Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2022, 10:48:03 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Brown's Requiem (1998) Best P.I. flick of the 90's?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Brown's Requiem (1998) Best P.I. flick of the 90's?  ( 287 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : October 11, 2022, 02:41:27 PM »

Or of the last 30 years? Based on a Ellroy's book (must buy it), it shows solidity in the plot, the main asset. What I don't like is the protagonist: his voice, mainly. The lead should have a baritone or a bass voice in these movies, he sounds like a soprano or about. But that deters little from the final result. CJ will probably complain about the lack of noirsville shots. Me, I don't trade them with plot and characters. 8/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : October 11, 2022, 07:20:52 PM »

Or of the last 30 years? Based on a Ellroy's book (must buy it), it shows solidity in the plot, the main asset. What I don't like is the protagonist: his voice, mainly. The lead should have a baritone or a bass voice in these movies, he sounds like a soprano or about. But that deters little from the final result. CJ will probably complain about the lack of noirsville shots. Me, I don't trade them with plot and characters. 8/10

Wrong....

https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2017/12/browns-requiem-1998-forgotten-la-neo.html

« : October 11, 2022, 07:22:11 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : October 11, 2022, 08:56:30 PM »

So you agree about the lack of noirsville shots?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : October 12, 2022, 04:13:49 AM »

So you agree about the lack of noirsville shots?

All the images posted are what I consider what you are calling Noirsville shots.

I consider Film Noir a Style not a Genre. Noir is a Pan-Generic Dark Story coupled with a Visual Style with enough of those elements to tip a film "Noir" for you the Viewer.

That is why you have, besides the Crime Noir, a handful of Noir Westerns (Blood On The Moon, Pursued, Outcasts of Poker Flats, The Great Silence) Noir Dramas (In A Lonely Place, Sweet Smell Of Success, The Set-Up), Noir Sci-Fi Decoy, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Thing From Another World, Blade Runner, Dark City, Bio Noirs I Want To Live, Why Must I Die?, Lenny, Raging Bull, The Notorious Betty Page, I, Tonya, Horror Noir The Leopard Man, Cat People, The 7th Victim, Dementia aka (Daughter Of Horror,Carnival Of Souls, Thriller & Suspense Noir Vertigo, Psycho, Peeping Tom, Purple Noon, Night Tide, Experiment in Terror, Fantasy Noir Repeat Performance, Alias Nick Beal, Angel Heart, Cast a Deadly Spell, Exploitation Noir The Beat Generation, The Wild Party, The Girl In Black Stockings, Pickup on Dope Street, Sweet Love, Bitter , Girl In Trouble, Flesh & Lace, Aroused, The Pick-Up, Sweet Sweetback's Badass Song, Shaft, Superfly, Fleshpots of 42nd Street, Experimental Noir The Savage Eye,The Glass Cage, Seconds, there are even a handful of Noir musicals, Party Girl, The Adventuress, Victims of Sin, The Ogre of Athens, The Red Lanterns, Pennies From Heaven .

"There are nine film noirs identified in Charles O?Briens essay (Film Noir In France: Before The Liberation): Pierre Chenal?s ?Crime and Punishment? (1935), Jean Renoir?s ?The Lower Depths? (Les Bas-fonds) (1936), Julien Duvivier?s ?P?p? le Moko? (1937), Jeff Musso?s ?The Puritan? (1938), Marcel Carn??s ?Port of Shadows? (Le Quai des brumes) (1938), Jean Renoir?s ?La B?te Humaine? (1938), Marcel Carn??s ?H?tel du Nord? (1938), Marcel Carn??s ?Le Jour se l?ve? (Daybreak) 1939, and Pierre Chenal?s ?Le Dernier Tournant? (1939).

Five of the films are of the poetic realism movement (although as with anything else that could be debated): ?The Lower Depths,? ?P?p? le Moko,? Port of Shadows,? ?La B?te Humaine? and ?Le Jour se l?ve.? The other four films contain similar themes. In three of the films the protagonist commits suicide and suicide plays a role in two other films. In three of the films the protagonist is incarcerated or executed by the state. In one film the protagonist is killed senselessly. Three films have wives conspiring with lovers to kill husbands. In two films the protagonist survives with a lover although what follows that survival isn?t clear and in one film one lover is shot in a botched suicide pact. What also isn?t clear is whether there are more films called ?noirs? that will show up with subsequent research and whether similar and earlier films made before the term ?film noir? first hit ink are also film noirs.

The film noirs considered part of the poetic realism movement have a visual style that would influence the American crime film made both during and after the war with ?Port of Shadows? being the most obvious example, the other films are made in different styles. The remaining films ? ?H?tel du Nord? and ?Le Dernier Tournant? ? are filmed in a more conventional style although the content contains murder or suicide and the other social taboos that are a mainstay of the film noirs.

None of these films are about private detectives hard-boiled or otherwise and none of them are police procedurals or stories where the police ? or any member of governmental society ? are seen as heroic. The films are about the working class and those below the working class or, in a few films, what was once referred to as the Lumpenproletariat. In fact, there isn?t a single crime film ? as that term is conventionally used ? in the list. ?P?p? Le Moko,? a film that centers on a fugitive criminal hiding in the Casbah of Algiers, is a film about memory and desire more than anything else and its suicide ending has to do with facing what the character believes he has lost and not the possibility of incarceration." (William Ahern)

Also Films Noir have a Yin and a Yang. The Yin Noirs are the Dark noir, the claustrophobic, shadowy, city set films the Noir that most folks are familiar with. Most of the Classic Hollywood Noir are Yin Noir. The Yang Noir are the Film Soleil Noir, those sun baked, filled with light Desert or Tropical set Noir, a lot of Neo Noir are Yang - Film Soleil Noir.

« : October 12, 2022, 05:35:59 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : October 12, 2022, 05:31:00 AM »

Sorry, but for me "No Crime No Noir".

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : October 12, 2022, 05:38:50 AM »

Sorry, but for me "No Crime No Noir".

Only if you Consider Noir A Genre, which I don't.

But its your opinion and there are Hollywood Noir with no CRIME.

« : October 12, 2022, 06:27:13 AM cigar joe »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : October 13, 2022, 12:13:47 AM »

Only if you Consider Noir A Genre, which I don't.

But its your opinion and there are Hollywood Noir with no CRIME.

So, if I read you well, you ought to consider this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfEp5t2FlE

The first noir movie ever. Am I right?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : October 15, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »

So, if I read you well, you ought to consider this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfEp5t2FlE

The first noir movie ever. Am I right?

Proto Noir also the Dr. Mabuse films

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #8 : October 16, 2022, 02:03:15 AM »

Proto Noir also the Dr. Mabuse films

Of course. But is Caligari a proto noir? Acrtually, the very first one?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #9 : October 16, 2022, 03:41:28 AM »

Of course. But is Caligari a proto noir? Acrtually, the very first one?

It could be, I can't say that it's definitely the first, I haven't watched many, never saw The Tunnel (1915), The Mandarin (1918) Opium (1919) Morn to Midnight (1920) or other German Expressionist films other than Caligari, and Nosferatu (1922). Have you see these others?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #10 : October 16, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »

It could be, I can't say that it's definitely the first, I haven't watched many, never saw The Tunnel (1915), The Mandarin (1918) Opium (1919) Morn to Midnight (1920) or other German Expressionist films other than Caligari, and Nosferatu (1922). Have you see these others?

Morn to Midnight I did. It's even more extreme, visually, than Caligari: actually it is considered the most extreme of them all.  The other ones, I should check the original titles. But I just wanted to know your view about it. Which I do not share, of course. But now your idea it's clear, at least.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines