Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2022, 10:34:08 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Ford v Ferrari" (aka "Le Mans '66") - Mangold (2019)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: "Ford v Ferrari" (aka "Le Mans '66") - Mangold (2019)  ( 3184 )
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« : August 14, 2019, 06:45:27 PM »

Was apparently going to be helmed by Michael Mann at one point. He is apparently now working on a biopic of Enzo Ferrari with Hugh Jackman instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #1 : December 21, 2019, 06:11:34 AM »

I really enjoyed this. Some great scenes and some classic, old school film-making in some respects (in spite of a few grating moments too). I think any reviewers who complained about us not getting a better picture of Shelby's actual personal life, kinda missed the point. My dad remembers the actual race itself way back then.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #2 : December 21, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »

I really enjoyed this. Some great scenes and some classic, old school film-making in some respects (in spite of a few grating moments too). I think any reviewers who complained about us not getting a better picture of Shelby's actual personal life, kinda missed the point. My dad remembers the actual race itself way back then.
Given that we get plenty of stuff about Miles' personal life I don't think we need to hear about Shelby's. There's only so much room for that kind of thing in this kind of movie. In fact, I really liked all the stuff with the driver's wife and son. Stuff about Shelby would have gotten in the way.

I liked the film a lot and I especially enjoyed seeing it in IMAX. My only criticism is that they made Bebe into a bad guy, when the true history of the events show that that was not the case. But, of course, this is what movies always do with historical characters.

I liked the film so much I read the book that inspired it. I also went back and watched all my favorite racing movies on home video: Grand Prix, Le Mans, A Man and a Woman. I also got a copy of Ron Howard's Rush and gave it another chance and decided it wasn't such a bad film (it's just that Howard doesn't really care about racing, unlike Frankenheimer or McQueen). I guess I should try to find a copy of Winning . . . .

« : December 21, 2019, 09:41:57 AM dave jenkins »

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #3 : December 21, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »

Haha. I'm glad you guys liked this one. How old are your kids?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #4 : December 26, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »

Well I'd still take Le Mans '70 (or rather the original Steve McQueen Le Mans movie) over Le Mans '66 (or Ford V Ferrari).  They'd lost the running start that year (1969 being the last). There was nothing about Ford v Ferrari that blew me away in terms of style. It was just some great classic movie making. I only wish they had shot it on film. Ken Miles clearly should be way more famous today than he is though--and probably would be if it hadn't been for that PR stunt.

I don't take much issue with artistic license unless it interferes with the realism. "Rush" for example was apparently pretty true to life and captured Hunt's and Lauda's personalities well. The only difference was that in real life they were best buddies and apparently even chose hotel rooms next to each other before that final Suzuka race. I thought the cinematography in "Rush" by Anthony Dod Mantle was really impressive.

The Saul Bass influence in Grand Prix really helps make it a classic. The early scenes of Monaco are of course great. Nice to see Toshiro Mifune in it too.

Curious to see "A Man and a Woman now"...

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #5 : December 27, 2019, 01:53:51 AM »

Yeah, it was very good. The Italian "bad guy" thing was a little bit childish in its implementation, but many very good scenes
and fantastic cars. For me just perfect, sportscars from '64 - "73 are the best - for my money anyway...

The Steve film of course is the only true film about racing... my little connection with it: when I made my film about
the Opel GT 10 years ago, I filmed Hans Herrmann for it. He lives a mile away from my house and was a
test driver for the GT in 1967. He ALSO won Le Mans for the very first time for Porsche the very year Steve
made the movie there, 1970! His red Porsche #23 now is an icon, a holy grail here in Stuttgart  ;D.
However, for Hans the 69 race was even more meaningful (as a competing driver...), because it was sooo close: after 24 hrs Ickx GT 40
won by 100 meters!  (a year later Hans / Attwood won predominantly).
That year I also made my book on Steve McQueen, so I tried to get something out of Hans, but he wouldn't
tell me why he didn't participate in the film (almost everybody from the 1970 race stayed and worked on the movie,
loaning their cars, driving too... well paid...). Anyway, a great man who used to know my own father (1935 -1971)
who had raced himself a little bit and died in a car wreck, as so many did in those years of racing dangerousely: Herrmann
had promised his wife that he would quit if would win in 1970. And he did! Still kicking now at 91 and still driving
his monster racers from the 50's & 60's at the local Solitude revival festival, right here where I live...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVgAlPtfNk

« : December 27, 2019, 04:48:45 AM mike siegel »

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #6 : December 27, 2019, 03:37:44 AM »

cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #7 : December 28, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »

I sure like car racing movies. Probably about as much as I hate boxing films.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #8 : January 08, 2020, 03:06:11 PM »

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/tcfhe-press-release-ford-v-ferrari-4k-uhd-blu-ray.365128/

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #9 : January 09, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »

Steelbook! https://www.reddit.com/r/Steelbooks/comments/dwbp59/le_mans_66_ford_v_ferrari_4k2d_bluray_steelbook/

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines