Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 29, 2024, 07:26:59 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)  ( 1400 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : May 26, 2023, 01:29:09 PM »

Something to look forward to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-o-sjcYl50

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #1 : October 27, 2023, 04:59:40 AM »

I saw this last night at Nighthawk Prospect Park, a theater with mini tables and waiters where you can order food and drinks throughout the movie.

This movie is absolutely excruciating.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #2 : October 27, 2023, 06:53:08 AM »

It is also awesome.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #3 : October 27, 2023, 10:26:12 AM »

you can order food and drinks throughout the movie.

How was the food?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #4 : October 27, 2023, 02:01:55 PM »

How was the food?

The popcorn was stale

The Reese?s Pieces and Coke were fine

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #5 : October 27, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »

I saw this last night at Nighthawk Prospect Park, a theater with mini tables and waiters where you can order food and drinks throughout the movie.

This movie is absolutely excruciating.
Even with three hours-worth of drinks on board?

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : October 28, 2023, 10:46:46 AM »

The popcorn was stale

The Reese?s Pieces and Coke were fine

You call that food?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #7 : October 31, 2023, 05:56:08 AM »

We saw this yesterday afternoon.  3hr 27 min, no intermission.  However, was pretty good, will likely win some awards.  I might rate 7/10.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #8 : October 31, 2023, 03:29:23 PM »

This movie belongs in the noir section, why is it here, CJ? Anyway, as usual  doing a 80' movie seems not to be the rule nowadays. Not even 2h15'. No, it must be more than 3h. Why? Because Scorsese didn't know what to concentrate on: the Di Caprio character relation with his wife with a touch of Suspicion or the Godfellas series of murders with DeNiro being the criminal mastermind. Some of the scenes are simply redundant and have no relevance whatever: in Goodfellas the final scenes (interrogatory, confrontation with Blackie and with DeNiro) would have been disposed of in a few seconds with a voiceover. But the useless  material is overabundant  throughout the movie and what could have been a 8/10 movie gets a 7/10: is it because Scorsese had too much respect for the literary source? DeNiro doesn't persuade me as a slimy character and DiCaprio, well, I never thought he was an actor.

« : November 03, 2023, 01:59:26 AM titoli »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #9 : October 31, 2023, 05:56:25 PM »

This movie belongs in the noir section, why is it here, CJ? Anyway, as usual  doing a 80' movie seems not to be the rule nowadays. Not even 2h15'. No, it must be more than 3h. Why? Because Scorsese didn't know what to concentrate on: the Di Caprio character relation with his wife with a touch of Suspect or the Godfellas series of murders with DeNiro being the criminal mastermind. Some of the scenes are simply redundant and have no relevance whatever: in Goodfellas the final scenes (interrogatory, confrontation with Blackie and with DeNiro) would have been disposed of in a few seconds with a voiceover. But the useless  material is overabundant  throughout the movie and what could have been a 8/10 movie gets a 7/10: is it because Scorsese had too much respect for the literary source? DeNiro doesn't persuade me as a slimy character and DiCaprio, well, I never thought he was an actor.

Thanks I'll catch it when it pops up free someplace. Maybe I'll read the book first too.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #10 : November 01, 2023, 06:21:50 AM »

It?s always weird when people criticize a movie for its qualities. Also the movie lies somewhere between the noir and the western: it?s both and yet none. Which is also one of its qualities.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #11 : November 07, 2023, 02:29:38 AM »

https://www.artofvfx.com/killers-of-the-flower-moon-pablo-helman-production-vfx-supervisor-ilm/

"we did over 85 minutes of the movie of visual effects"
That's a lot more than I thought. Starting to understand where the 200 millions went.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #12 : November 07, 2023, 07:36:36 PM »

It?s always weird when people criticize a movie for its qualities. Also the movie lies somewhere between the noir and the western: it?s both and yet none. Which is also one of its qualities.

Agree, but I think a documentary would have been more interesting to explain it all. De Niro was doing a toned down Max Caddy. I liked the Osasge Native sequences, reminded me of the Pow-wows I used to go to on the Flathead Indian Reservation. I'd say a 7/10 I'll never watch it again though.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #13 : November 08, 2023, 01:00:01 AM »

Agree, but I think a documentary would have been more interesting to explain it all. De Niro was doing a toned down Max Caddy. I liked the Osasge Native sequences, reminded me of the Pow-wows I used to go to on the Flathead Indian Reservation. I'd say a 7/10 I'll never watch it again though.

A documentary would be quite fascinating since that's a crazy part of the american "colonization". But if we're talking about the necessity of a fiction film I think this one depicts what a documentary couldn't:
- Tons of never seen before scenes of indians being the dominants (in the first hour): have white drivers, calmly discussing in their language which results in humiliating their date... We could have a few archive images but not the scenes we got here.
- The main thing the movie does: potraying the systemic side of the whole affair as a quiet horror flick. With no way to escape for the indians (the film features some dreadful shots of them being surrounded by everyday men and women who are actually all part of it) while the violence happens almost from nowhere. The banality of evil is a used trope but this movie revitalizes it by staying true to the original concept and how it actually unfolds.

DeNiro was a great bad guy: a respectable mafia boss, we had not seen him do that before. Also I really like the fact the all DiCaprio/DeNiro scenes are treated as comedy. The movie without that regular typical Marty comic relief would have been a tougher watch.

Contrarily to the irishman i'm not gonna watch it every year until I die alone in a nursing home but I beleive i'll watch it at least 10 times. One of Marty's great movies, just not in the top 5.

« : November 08, 2023, 01:17:49 AM noodles_leone »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #14 : November 08, 2023, 01:35:42 AM »

It was ok, not much more, and twice as long as necessary.
It has an ambitious story in the sense that it has something "important" to say, and, yes, Scorsese has still ambitions as director, only that in the long gone past these ambitions led to fascinating directed scenes, now the ambition is visible, but I can only see it, I can't feel it.

The leading characters never became really interesting, another reason why the film was watchable, but never grabbing in any way.
De Niro again only repeats himself in a boring manner, as he mostly does since the 90s, but the really worse thing was that Di Caprio adapted in the 2nd half De Niro's worst mimic expressions, and that was really hard to stomach. Gladstone was good in the first half, but later got lost when the film somehow lost interest in her character. Plemons was also good, but I had expected more from his role, he remained a bit phlegmatic in a negative way.

So it was a watchable but never exiting film, which pretty much sums up what Scorsese is able to achieve since 25 years. (but I have still to watch Silence and Hugo, which I both have at hand for a long time)

6/10

« : November 08, 2023, 01:45:11 AM stanton »

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines