Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2021, 06:55:39 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Les Diaboliques (1955)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Les Diaboliques (1955)  ( 710 )
moorman
Gunslinger

« : January 17, 2019, 11:24:05 AM »

My journey into foreign films has taken me to Henri Clouzot.  I was pleasantly surprised and even more surprised to find out that Hitchcock tried to get rights to the film first.  The plot is simple:  A wife and mistress in love with the same man conspire to knock him off.  SPOILER ALERT.  When the husband was not found at the bottom of that pool that really threw me for a loop.  Most directors couldn't have pulled this off and kept the suspense but Clouzot did a fantastic job here.  The acting and cinematography was first rate.  The plot exceptional.  I rate this a solid 8 out of 10...

« : January 18, 2019, 07:59:00 AM moorman »
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #1 : January 17, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »

When the husband was not found at the bottom of that pool that really threw me for a loop.  Most directors couldn't have pulled this off and kept the suspense but Clouzot did a fantastic job here. 

For me he didn't. For me it was pretty clear what would happen at the end, and I knew it would kill the film. The ending was even worse than expected.

I think this kind of cheap and foreseeable surprises are exactly that what Hitchcock mostly steered clear of. I'm sure if he had bought the rights he would have presented the solution much, much earlier, and then relocated the suspense. As he did in most of his great films. And when he worked with a surprise, then it was an unusual one, one that was very difficult to foresee. Like in Psycho.

But apart from the thriller aspects ( ;) ) Les diaboliques was indeed a well made and atmospheric film, with, yes, fine acting and photography.

moorman
Gunslinger

« #2 : January 17, 2019, 02:24:23 PM »

For me he didn't. For me it was pretty clear what would happen at the end, and I knew it would kill the film. The ending was even worse than expected.

I think this kind of cheap and foreseeable surprises are exactly that what Hitchcock mostly steered clear of. I'm sure if he had bought the rights he would have presented the solution much, much earlier, and then relocated the suspense. As he did in most of his great films. And when he worked with a surprise, then it was an unusual one, one that was very difficult to foresee. Like in Psycho.

But apart from the thriller aspects ( ;) ) Les diaboliques was indeed a well made and atmospheric film, with, yes, fine acting and photography.

I can see the plot not fooling some people.   What threw me off is the very good acting job by the mistress.  I agree with you point about it the photography also...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines