Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:16:51 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Werner Herzog Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3]
: The Werner Herzog Thread  ( 15981 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #30 : October 21, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »

Probably for Herzog cultists only: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34A4pb5NGe8

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #31 : November 08, 2020, 06:43:58 AM »

Actually, it looks really fascinating to me. Might try to track it down.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #32 : November 08, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »

Well, it's supposed to be available Nov. 17th on Blu (here in the States, anyway).

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #33 : February 17, 2021, 04:38:20 AM »

I have a question for you, Werner Herzog fanboys.

What language do you watch Aguirre in? I think I've only seen the German version. From what I get, the film was shot in English, then premiered in Germany (both on TV and in theaters), in a fully dubbed German version. Famously, that version doesn't use Klaus' voice, because "he was too expensive", but I guess Werner was quite happy to finish this without Klaus anyway. So my question is: does the english version (the one that was recorded on set, not a post synchronized one) exist?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #34 : February 18, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »

I can't answer your question, but I'd be very surprised if Herzog bothered with recording direct sound. I would have thought he'd planned to post-sync everything from the beginning. Anyway, Herzog's features always sound silly in English. I always prefer to watch them in German.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #35 : February 21, 2021, 04:38:24 PM »

Anyway, Herzog's features always sound silly in English. I always prefer to watch them in German.
Of course, for Aquirre, there's also the French version: https://ok.ru/video/2522228265447

Hey, they put credits over the churning water scene. Blasphemy!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #36 : April 27, 2023, 07:21:44 PM »

Worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wn-OJSgVQs

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #37 : April 28, 2023, 11:50:31 AM »

Of course, for Aquirre, there's also the French version: https://ok.ru/video/2522228265447

Hey, they put credits over the churning water scene. Blasphemy!
I was watching Encounters at the End of the World (2007) this morning, and the Image blu-ray includes an interview between WH and Jonathan Demme, made around the time of the film's release. Before getting to the meat of the talk, puffing the new release, Demme couldn't help asking a question about Agurrie.

JD: So, here is this amazing films, and it begins, and there's a trek through the jungle, and then the party arrives at the river. And then we see a sustained, fairly wide shot of the water. And maybe the music of Popul Vuh is on the soundtrack creating this amazing marriage, which is so emblematic of all your work, of sound and image, music and image. And the shot keeps lasting, and it's wonderful. And then, extraordinarily, I think the film cuts to a tighter shot of the water . . .

WH: . . . Yes, it does . . .

JD: . . . which then plays, and plays, and plays. Why did you do that? What led you to that moment?

WH: It's very hard to verbalize this. But I was very fascinated by these raging waters of Urubamba River. It's just right down below Machu Picchu. And I filmed it, and I asked the cinematopgrapher, "Hold that shot. Hold that shot." This is so violent. This is so incredible. And I knew I would use it in the film, which I did, out of any proportion, where you have the information of the river raging down there and boiling in rage. And yet, although we understand the image in two seconds, the shot is held more than a minute. For a while I thought I would have opening credits over it. And then I decided, no, they must not be over this.

Emphasis added.

Anyway, leave it to a philistine Phrenchy to completely undermine the creator's original intent. It was probably noodles' dad.

UPDATE: I just checked my Bfi copy of Aguirre, which has both the English and German dubs. The English version ALSO has credits over the water-churning scene (Noodles Sr. is exonerated). Needless to say, the German version has the scene without any titles.

« : April 29, 2023, 02:11:03 AM dave jenkins »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #38 : May 01, 2023, 06:45:32 AM »

Thomas Mauch was the principal photographer on Aguirre, but he was not responsible (I've just learned) for the great shot at the beginning of the film showing the line of soldiers descending the mountain trail. That was achieved by Francisco "Paco" Joan, according to Herzog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd-CTKg9Sq0

Herzog studies are proceeding apace. We'll have it all down in 500 years.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #39 : May 05, 2023, 04:33:08 AM »

Just came across my copy of Every Night the Trees Disappear: Werner Herzog and the Making of Heart of Glass, a kind of production journal written by Alan Greenberg who was present when the film was being shot. According to the publishing info, the book "is adapted from publicity material published as Heart of Glass for the Paris International Film Festival [1976], of which approximately two thousand copies were distributed, or simply disappeared." This new edition was published in 2012, and Herzog contributed a new Afterword and his pre-film scenario. Interestingly, the scenario is not given a separate spot of its own--fragments are interspersed among Greenberg's text. The book also includes some nice color production photos that Greenberg took.

I discovered this book in 2015; amazon tells me I purchased it in March of that year. Oddly, although I surely sampled much of it at the time, I remember almost nothing about this book, as if I'd never read it. I am enjoying it now, perhaps for the first time.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #40 : February 24, 2024, 01:45:36 PM »

The prophet Herzog, speaking ex cathedra: https://variety.com/2024/film/news/werner-herzog-barbie-hell-1235920960/

: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines