Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2022, 02:37:46 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Accused of Murder (1956)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Accused of Murder (1956)  ( 172 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : July 13, 2022, 02:38:20 PM »

None of the women in this look remotely like the poster, lol.

titoli

Accused of Murder (1956)  What struck me in this run of the mill cop movie is the looks of the 2 female leads: ugly and old. Vera Ralston was about 33 at the time but she looks well in her '40s. But even in her youth I  doubt would have troubled anybody's dream. Virginia Grey was 39 but she could have subbed for Bette Davis  in Baby Jane. LVC has got a more relevant part than usual and it's the only reason to watch this one. 5-6/10

cigar joe

Agree

Visually, it all looked too artificial, and antiseptic. The streets are too clean and too empty, the dime a dance ballroom too big, the police office too big and too clean.  Also the widescreen enhances all of the above. Noirs should be more claustrophobic, in my opinion.  Accused of Murder had a few shots that looked good, but not many, you didn't see any Dutch angles and not much visual style.

I think once you see Noirs like The Naked City, Side Street, The Sniper, Kiss Me Deadly, The Line-Up and others heavy with on location work the studio set back lot Noirs look anemic in comparison.  Catch The Money Trap (1965) where mixing back lot with on location just doesn't look right.

Yea the leading ladies were definitely not eye candy, lol.

« : July 13, 2022, 02:42:20 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #1 : July 13, 2022, 03:36:05 PM »

I think I have the novel and after having watched this I do not feel like reading it. Anyway, I don't think this was meant to be a noir. I presume they wanted to make something spectacular and, not having the money and the stars they sold the colour and the panoramic screen. The Dutch angles missing and the cleanliness are all in line with the general idea of making something above the cheap without the means. The photography and the general direction reminded me of some of the Hitchcock movies of the time, without the stars and the genius, of ccourse. 

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines