Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 08:50:55 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Nordic Noir- Department Q:The Absent One (2014)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Nordic Noir- Department Q:The Absent One (2014)  ( 1353 )
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

« : May 08, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »

* This review may contain spoilers ***

Nearing the end of the magnificent second series of the Nordic Noir TV show Follow The Money,I started to read the Nordic Noir book Mercy (Department Q 1)by Jussi Adler-Olsen. Looking for more info on Olsen's work,I checked online,and found three Department Q adaptations. Deciding to not watch Mercy until I finished the book,I got set to meet the absent ones.

The plot:

At an office party,police officer Carl Mørck is approached by an old man who asks if Mørck's Department Q has look into the cold case related to the death of his children. Feeling uneasy round him, Mørck gets the guy thrown out. Later that night, Mørck learns that the man has killed himself. Regretting his words, Mørck and fellow officer Assad open the files on the dead man's twins,and discover a murderous class from twenty years ago, who are now in the top class of society.

View on the film:

Going back and forth over 20 years, the screenplay by Nikolaj Arcel & Rasmus Heisterberg gaze upon the "murderous boarding school" sub- section of the Giallo genre,where the students are taught a vicious Noir arrogance that is left to fester for 20 years. Along with the school antics giving their Jussi Adler-Olsen adaptation a visceral edge,the writers strike the present with a deep Nordic Noir pessimism,as Mørck and Assad's investigation leads to an intense unlocking of the business elite (a major theme of the genre) ) that sets alight a superb,grim final page for Department Q.

Looking towards the Giallo,director Mikkel Nørgaard & cinematographer Eric Kress take advantage of the school setting for a slice of sleaze,via the fading gold colurs of the flashbacks being torn with naked girls,masked thugs and deep red blood being rubbed on the screen. Limiting any bright lights to the past, Nørgaard makes the teams investigation one that smashes the pristine glass world of the killers,to expose the moulding blacks and greens under the surface.

Years before putting on the mild-manner business glasses of Simon in Follow the Money,David Dencik gives a wonderful, uncomfortably meek performance as Ulrik Dybbøl,whilst Sarah-Sofie Boussnina gives an excellent,ticking time bomb performance as Kimmie. Attemping to learn what took place 20 years ago, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Fars Fares give great,burnt-out,Nordic Noir loner performances as Mørck and Assad,who both meet the chosen ones.

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #1 : May 08, 2017, 04:49:11 PM »

Thanks, I'll put this on my list. I've been looking for some more Nordic Noir.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : May 09, 2017, 03:23:23 AM »

Sounds good, another Nordic Noir series to check out is Finland's Raid (2000) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0229924/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_19

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
morrison-dylan-fan
Bandido

« #3 : May 29, 2017, 04:22:58 PM »

Thanks, I'll put this on my list. I've been looking for some more Nordic Noir.

Hi Jess,a box set of the three Department Q movies has recently come out in the US :

https://www.amazon.com/Department-Trilogy-Nikolaj-Lie-Kaas/dp/B01LXUZO67

Jessica Rabbit
Gunslinger

« #4 : May 30, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »

Thanks, mdf.

Jessica Rabbit
"I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines