Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 13, 2022, 11:56:10 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Shovel throw!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Shovel throw!  ( 9497 )
sadhill
Bandido

"Un-k...Un-K......... There's no name on it."

« : January 17, 2005, 05:40:31 PM »

Just obtained the newest/latest GBU special edition and as stated on the French trailer, there are different shooting angles and I noticed Blondies shovel throw. The original is on the left, the outtake(french) is on the right. When you watch the outtake the shovel sticks in the ground but the handle slams down on Eli Wallach's hand and he grimaces and lets out a yell! Also this version/angle does not show Blondie's shadow creeping up on Tuco. I think the shadow version is much better!...so cool to see this rare footage included in the disc #2

KERMIT

« #1 : January 18, 2005, 02:55:25 AM »

sadhill, in your opinion do you think that eli is acting or is he really injured by flying shovels ? a guy could get killed working for leone.  :o

why would thay take out blondie's shadow ? the scene warrants a morricone aaahhh-eee-aaagghhh-ee-ahhh !  ;D

« : January 18, 2005, 04:42:56 PM KERMIT »
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 18, 2005, 04:37:05 AM »

well maybe it was the first take or one of the others before the one they actually used.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
sadhill
Bandido

« #3 : January 18, 2005, 05:53:15 AM »

In the French trailer Wallach is actually suprised/stunned by the handle slamming down on his hand. The impact is off camera, but you can see his reaction. I don't know about really getting hurt, physically, maybe more like startled and not acting, he just reacted with a yelp and facial grimace. In the release version, I've always noticed how close the blade of the shovel is to almost cutting off Wallach's fingers which looks way too close for comfort?
 Wallach has a commentary about the train scene where he has the handcuffs cut off. Leone wanted the audience to see that it was Wallach, and not a stunt double. Wallach explains that on that vintage train there is a metal side step on the caboose car (and actually one other car also) and if he had lifted his head sometime when the train was passing he might have been de-capitated!!

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #4 : January 18, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »

I remember reading somewhere where Eli also stated that the shovel almost hit him, and watching the film shows that; very realistic, but very dangerous.  Also, it looks like a shot stuntman falling off the roof (in the town gunfight), falls on his head and would've been in very bad shape.

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #5 : January 18, 2005, 11:31:23 AM »

Also, it looks like a shot stuntman falling off the roof (in the town gunfight), falls on his head and would've been in very bad shape.
A friend of mine is convinced that the stuntman who fell off the roof was actually THOMAS MILIAN, future spag star, and that he hurt his back so badly he had to give up stuntwork and drifted in acting (if you can call it that!). Anybody ever come across this story?

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
sadhill
Bandido

« #6 : January 18, 2005, 12:36:01 PM »

The stunt man clearly lands on the flat of his back with his head tucked. I doubt he landed like this from the roof onto a hard ground. Maybe a fall from the roof into an airbag, then a 2nd just out of camera angle from a lower distance? Still could get hurt!

What's even scarier is look at the bridge scene again, notice that flying rock and the impact is hits against the sand bag! Hopefully these are stuntpeople? we never see their faces and I think Eastwoods commentary was that they were with Leone up on the ridge when they blew the bridge the 2nd time. If that rock had  hit  the "blondie/tuco" person, I'm sure serious injury would have occured given the size, and speed of that rock!

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #7 : January 18, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Little of topic. What about that poor guy in OUATITW.  :o
Scene: Ambush of Frank by his own men. The 4th gang member on the top of the Watchmakers. Harmonica from the Hotel balcony gives Frank a clue to his whereabouts by "time sure does fly"
Bang! Cue Stuntguy: drops his winchester pretanding to be shot... Falls of not too high single storey wooden shop front. Thing is he smashes through a tiled wooden awning (which looks like the slant should of took his weight putting him into a roll for a better shorter fall)
Goes through new man-made hole in the awning head first, and land on some floorboards which don't seem to have much give. and all ofcourse on his bonce, with his body following in a curled up spring with added perminent vertibray wrecking action. Theres some nice soft 'safe landing' sand bags about a couple of feet away from where he lands. Makes my eyes water everytime.   :'( Youch

Always wondered if that one was Landis  ;D

« : January 18, 2005, 03:05:29 PM The Smoker »

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #8 : January 18, 2005, 03:00:35 PM »

Yeah, that explosion/sandbag scene looked very realistic to me, very dangerous, I remember that stuff coming towards "Blondie and Tuco", doubted that it was planned to be that close...

KERMIT

« #9 : January 18, 2005, 04:59:21 PM »

A friend of mine is convinced that the stuntman who fell off the roof was actually THOMAS MILIAN, future spag star, and that he hurt his back so badly he had to give up stuntwork and drifted in acting (if you can call it that!). Anybody ever come across this story?
stefanelli gave an interview to nighteagle. the guy in OUATITW really screwed up his spine.

visitor
Bandido

« #10 : January 18, 2005, 05:15:08 PM »

Little of topic. What about that poor guy in OUATITW.  :o
Scene: Ambush of Frank by his own men. The 4th gang member on the top of the Watchmakers. Harmonica from the Hotel balcony gives Frank a clue to his whereabouts by "time sure does fly"
Bang! Cue Stuntguy: drops his winchester pretanding to be shot... Falls of not too high single storey wooden shop front. Thing is he smashes through a tiled wooden awning (which looks like the slant should of took his weight putting him into a roll for a better shorter fall)
Goes through new man-made hole in the awning head first, and land on some floorboards which don't seem to have much give. and all ofcourse on his bonce, with his body following in a curled up spring with added perminent vertibray wrecking action. Theres some nice soft 'safe landing' sand bags about a couple of feet away from where he lands. Makes my eyes water everytime.   :'( Youch

Always wondered if that one was Landis  ;D

word is/was that it was Fabio Testi taking that fall.

If it was him, I don't think he could have messed up his spine too much. he was an item with Ursula Andress in the 70's.

drool...............

KERMIT

« #11 : January 18, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »

word is/was that it was Fabio Testi taking that fall.

If it was him, I don't think he could have messed up his spine too much. he was an item with Ursula Andress in the 70's.

drool...............
you're right viz. on second thought it was another stunman seriously hurt when jumping off a building onto his horse. i'll reread the interview.

Hanley
Bandido

I'm a llama!

« #12 : January 19, 2005, 05:45:43 AM »

Above the sandbags but out of view of the camera was a wooden roof which protected the stuntmen (I presume) from falling debris but, of course, the front was open!

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #13 : January 21, 2005, 05:02:20 PM »

I remember reading somewhere where Eli also stated that the shovel almost hit him, and watching the film shows that; very realistic, but very dangerous.  Also, it looks like a shot stuntman falling off the roof (in the town gunfight), falls on his head and would've been in very bad shape.

Wasn't it the shovel thrown by Angel Eyes that nearly took off Tuco's head and not Blondie shovel?

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Sgt. Angel eyes
Chicken Thief

I wish you luck!

« #14 : January 23, 2005, 08:16:26 AM »

They were both close, but Angel eyes throw was about four inches from Tucos' head. I think I'd rather be hit in the hand by a shovel handle, than hit in the head by a shovel blade. Just me though, lol.,,,,SAE

How's your digestion now??
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines