Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 13, 2022, 11:42:42 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Same hat
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Same hat  ( 9028 )
skygazer
Road Apple

« : January 18, 2005, 10:10:56 AM »

Is it me or does Jason Robards wear the same hat used by Clint Eastwood in the Dollars trilogy? Admittedly the band has gone and the brim bent downwards but the sweat line and holes in the front are the same.

KERMIT

« #1 : January 18, 2005, 08:19:32 PM »

Is it me or does Jason Robards wear the same hat used by Clint Eastwood in the Dollars trilogy? Admittedly the band has gone and the brim bent downwards but the sweat line and holes in the front are the same.
i don't think it's the same hat. :-\   the brim seems to be wider on cheyenne's.  i hope i'm proven wrong as this would be another big breakthrough. 

any whipersnappers who could post them side by side ?

« : January 18, 2005, 08:31:42 PM KERMIT »
skygazer
Road Apple

« #2 : January 19, 2005, 07:46:38 AM »

[quote author=KERMIT 
i don't think it's the same hat. :-\   the brim seems to be wider on cheyenne's.  i hope i'm proven wrong as this would be another big breakthrough. 

any whipersnappers who could post them side by side ?

Let me know how to enable attachments and I'll be happy to oblige

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #3 : January 19, 2005, 03:35:09 PM »

I think i read somewhere that Clint kept his costume after making the trilogy. He used to have the poncho hanging up in the restaurant he owned in Carmel.

skygazer
Road Apple

« #4 : January 19, 2005, 05:52:06 PM »

Maybe so, but he didn't keep the hat!

As I can't upload here please go to link below to see the images, the hat looks identical to me judging by the holes, marks and stains etc. 

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/skygazer_2004 

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : January 20, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »

i've been in this restaurant this summer, and as i had read before, the poncho is gone :( :( :(

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #6 : January 20, 2005, 03:24:35 PM »

Clint's hat has a pattern on the band and a straight brim whereas Robard's is plain and the brim is slightly turned down at the front and back. Also i just can't see any part of his costume being used by another actor. In interviews Clint says that he bought the costume in the U.S. and took it to spain.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #7 : January 20, 2005, 06:24:22 PM »

I was in Clint's Hogs' Breath restaurant/bar in 1986, and there was no Spaghetti stuff in view then.  I did get a Clint for Mayor button though.

skygazer
Road Apple

« #8 : January 21, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »

PLEASE - don't let the shape of the brim mislead you, I know when Eastwood wore it the brim was turned up at the edges and in Robard's case it's flattened and turned down. This is why I've never noticed before. That and the fact that the band has been replaced with a thinner one. It's only the extraordinary clarity of the new dvd that has made it easier to spot.   Take a look at the final scenes in TGTBATU and OUATITW and consider these points :-

1  The stitching round the brim IS the same
2  The v-shaped nicks at the front top are the same
3  The 2 almost horizontal holes below that are the same
4  The mark at the lower front right of the brim is the same
5  To the left of this ( right as you look) is another mark, darker on Robard but still faintly visible on Eastwood
6   The white staining is exacly the same shape, size, and pattern. This is impossible to duplicate on a different hat.  Compare the photos.

The conclusion has to be that it's the same hat.

I'll post more and bigger pics at the link below when I get time. I wish it were possible to post them here.
Meanwhile watch the dvds (preferably on your pc) and freezeframe where appropriate. You'll be amazed.

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/skygazer_2004

« : January 21, 2005, 01:09:07 AM skygazer »
visitor
Bandido

« #9 : January 21, 2005, 03:33:05 AM »

I'd say no chance.
Here Charles Bronson wore a hat identical in appearance to the one he wore in Magnificent 7, complete with nick in the brim. 
Whether Leone asked for it to be styled that way(possible) or Bronson liked that style(possible) doesn't matter. Costume designers can do marvellous things.

visitor
Bandido

« #10 : January 21, 2005, 03:40:23 AM »

oh yeah.........
in every copy of the films I've got, Eastwood's is Greyish, while Robard's is brown.

skygazer
Road Apple

« #11 : January 23, 2005, 01:42:25 AM »

oh yeah.........
in every copy of the films I've got, Eastwood's is Greyish, while Robard's is brown.

What?? You're trying to say his hat in the Dollars series isn't brown??!!

I was hoping for a higher level of critical debate than this.

Is there no-one with a mind sufficiently open to go take a look at the films?

Oh well...

cowboy-cine
Road Apple

And you're the one that doesn't keep 'em...

« #12 : February 25, 2005, 03:02:42 PM »

I can't say either way on the Cheyenne/Man with no Name comparison, but I''ve got a bit of trivia about another hat in OUATITW.

Keenan Wynn did a screen test at MGM in the early 40's and took off with the hat that Leslie Howard wore in Gone With the Wind-- wore it in all his westerns. That's the one  he's wearing  at the auction.

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #13 : March 27, 2005, 05:11:37 PM »

What?? You're trying to say his hat in the Dollars series isn't brown??!!

I was hoping for a higher level of critical debate than this.

Is there no-one with a mind sufficiently open to go take a look at the films?

Oh well...

Could Robards and Bronson have swapped bands on each of their hats as the one on Bronsons looks very much like the one on Clints in the Dollar films ..more evidence for stargazers observation?

Ice

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

« #14 : March 29, 2007, 11:44:23 AM »

Could Robards and Bronson have swapped bands on each of their hats as the one on Bronsons looks very much like the one on Clints in the Dollar films ..more evidence for stargazers observation?

Ice

Yes, I also noticed it looks like it...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines