends to fetichise those guys even more than their movies) to actually talk about cinema.
Interestingly, he recently mentioned that Eastwood was supposed to be in that doc, maybe not even as a talking head but just as a guy sitting in a chair and looking at the camera. Anyway, Eastwood said yes to be in the movie but they missed each other because of schedule issues.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #79 : October 18, 2023, 09:40:22 AM »

Interesting that there are two versions. Well sadly, he missed a great opportunity with this one and ended up just producing something not particularly memorable. If only he had just focused on bringing his excellent book to life visually, it could have been amazing. Ah well.

« : October 18, 2023, 09:43:44 AM Novecento »
: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines