Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2022, 11:04:24 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Roma (2018) - Alfonso Cuarón
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Roma (2018) - Alfonso Cuarón  ( 1978 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« : March 20, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »

Roma (2018) - 8.5/10

Can you imagine Tarkowski at the top of his game doing a (almost) mainstream movie, grounded in the extremely detailed reality of Mexico in the 70's? This is what you get here and this is objectively a masterpiece that is both intimate and epic, comic and tragic, social and metaphysical. It's been released 3 days ago and saying it's pure cinema is already a cliché. In a non absurd world it would be nominated at the academy awards in most categories, and win all the major ones. Now I'm only giving it 8.5 because it's a subjective rating and I have problems with this kind of main characters.

Objectively:

Cinematography: 15/10
Performances: 9/10
Screenplay: 10/10
World creation: 12/10
Ambition: 10/10

WTF

I was tearing my hair out halfway through waiting for this shit to end.

I agree that the performances, cinematography and world creation are great. But I find nothing interesting about this story. This movie gets a 5.5/10

I've noticed that lately, you're throwing words "objectively" into your comments, to try to throw extra weight behind supporting shit, like this movie and Orson Welles  :P

Oh, that dramatic beach scene is done (as I recall) in one take, and that is indeed great.

;D

I knew you would never like it.

And I know i’ve been using “objectively”, because film reviewing has to (try to) be from time to time. When a movie is an influential masterpiece, nobody (and I mean it) cares if you liked it or not , if it’s your thing or not. And very few care if it’s flawed (they usually are because ambition and radicality tend to lead to bypassing stuff you aren’t supposed to). It changes history and opens a new path for filmmakers so why the hell am I going to waste my time listening to people - like me - who didn’t like the main character?

Now, it’s easier to call Citizen Kane an influential masterpiece than a movie like Roma, because for the later I don’t have decades of clearly influenced (for the better) films to show. But if there was mone at stake, that’s where I would place my bet, pretty confidently.

I may totally be wrong, though. For instance I sometimes wonder wether I have somehow overstated There Will Be Blood’s influence. Maybe it was already part of a starting trend and not the only big milestone.

So please don’t read my use of “objectively” as “i’m right and you’re wrong” but more as “you’re totally off topic”  >:D

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #1 : March 20, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

I think the only thing I had seen by Cuarón before this was "Y tu mamá también" which was a very long time ago when released. Roma just confirms again what I've said before:  along with the works of Larraín and Iñárritu, and also del Toro although I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre, Latin America is really where it's at these days in terms of directorial talent.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #2 : March 20, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »

I think the only thing I had seen by Cuarón before this was "Y tu mamá también" which was a very long time ago when released. Roma just confirms again what I've said before:  along with the works of Larraín and Iñárritu, and also del Toro although I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre, Latin America is really where it's at these days in terms of directorial talent.

So you haven't seen Children of Men ? Maybe I already asked.

« : March 20, 2019, 01:56:50 PM noodles_leone »

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #3 : March 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM »

Yeh you did and no not yet. I will eventually...

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines