Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2022, 11:38:12 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone's League
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
: Leone's League  ( 27279 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #60 : June 11, 2005, 08:59:51 PM »

I just saw Bertolucci's Novecento. WOW! As good as any Leone movie I've seen. Very much on par with Leone's style. The only things I think were lesser than Leone was the camera work, the aspect ratio and the use of music. The camera work is too sloppy for the kind of shots Bertolucci tries to achieve. His vision is amazing, but sometimes the camera movements are too jarry, too fast, or uneven. Just imagine how much more great the movie would have been had someone like Delli Colli handled the cinematography.

Then there's the aspect ratio. It seems too small for the kind of shots he wants to achieve. Of course it's his choice what he uses, but there's so much more in the shot that seems crammed in there and cut off and it makes the camera work have even more of a kind of half-assedness about it. As much as it is his preferences, he could've achieved much more and it would've fit the epic scope of the movie more to have had a wider lens. Maybe he did feel oppressed? :(

I'm not saying his visual style is terrible, I just think there was enough room to improve it rather than coming off just a little half-assed in certain areas. Maybe the combination of his style and a more hindering lens isn't his problem, maybe it's just Storaro?

Also, had his use of music been approached with the importance that Leone approaches it with, 1900 would've been way more deep and defined I think.

I think Bertolucci is very much on par with Leone, but in areas where he could've moved much further and gone to greater heights without having to go out on a limb to do it he could've made a movie like 1900 way better. I'm a little ignorant as I haven't seen other classics like Spider's Stratagem or The Conformist, but five hours seems like good enough time to get to know Bertolucci I should think :)

1900 has to be one of the most artsiest, ambitious films I've ever seen.

: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines