Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2022, 07:00:13 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Original languages
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Original languages  ( 5618 )
Ottovar
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« : August 26, 2004, 07:42:11 AM »

One thing I've wondered for a time now: what languages were the movies made in originally? If Italian, then did Eastwood speak Italian in the originals? If English, did the Italian actors speak English? Or did the American actors speak English, and the Italian Italian?
And what about OuaTiA, was that orignially Italian also?

Thanks!

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #1 : August 26, 2004, 10:38:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure everything from fistful of dollars on was originally in english, and it was all post synchronized anyway so the italian speaking actors just had an english speaking person do the dubbing. but yeah the video matches up with the english version not the italian one

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #2 : August 26, 2004, 01:18:41 PM »

Both Italian and American actors spoke their own languages on the set. On the GBU dvd Clint Eastwood talks about scenes where he had to speak to Italian actors doing their parts in Italian, and simply wait for them to stop speaking to know when to say his line. Also, the scriptwriters (Sergio Donati for the Italian and Mickey Knox for the English on GBU and OUTW I think) worded their translations so the lines would fit in with the lip movements of characters speaking the other language.

Sergio himself of course didn't have much time for scripts - the whole movie was in his head!

It's class.
Ottovar
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #3 : August 26, 2004, 03:14:33 PM »

So did they first dub the Americans for the Italian release, and then the Italian actors for the American release? Do the original, mixed language recordings still excist?

And this all only applies to the first 5 movies, OuaTiA was all English, right?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #4 : August 27, 2004, 08:03:32 PM »

as far as i know they didn't even record the on set dialogue because every sound was post synchronized(dubbed)... all the sound effects and all the dialogue, with exception to some scenes in Duck you sucker and i'm not sure about america... but i'm pretty sure the first 4 films were all 100% post synchronized

Ottovar
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

« #5 : August 28, 2004, 12:16:40 PM »

Where they post-synchronised by the actors themselves, and into which language first?

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #6 : August 29, 2004, 01:27:04 AM »

not sure which was first... i figure the actors who spoke english did there own dubbing in english and the same with italian and those who didn't had them dubbed by someone else

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

« #7 : May 15, 2005, 11:39:13 AM »

An interesting point is to know if Jill's voice is Claudia Cardinale's one for real. But I think this point has already been discussed on the forum.

Each one for himself, and God against all.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #8 : May 15, 2005, 05:06:22 PM »

Right. It isn't. I think Claudia's real voice would have been better, actually, and I wonder why SL didn't use it. She got to use her own voice in The Professionals, and she sounded great.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines