Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2022, 10:13:27 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sword & Sandal Epics
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Sword & Sandal Epics  ( 5511 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : February 02, 2003, 06:36:21 AM »

A bit off the topic. Since Leone cut his teeth on these S&S Epics culminating with the "Colossus of Rhodes" lets make a list of the best of them.

I don't remember much of the "Colossus of Rhodes" if I saw it at all, but these were another Saturday matinee and TV afternoon staple back in the 50'S and 60's. I remember countless "Hercules" movies and the lower budget "Machiste" flics, along with "Jason and the Argonauts", and the "Clash of the Titans".

Here is my short list skewed to the more recent examples with two TV mini series that are right up there thrown in (Ive left out Cof R until I view it again):

1. Gladiator
2. I, Claudius (tv)
3. Spartagus
4. Ben Hur
5. Odysseus (tv)
6. Clash of the Titans
7. Barabus
8. 300 Spartans
9. Jason and the Argonauts

« : February 08, 2003, 11:31:11 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #1 : March 03, 2003, 04:56:19 AM »

I think it's worth noting that as well as COLOSSUS OF RHODES, Leone worked on the following Peplum:

DUEL OF THE TITANS (Script)
LAST DAYS OF POMPEII (Director,Script)
THE SEVENTH CHALLENGE (Script)
SIGN OF THE GLADIATOR (Story)
SLAVE GIRLS OF SHEBA (Script)
SLAVE WOMEN OF CORINTH (Script, Assistant Director)
SON OF THE RED PIRATE (Assistant Director)

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

« #2 : March 03, 2003, 09:31:05 AM »

And Ben-Hur (1959), by the way the best peplum there is in my humble opinion...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : March 03, 2003, 06:51:20 PM »

I remember "The Last Days of Pompeii" on the local NY tv show called "The Million Dollar Movie". They showed the same movie for each night for one week. I thought  it was an ok movie. The low budget "Machiste" movies were a hoot though

« : March 03, 2003, 06:53:10 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Halis
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #4 : March 05, 2003, 06:05:26 AM »

The story behind Leone directing LAST DAYS OF POMPEII was that he was promoted from assistant director to director when the original director Mario Bonnard fell ill.
Whether this was a genuine illness or a convenient illness so that Bonnard could go to work on an Alberto Sordi movie called GASTONE, is open to conjecture.
However, Leone stated that since POMPEII had already been set up by Bonnard, he felt that he had to direct it in Bonnard's style, rather than attempting to impose his own style. This may explain why POMPEII is rather dull and stolid when compared to COLOSSUS where Leone was able to give free rein to his ingenious camera trickery.

I neglected to mention BEN HUR amongst Leone's Peplum, since this is clearly an American production, but  perhaps we should also mention SODOM AND GOMORRAH where Leone worked as assistant director to one of his American idols, Robert Aldrich. There was a massive falling out and depending on whose account you read,Leone was either fired because of laziness, or quit because of the way the Americans were squandering the money invested by Titanus, the Italian Production Company.

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #5 : March 05, 2003, 03:06:39 PM »

I agree with Il Buono:

Ben Hur must be the best peplum ever made.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #6 : March 06, 2003, 02:26:05 PM »

Ben-hur is a great movie but I would say Spartacus is the best of these movies-brilliant acting,great dialogue,superb action and an ending which used to make me cry!
I read somewhere that Sergio leone directed the battle scene in Sodom and Gomorrah,the film is not brilliant but this battle is superb and goes on for ages!

visitor
Bandido

« #7 : June 12, 2005, 07:34:56 AM »

I think it's worth noting that as well as COLOSSUS OF RHODES, Leone worked on the following Peplum:

DUEL OF THE TITANS (Script)
LAST DAYS OF POMPEII (Director,Script)
THE SEVENTH CHALLENGE (Script)
SIGN OF THE GLADIATOR (Story)
SLAVE GIRLS OF SHEBA (Script)
SLAVE WOMEN OF CORINTH (Script, Assistant Director)
SON OF THE RED PIRATE (Assistant Director)

browsing thru old posts.........
I've  copies of POMPEII, SIGN/GLADIATOR, DUEL/TITANS & COLOSSUS,  Does any one have any type of info on SLAVE WOMEN or RED PIRATE?(availability, quality, more importantly, WATCHability?)

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines