Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 13, 2024, 03:14:56 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  White Sands (1992)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: White Sands (1992)  ( 866 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« : May 01, 2024, 11:27:53 AM »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105813/

90s crime thriller set in the U.S. SW.

When the individual parts hold more value than the whole sum. I saw bits of it from time to time on TV and it always looked great and it always intrigued me. I was wrong - it isn't great, which isn't to say it's not entertaining. It's a guilty pleasure for me.

Roger Donaldson directs: a consummate professional. He takes the best from the sets and locations, and you can see he enjoys what he's doing. The last 1/3 is when the plot collapses, and so not even he can drain much from the eponymous location. Can't say there is any movie of his I like very much, but than again I can't say there is one I absolutely hate either. He did some solid stuff in his career.

There's too much of those ''talking yourself out of a situation'' moments. Everybody's a big fish, everybody knows something, everybody has a scheme of his/her own, everybody's willing to play along way above his/hers limitations... yet they don't know each other and in the end everything is solved with a few gimmicks down from the sleeve, without a trace.

Respectable cast: though Dafoe wasn't tailor made for the role, he's way better than Rourke who can not decide whether he's charming or ruthless, or both, or neither. Also: Samuel L. Jackson, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, M. Emmet Walsh, James Rebhorn, Miguel Sandoval... - All good.

A pitiful 6.5/10

« : May 01, 2024, 11:29:13 AM Dust Devil »
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #1 : May 01, 2024, 11:32:29 AM »

T.H.'s take from about a year ago:

White Sands (1992) - Another 90's desert neo-noir that is more entertaining than it has any right to be. It was shot in scope with a great use of low angle shots, but the plot really sputters out in act III -- though the pacing doesn't suffer once things start to get a little silly. I really like Willem Dafoe, but he was miscast as a rural copper, though his performance is good -- he just looks too easily swayed by evil/has the face of a villain. This also might be the last solid movie with Mickey Rourke before boxing and plastic surgery destroyed his face. Sam Jackson, Emmet Walsh and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio round out the great cast. If Red Rock West looked like this movie, it would be a masterpiece. This has the look, but not quite the substance of a classic. A generous B-.

We more or less agree.

I forgot to mention: I also thought about RRW while watching this.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #2 : May 01, 2024, 09:32:34 PM »

I should say that I love Red Rock West, but I just don't think the visuals are as good as the script and atmosphere. Also, Lara Flynn Boyle is badly miscast as a femme fatale.

As for this movie, it is possibly quasi-forgettable, but I find it worthy because it's a well-shot desert noir with a great cast. But yeah, a B- was too generous even for a very forgiving grader like me.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : May 02, 2024, 06:24:58 PM »

My thoughts here: https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2017/01/white-sands-1992-andy-of-mayberry-meets.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #4 : May 03, 2024, 01:49:41 AM »

I should say that I love Red Rock West, but I just don't think the visuals are as good as the script and atmosphere. Also, Lara Flynn Boyle is badly miscast as a femme fatale.

As for this movie, it is possibly quasi-forgettable, but I find it worthy because it's a well-shot desert noir with a great cast. But yeah, a B- was too generous even for a very forgiving grader like me.

I also like RRW a great deal, and I agree the two combined would have made a masterpiece. Lara Flynn Boyle was never my cup of tea; and in RRW she was also very young, making it kinda hard to believe she would be J. T. Walsh's wife, and even more so - that they menaged to pull a heist and retire without anyone finding out.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #5 : May 03, 2024, 03:09:49 AM »

I also like RRW a great deal, and I agree the two combined would have made a masterpiece. Lara Flynn Boyle was never my cup of tea; and in RRW she was also very young, making it kinda hard to believe she would be J. T. Walsh's wife, and even more so - that they menaged to pull a heist and retire without anyone finding out.

My thoughts here: https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2016/06/red-rock-west-1993-lone-star-loser.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #6 : May 03, 2024, 08:54:11 AM »

The younger wife can work and be believable, think Jennifer Lopez in U-Turn (a sort of bizarro take on Red Rock West), but Lara Flynn Boyle is more of a TV or comedy actress, and she couldn't pull this off whatsoever. It's a shame that Linda Fiorentino wasn't also cast in Red Rock West. You can probably throw a dart at 90's actresses in the age range to play that role and would find someone much better.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #7 : May 04, 2024, 02:40:01 AM »

My thoughts here: https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2017/01/white-sands-1992-andy-of-mayberry-meets.html

We seem to be in perfect agreement. (I swear Ididn't read your review before just now.) 8)

My thoughts here: https://noirsville.blogspot.com/2016/06/red-rock-west-1993-lone-star-loser.html

I like the style of your reviews. I'll try to read more of them. :)

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Just an old friend.

« #8 : May 04, 2024, 02:45:57 AM »

The younger wife can work and be believable, think Jennifer Lopez in U-Turn (a sort of bizarro take on Red Rock West), but Lara Flynn Boyle is more of a TV or comedy actress, and she couldn't pull this off whatsoever. It's a shame that Linda Fiorentino wasn't also cast in Red Rock West. You can probably throw a dart at 90's actresses in the age range to play that role and would find someone much better.

True. Strangely enough in my short review of RRW I wrote she was good. I'm thinking now what was I thinking then - maybe it's time for a re-visit?

Ah yeah, Linda Fiorentino, an old everybody's favorite dark-haired femme fatale The strangest mystery is how her career lasted only 10 (maybe 15) years altogether.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines