Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Winter Sleep (2014)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Winter Sleep (2014)  ( 4617 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #15 : February 17, 2017, 10:43:39 PM »

For the record I have seen this and it's much, much better than Silence. BUT. It still is similarly a very long, meditative, kinda boring, heavily religious movie. I know that doesn't sell it much but I do recommend watching it, even if just once. It's a great example of long conversations being able to carry a 3 hour movie without much issue.

I remember at one point watching this, saying out loud: "this movie looks beautiful - a great example of why film should never die!". Boy did I feel like an idiot afterwards. But it certainly gives hope for the future of the digital revolution.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #16 : February 18, 2017, 03:31:05 PM »

One of the things in Winter Sleep I like very much is the way in which several characters are given space so as to allow a sympathetic hearing of who they are and what they feel. Usually a narrative film will privilege one character over others; the other characters are seen from that character's point of view, and ultimately, that point of view colors our understanding of everyone and everything else. Not so in WS. Probably because the script is derived from several short stories, each with its own central character and perspective, many of the characters get very long moments under the spotlight. As a result, none of the characters seem to be there just to further the plot. They're there because they're real--that is, as if they existed in our real world. Their monologues and conversations give us a window into what appears to be very full interior lives. It's actually difficult to say who the main characters are, except for the fact that we spend more time with some of them.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines