Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2021, 07:21:30 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Quite simply, the best movie ever made!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Quite simply, the best movie ever made!  ( 13323 )
CloseUpEye
Chicken Thief

"...Squish you like a wormy apple"

« : December 15, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »

Hi folks,
  I am very new to this board, but am VERY VERY happy this place exists on the web. Leone's influence is huge here! Thanks all for being on my side, so to speak. It's the most remarkable movie I ever seen (and I am a film major, I have seen lots!)
  Also, I am not one for westerns as they are so plain and dull. But, nope, not Leone, he broke the rules! They are without a doubt, mindblowing movies, esp. OUATITW!
   Adding perfect music, scenes, talk, etc. and wow, made IMHO, the most perfect movie in OUATITW!

Even though I have seen the movie a few dozen times now, I got realllly lucky a few years back when the university I went to decided to show the whole uncut version of it on the big screen with  VERY loud sound.. it make it even more breathtaking.. "Frank's Theme" guitar was so loud that my friend (who saw it for the first time) still now 2 years later, complains that "It damaged my hearing" (it wasn't a hurting loud, just enough to really keep you on the edge) haha.. but it is the best way to experience the movie, let it completely wash over you.. it was like I never saw it until I saw it on big screen. I will never forgot. The loudness add a big  plus in the quiet scenes (Frank and Jill in bed for example) though.

Anyone else notice the greatness of the sets in this? The people in the backgrounds? It seems like every single shot is like an old photo you would see looking in books from that era. I mean, there is Frank and Harmonica in the front, then you see someone sweeping in the back, then behind them is some ladies then even behind them is a stagecouch. etc etc. Pure beauty. ... and this has nothing to do with characters, plot, music, etc.. all of which are the best.

Anyhoo, thanks peeps, I am so glad to see I am not alone!

All the best to you in this Holiday season!

Sensei
Bandido

« #1 : December 15, 2004, 01:49:52 PM »

Amen to that! :D If I had discovered this movie today I would probably pass out or something. You know, like some people do in their weddings...  ;D

If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
Tuco
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : December 15, 2004, 05:08:02 PM »

Yes the big screen is the best way to see any Leone film,  also you have the audience reactions bouncing off you from all directions, which makes it all more enjoyable.  

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Geoman
Road Apple

« #3 : December 15, 2004, 05:59:04 PM »

well said...you are a very wise man ;)

« : December 15, 2004, 06:00:51 PM Geoman »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #4 : December 15, 2004, 11:20:36 PM »

A good movie, certainly. The best ever made? Why is it, then, that it leaves me unsatisfied on a number of points? To take just one: the dubbing of Claudia. Why wasn't she allowed to loop her own voice? Anyone who has seen _The Professionals_ knows just how sexy that voice is. Since CC is one of cinema's sexiest actresses ever, and she was cast as an utter tramp in OUATITW, it would have made sense for her to loop her naturally sexy voice. Instead, we get that awful dub from that woman who seemed to dub all the women in the SWs. Sergio failed us on that one.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #5 : December 16, 2004, 08:27:37 AM »

Never satisfied^^

but i agree... odd CC dubbing... and STILL the My favorite movie of all time and IMO obviously the best ever made.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #6 : December 16, 2004, 11:54:03 AM »

I wonder if we had Claudia real voice in the French version... It could be, as she speaks French.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #7 : December 16, 2004, 11:55:25 AM »

Sorry to speak for my own country again...But the French dubbing of OUATITW is excellent.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #8 : December 16, 2004, 07:55:02 PM »

Sorry to speak for my own country again...But the French dubbing of OUATITW is excellent.
Could you expand on that comment a little? Excellent how? Give examples, please!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #9 : December 18, 2004, 07:00:47 AM »

Yeah, I agree with Dlanor: the dubbing is, maybe not excellent, but very good. And CC voice.......... :o mama mia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #10 : December 18, 2004, 03:45:06 PM »

Could you expand on that comment a little? Excellent how? Give examples, please!

I particulary like the voices. The deep voices of Harmonica and Frank.There is a rich vocabulary and many expressions. I don't know the English version I can't compare.
But its not only "Keep your loving brother happy" but "Play for your brother, it will make him happy(or it will please him)".
John Baldwin, do you think it is CC real voice? I heard her voice in "Cartouche" and I think it was the same.

« : December 18, 2004, 03:45:56 PM Dlanor »
Picabo
Chicken Thief

« #11 : December 18, 2004, 04:46:16 PM »

CloseUpEye was talking about how lucky he was to see Once Upon A Time In The West on a big screen and it makes me hate him so much! (kidding) ;)

I didn't have the same chance but I saw For A Few Dollars More on a big theater screen about 2 years ago. What a magic night! This is my second favorite Leone movie right after One Upon A Time In The West.

CloseUpEye
Chicken Thief

« #12 : December 19, 2004, 06:57:28 AM »

Yes, I do argee the dubbing of CC is, at times, pretty bad. This doesn't take anything away from my deep enjoyment for the movie. The same can be said over other movies as well. The script makes up for it many times over IMHO. Also, I wasn't bragging :P about seeing it on the big screen.. it was merely a dream come true. It only had one showing, and I closed down the coffee bar early to prepare a bit (*cough*) and went to the theater. It was packed! The only choice left I had was in the front row and well worth the neck pain. Plus, seeing 'Frank' that close was downright scary at times, even when I knew what was coming.

Yes indeed to that rich vocabulary, yet another reason why this is my favorate movie. Like I said before, everything is just so so perfect IMHO. I would like to see a John Wayne (I don't like him) movie that has talk like that. What is that line that Henry "Frank" Fonda says about, "I will squish you like an overripe tomato" (??) or something like that. Gawd, what a great line in a movie with several!

I was just making a note of the movement of people on the screen, as I don't think I have seen a movie with so many layers of actors with each one doing something different. It flashed back to a time better than any movie I have ever seen. The only other movie that blew me away with that I guess would be the other films of Leone, espeically "OUATIA" and "Godfather II" with the DeNiro/little Italy scenes with the gold filter, the sets, the clothes, etc. ... but that's for a different time.   ;)

Have an excellent day,
  -Tempe Tom

« : December 19, 2004, 07:01:36 AM CloseUpEye »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #13 : December 19, 2004, 09:02:38 AM »

"Squish you like a wormy apple".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
CloseUpEye
Chicken Thief

« #14 : December 20, 2004, 06:59:52 AM »

Haha, that's it! I only seen the movie 14 times and forgot that other than I love that line! Thanks Joe, here is a cigar!

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines