Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2024, 07:56:38 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Thoughts if Lee Van Cleef was "Frank"
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Thoughts if Lee Van Cleef was "Frank"  ( 288 )
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« : November 01, 2023, 05:36:49 AM »

What are the thoughts about if Lee Van Cleef had played Frank?  Aside from the surprise of Frank being Henry Fonda, I think Van Cleef would've done fine.

I think Clint Eastwood wasn't small enough or grimy enough for Harmonica.

Of course, I think Rod Steiger in Duck You Sucker was worst casting ever, know the studio insisted on that over Eli Wallach for Juan.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #1 : November 01, 2023, 06:25:56 AM »

Van Cleef would have been good in it but he would have been too much of a bad guy. Too obviously a bad guy. Fonda brings his career and his blue eyes along. Fonda is effortlessly human while Van Cleef has to work hard in FAFDM too show humanity. So Fonda makes a much more interesting and complex antagonist without much help from the screenplay.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : November 02, 2023, 04:28:39 AM »

Of course Van Cleef would have worked but not as good, and Eli Wallach would have been better as Juan.
Maybe Clint as Frank would have been somewhat of a similar shocker.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #3 : November 02, 2023, 06:39:52 AM »

Of course Van Cleef would have worked but not as good, and Eli Wallach would have been better as Juan.
Maybe Clint as Frank would have been somewhat of a similar shocker.

Clint from the 80's would have been a terrific Frank. I guess if they were remaking it today they'd cast Tom Hanks, but Brad Pitt would be the best option.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : November 02, 2023, 07:47:49 AM »

Clint from the 80's would have been a terrific Frank. I guess if they were remaking it today they'd cast Tom Hanks, but Brad Pitt would be the best option.

Agree.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines