Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2022, 04:55:40 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Trivia Games (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Mr Eastwood has a 'proof of sale' in his top pocket.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Mr Eastwood has a 'proof of sale' in his top pocket.  ( 11847 )
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« : March 12, 2005, 09:31:59 AM »

Which movie in the opening 5 mins does Clint Eastwood know he bought something from a 'Johansen' charactor fair and square?

P.S. Proberly should mention the merchandise..  it might make it a bit too easy...   ;D

visitor
Bandido

« #1 : March 12, 2005, 10:28:41 AM »

Which movie in the opening 5 mins does Clint Eastwood know he bought something from a 'Johansen' charactor fair and square?

P.S. Proberly should mention the merchandise..  it might make it a bit too easy...   ;D

HANG EM HIGH
Clint's weakest western. It looks lke an episode of GUNSMOKE.
If he'd bypassed Italy and gone straight to this one after RAWHIDE, he'd never have been heard from again.

JoeH
Road Apple

« #2 : March 12, 2005, 01:15:04 PM »

I don't think Hang 'em High is the worst eastwood western. It's got a nice story about the difference between justice and law. Unfortunately the presentation of the movie is very superficially, so the main topic seems to be unimportant sometimes. In my opinion The Outlaw Josey Wales is worse than this film and High Plains Drifter is better than Josey Wales but not than HEH.
And it's a bit strange to suppose, that Clint would have made this movie if he had never made the Dollar Trilogy, that makes no sense...

Sorry, I know this is not the right topic to discuss High 'em High, but I just HAD to answer :P

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : March 12, 2005, 06:39:46 PM »

Well since we brougth it up..... I went through a thread where I posted what I thought were the falts in Eastwoods post Leone westerns, I'll find it and post again then you can go through them and see what you think, I think we have similar opinions.  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : March 12, 2005, 06:51:49 PM »

here it is:

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=148.0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lilly
Road Apple

« #5 : March 12, 2005, 07:47:04 PM »

What about Joe Kidd?  I think that's his weakest western.  And I'd say The Outlaw Josey Wales is up there among his best.   :)

KERMIT

« #6 : March 12, 2005, 08:13:25 PM »

HANG EM HIGH
If he'd bypassed Italy and gone straight to this one after RAWHIDE, he'd never have been heard from again.
i agree.  for what it's worth. 

visitor
Bandido

« #7 : March 13, 2005, 03:53:19 AM »

I don't think Hang 'em High is the worst eastwood western. It's got a nice story about the difference between justice and law. Unfortunately the presentation of the movie is very superficially, so the main topic seems to be unimportant sometimes. In my opinion The Outlaw Josey Wales is worse than this film and High Plains Drifter is better than Josey Wales but not than HEH.
And it's a bit strange to suppose, that Clint would have made this movie if he had never made the Dollar Trilogy, that makes no sense...

Sorry, I know this is not the right topic to discuss High 'em High, but I just HAD to answer :P

A: In most folks opinions, compared to HANG EM HIGH, Eastwood's OUTLAW JOSEY WALES is a classic on par with CITIZEN KANE and TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE. I've never heard from someone who thought different.

B: Eastwood already had a sizable following from RAWHIDE and as such, a low budget H'wood western like HANG EM would have been the natural extension of his career.

JoeH
Road Apple

« #8 : March 13, 2005, 04:55:22 AM »

But I think different. When I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales I was bored many times, but Hang 'em High was quiet good entertainment. And the other topic is not worth discussing, because we can't know what would have happened with Eastwood if he hadn't made the Dollar Trilogy.

@cigar joe: Yeah, really nice text, I agree with you in many points (except the music, which I like), but Josey Wales didn't give me anything. The atmosphere isn't good enough, the characters are strange (except Clint's, that is not bad) and the 'happyend' (all his friends fight together against the evil ones) nerved me, when I saw it.

Sorry folks, but that's my opinion. If a film hasn't an atmosphere that can take me away and bores me sometimes, it just doesn't give me much. I guess we'll have more of this kind of discussions in the future ;D

« : March 13, 2005, 05:34:31 AM JoeH »

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #9 : March 13, 2005, 08:24:11 AM »

hang em high was on itv in the uk the other day i didnt think it was that bad but some of its clearly trying to emulate leone and fails. id say its a good eastwood performance tho.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #10 : March 14, 2005, 01:43:37 PM »

Reason i posted it as trivia in the first place. I always found it a mildly amusing opening.  ;D

Totally agree with you guys. Very creaky movie. Opening titles, half baked stab at Leone.

HANG EM HIGH

Ted Post. A seasoned Rawhide director. Think he did some Dirty Harry movies too.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #11 : March 14, 2005, 05:53:36 PM »

also did Beneath the Planet of the Apes, the first sequel in the franchise, which i thought was quite good, and has a damn good ending, tho obviously not as good as the classic ending to the first.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #12 : March 21, 2005, 02:43:49 PM »

Joe H
You've got a friend here.  I too think that Josey Wales is boring.  It starts off okay but then sends me nodding - I have never managed to watch this film all the way through in one sitting.

Funnily enough I've never wathed Hang Em High all the way through, but this is because I never know it's on telly until half an hour after its started.  Always enjoyed what I have seen even though it's saying a lot about nothing.  Love your banner at the bottom of your message box thing.  ;)

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #13 : March 30, 2005, 01:50:40 AM »

I think joe kidd is by far his worse western... I do have HEH barely edging out The Outlaw Josey Wales though... i like josey's story better, but post's direction is much more exciting and just plain better

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #14 : March 30, 2005, 02:33:22 PM »

Never seen Joe Kidd.  I remember seeing it all the time in the video shop years ago but I never fancied watching it.  It was one of those I always felt I could get when I was stuck for anything else but it just never happened.  Seems I saved  a couple of hours of my life by your opinion grandpa.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines