Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2021, 02:19:50 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Ten Favorite Acting Performances
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Ten Favorite Acting Performances  ( 17181 )
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

« #30 : October 08, 2006, 12:34:49 PM »

silly silly Aguirre, Bronson was in WEST not AMERICA.
Your typo has now damned you to the Leone boards own personal mexican firing squad.

Right this way please...
'

Shit...I can't believe I did that.
Oh well, a fair punishment for my insulence.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #31 : October 08, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »

'

******...I can't believe I did that.
Oh well, a fair punishment for my insulence.

you have been executed hours ago. Go back to the land of the dead Jesus.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #32 : October 08, 2006, 12:44:41 PM »

you have been executed hours ago. Go back to the land of the dead Jesus.

Jesus is alive, so Aguirre can live as well. ;D

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #33 : October 09, 2006, 04:46:34 PM »

Amen.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

« #34 : October 10, 2006, 12:08:34 AM »

May the protection of God be with you.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

« #35 : February 26, 2013, 05:27:55 PM »

1. Eli Wallach - Tuco, TGTBTU
2. Sylvestor Stallone - Rocky Balboa, Rocky I-VI
3. Heath Ledger - Joker, TDK
4. Kathy Bates - Annie Wilkes, Misery
5. Robert De Niro - Leonard Lowe, Awakenings
6. Michael Clarke Duncan - John Coffey, The Green Mile
7. Lee Van Cleef - tie between Angel Eyes and Colonel Mortimer, FDM and TGTBTU
8. John Hurt - John Merrick, The Elephant Man
9. Al Pacino - Colonel Frank Slade, Scent Of A Woman
10. Robert De Niro - Noodles, OUATIA

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #36 : February 26, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »

How is it that of all the lists y'all posted here, only one person mentioned Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire? You could make a good case for that being the greatest acting performance ever. Shame on y'all, except David Aaronson.

btw, I think only one or two people listed a single actress on their lists. anyway.....

I think almost all the performances in Leone's movies were awesome, I'm not gonna list any individually.
Also, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II had so many incredible characters, it would take up more than this list alone; I mentioned the names of the awesome characters in this post in The Godfather Thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=11185.msg154947#msg154947

In non-Leone and non-Godfather movies, a few great performances off the top of my head are:

Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire

Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca

Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca

Doris Day in The Man Who Knew Too Much

James Stewart's 4 greatest performances I've seen are in Call Northside 777, Rear Window, The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Vertigo

George C. Scott in Patton

Sean Penn in Carlito's Way

Sean Penn in Mystic River

Meryl Streep in The Bridges of Madison County

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones I mentioned above are all lead actor/actress roles. Some of the great supporting performances are:
Walter Brennan in The Westerner
Walter Brennan in Rio Bravo
Rod Steiger in Doctor Zhivago
Claude Rains in Casablanca
(The more I watch this movie, the more I become disgusted at how Captain Renault is a lovable and funny character because of Rains' incredible performance; Renault is actually one of the most detestable characters in movie history. Other than a Nazi character, I don't think there is a single movie character about whom you can say, "this character is definitely more evil than Captain Renault." I don't know if the character was written that way or it's just Rains' great acting or both, but it's really disgusting how a character who would sell out his own mother to the Nazis for a buck, is such a lovable character

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a famous scene in On the Waterfront where Rod Steiger is in a taxi with Marlon Brando; the scene is famous because of Brando's famous speech, "i coulda been a champ...." For me, that scene is memorable for a different reason: IMO, Steiger's performance in that scene is one of the greatest performances in a scene in movie history.

« : April 13, 2013, 06:12:38 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

« #37 : February 26, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »

What did you think of Eli Wallach as Altobello in GF 3?

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Senza
Bounty Killer

« #38 : February 26, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »

...that deceitful old fuck

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #39 : February 26, 2013, 08:29:37 PM »

Wallach's performance was one of the very few bright spots in that otherwise forgettable movie. It's a darn shame that such a great character was wasted on that movie

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

« #40 : February 26, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »

I agree, I think like most people Sofia killed the movie for me.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #41 : February 26, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »

this movie had a lot more problems than Sofia. I know she got a lot of shit for that performance but I don't remember feeling it was all that awful. I mean, the first 2 Godfathers had amazing performances up and down the line probably like 20 great performances between the two films, so I guess it's magnified when an important role doesn't match up, but I didn't think it was much worse than the many mediocre performances you see in movies all the time.

Even if the role of Michael's daughter had been played by (fill in the Oscar winner here), it wouldn't have rescued the film. The story just wasn't interesting. Godfather fans had come to love -- and, let's face it, root for -- the Corleone family, they just didn't have an interest in seeing it fall apart. The family -- both Michael's personal family and the Corleone crime Family -- is a shell of its former self, everyone is in repentance and reflective mode, we're just not interested in seeing that. The whole story with the Catholic Church simply wasn't interesting; the whole part about Michael seeking repentance for killing Fredo just wasn't interesting; The Godfather's technique of having scenes match up with scenes from earlier films got tiring for me. Eg. GF opens with the wedding celebration, GF 2 opens with the communion celebration, and by the time GF 3 opened with the celebration of the donation to the Church, and also had the Festa  in Little Italy just as the one in GF 2, by that time I felt, "I'm sick of the movie doing the 'parallel scenes' over and over, can't we just get some new good scenes instead of bad rehash scenes?" I like Andy Garcia as an actor but there's no way that in this role, he could have compared to the parallel roles of the young godfather we have come to know and expect, we expect the godfather to be more of a "dignified" role, not the wild kid that Garcia is playing. of course, that's the point, that the generations have degenerated and the garcia character does not have the 'dignity' of the characters played by de niro and pacino earlier, but what can I say, it's just not as interesting. The first cousins falling in love with each other? Blaaahhhhhhhh! uch. Who the fuck wants to watch that. That sort of thing is not forbidden by the Bible and is common in traditional communities especially where the cousins never really knew each other as children (which is the case in this movie) but somehow I'm just not interested in watching them cousins kissing each other.

I must have used some variation of "not interesting" five times in the preceding paragraph. And that sums up GF3: it's just not interesting.

Now, for whatever it's worth, I'll mention here what most big Godfather fans know,  that Coppola believed that the Godfather story was complete with the first 2 movies, and really wanted to name this one "The Death of Michael Corleone" but of course Paramount insisted The Godfather title be used. Did that title create expectations in audiences' minds that this movie would be similar to the first two, whereas Coppola's preferred title would have immediately signaled us that this is a different movie and not one of a trilogy, and maybe we'd have liked it better? Would we have come into the movie expecting to see a repentant godfather rather than an ass-kicking godfather? who knows.
By the time I got around to seeing GF 3, it was just a couple of years ago; I'd already heard all kinds of shit about it but finally decided that eventually I have to see it, but I had zero expectations. At least I can be happy about that; I had nothing to be disappointed over. But for fans who went to see the movie in theaters as soon as it was released, and after waiting over a decade-and-a-half, had to see this crap, it must have been an awful disappointment.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #42 : February 26, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »

it's tough considering acting styles changing so much over the years. but off the top of my head:

phoenix in the master
hoffman in the master
elliot gould in his 3 Altman films (long goodbye, california split, MASH)
day-lewis in TWBB/GoNY
jimmy stewart in mr. smith goes to washington
eastwood in GBU
rourke in the wrestler
burt lancaster in ...something. idk. sweet smell of success? local hero?
brando in on the waterfront
de niro in king of comedy? or raging bull...

all american. I have trouble judging performances in foreign films (especially japanese)

I guess i didn't include girls either. louis fletcher in Cuckoo's nest.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #43 : February 27, 2013, 03:40:18 AM »

I'll add Day-Lewis in Lincoln

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #44 : February 27, 2013, 07:16:25 AM »

it's really hard to make these lists because it brings up the whole question of "what do you consider a great acting performance?" (I know we've discussed this previously somewhere, pretty recently, not sure where).

Does it have to A) actually be a great ACTING job where the actor transforms himself believably into some character, or is the criteria B) a role that you most enjoy watching, even if that includes an actor who frequently just plays "himself," like John Wayne or Steve McQueen. (No I DO NOT mean to imply that they didn't have acting ability, I think they were both amazing actors; I am just using them as an example to make my point about actors who frequently played "themselves," and that's not a criticism at all, they are just so cool and awesome to watch that we want them to play themselves.
Eg. Typically, whether it's deserved or not, you won't see Oscar nominations for stars of action movies, even if the movies are very popular and the character is among the most beloved characters in movie history. Those movies will get nominated or awarded for eg. best Film editing or Best Sound, but not for acting performances, even though eg. I enjoy watching Bruce Willis in the Die Hard trilogy (it'll always be a trilogy for me, the last two are irrelevant) as much as I do some Method actor who magically transforms into someone else

I could give more specific examples but I won't do that cuz I don't want anyone to respond by quibbling with examples, I think you get the point, what I want to know is what criteria you use when listing "great acting performances"? (This is another reason why I hate making lists!) Are you looking for the A) eg. Marlon Brando type-Method performances where you could swear Brando IS that character; or is it just as good when B) you love watching that character, even if it's just cuz the actor is someone you simply love watching, even when it seems to be no effort or transformation on his part?????????

: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines