Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 03:44:40 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)  ( 61572 )
manuel
Road Apple

They had a lot of weapons mister.

« #120 : October 17, 2008, 11:44:28 PM »

This is a great well made film. nce the credits roll, I think to myself that was a masterpiece.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #121 : January 23, 2009, 07:23:03 PM »

I enjoy "Straw Dogs" as well but it's difficult for me to take the climax seriously because I can't help but think of the climax to the family film "Home Alone".

Kevin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hoffman
He got 2 bandits almost alone without weapon!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #122 : January 23, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »

Hmmm, you've got me thinking remake: Home Alone: The Siege at Trencher's Farm. The night they came for Kevin . . . He Was Ready!

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
Robert Muller
Road Apple

In the dusters were men, in the men were bullets

« #123 : September 11, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »

Most or all Sergio Leone fans do have a weak spot for Sam Peckinpah as well. And, as far as I know, only Wild Bunch, Getaway and Strawdogs are available in Blu-ray. By chance I noticed on a Spanish on-line shop (www.DVDGO.com) that ¨the head of Garcia¨ is available there in Blu-ray under the name ¨Quierdo la Cabeza de Alfredo Garcia¨. I ordered it, and I am very happy with the quality.....in any case much-much better then any other release I have ever seen. The DVD has an English language option. That particular website also can be seen in English.
Is there any information on other Blu-ray titles?

Adios Amigos
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #124 : October 10, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »

Just watched this again today will write more later.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #125 : October 11, 2010, 02:05:55 AM »

Actually the only film Sam really considered to be his own project.
Most people think that most of his films were his first choice, yet
they weren't. In the process he made them 'Peckinpah-films',
but GARCIA was the only one he really wanted to make - he even
made it low-budget on produced himself.
Of course it flopped :(

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #126 : October 12, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »

I'm still digesting this film will jot down some impressions in the near future, anyway, BTY, anybody ever notice that when Sappensly (Robert Webber) and  Quill (Gig Young) first produce Alfredo Garcia's picture and show it to Bennie we hear the sound of Alfredo's the car wreck?, this is the first time I've heard it or noticed this preview linkage.

« : October 13, 2010, 06:04:18 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #127 : October 13, 2010, 07:16:20 AM »

More impressions and points to ponder. Also need some translations.

First it would be nice to know what Emilio Fernández, El Jefe is saying/reading as his daughter is brought into the great hall. Is it a family service with him presiding or something else? It would be nice to get a translation and an insight on this.

Did you ever notice during the introduction sequence of  Sappensly and Quill, just before Max arrives, Sappensly snaps his fingers at some hotel staff to get them on their feet. So does this imply that Sappensly and Quill have a legit cover as hoteliers who happen to be also be professional bounty hunters?

Once you know of the homosexual relationship between Sappensly and Quill it gives you a heightened foreboding feeling. It makes them even more dangerous realizing that they are really looking out for each other and not just professionally.

Watch this in repeated viewings with the above in mind and thinking of  Peckinpah's twisted take on Rick's Place in "Casablanca",  Bennie's Tlaquepaque tourist bar sequence. Bennie in control perched back against the wall playing the piano singing the tourists out and watching the impeccably dressed Sappensly and Quill enter and question his cartoonishly costumed staff and watching their reactions to the photo of Alfredo. Bennie in total control "First drinks on the house, gentlemen"  calling them over to see what they want, waiter arrives and Bennie saying to Paulo "take care of those gentlemen" giving the cue signal, prompting his bar crew into what looks like a well rehearsed course of action, the two whores arrive one for arm of each hit man.  The first hint of trouble registering when he asks Sappensly and Quill "something for the ladies" implying they buy the whores a drink and Quill replies "burro piss". Watch Sappensly display discomfort and his look of disgust at Quill, and Quill's disapproving glance at his lap and the at the whore stroking Sappensly's tubesteak, and then once Sappensly knocks her out the side show stops the other patrons about the piano exit and all pretense is gone, all normal scenarios go right out the window.

Bennie is face to face with serious trouble but he continues to try and remain cool babbling small talk until Quill asks him point blank if he "knows a lot of studs around here" with a sheepish grin. Now, just what is Quill implying with that double edged question, and Quill kind of reinforces his innuendo's, during his description of Al "he's quite the ladies man, his name is Alfredo Garcia, maybe you can help us find him, about thirty, sometimes he calls himself Al... Garcia, he speaks English, Spanish, and a little French" , Gill says French with a weird grin while Sappensly sort of chuckles silently are they implying that they know Al Garcia is Bi or that simply he likes to use his tongue, it could go either way? You wouldn't pick up on this details stuff the first go through on the film.

« : October 13, 2010, 08:23:47 AM cigar joe »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #128 : October 13, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »

Actually the only film Sam really considered to be his own project.
Most people think that most of his films were his first choice, yet
they weren't. In the process he made them 'Peckinpah-films',
but GARCIA was the only one he really wanted to make - he even
made it low-budget on produced himself.
Of course it flopped :(

What about Cable Hogue? He considered that his favorite.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #129 : October 13, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

I'm sure CABLE was one his three or four favorites. But like all smart film makers he mentioned
it very often to support it because it wasn't released very well by the studio. Also it's important at
which time such statements were made.
Yet CABLE was not his original idea / script. It was very close to Peckinpah and he saw it
as a dedication to his ancestors who were pioneers in 19th century California.
But GARCIA was ALL his. Sort of 'Sam as independent film maker' if you wish..

You can ask almost every film maker 'Which film would YOU like to make?' (for those who
are not to familiar with the movie making facts - this is not the way it usually works. Not unless
you were Kubrick or you actually have your own studio :)). GARCIA was that film for Sam.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #130 : October 13, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »

Bennie is face to face with serious trouble but he continues to try and remain cool babbling small talk until Quill asks him point blank if he "knows a lot of studs around here" with a sheepish grin. Now, just what is Quill implying with that double edged question, and Quill kind of reinforces his innuendo's, during his description of Al "he's quite the ladies man, his name is Alfredo Garcia, maybe you can help us find him, about thirty, sometimes he calls himself Al... Garcia, he speaks English, Spanish, and a little French" , Gill says French with a weird grin while Sappensly sort of chuckles silently are they implying that they know Al Garcia is Bi or that simply he likes to use his tongue, it could go either way? You wouldn't pick up on this details stuff the first go through on the film.
Don't forget that one of the men--I think it's Gig Young--tells Bennie he's "Fred C. Dobbs," signaling, as we now know, his strong interest in burros. >:D

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #131 : October 13, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »

So Mike being the resident Peckinpah expert do you know what Emilio Fernández's lines are?

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #132 : October 13, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »

I have the 'bad' habbit of watching Sam's films almost only in 35mm. So I saw GARCIA only 3 times I guess.
(Don't know it by heart)

I'll take the opportunity to finally check out my DVD :)
And see how my Spanish suffered over the years..

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #133 : October 13, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

I have the 'bad' habbit of watching Sam's films almost only in 35mm. So I saw GARCIA only 3 times I guess.
(Don't know it by heart)

I'll take the opportunity to finally check out my DVD :)
And see how my Spanish suffered over the years..

No problem, take your time I'm just surprised it has never been brought up before here or on Imdb.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #134 : October 18, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »

I'm sure CABLE was one his three or four favorites. But like all smart film makers he mentioned
it very often to support it because it wasn't released very well by the studio. Also it's important at
which time such statements were made.
Yet CABLE was not his original idea / script. It was very close to Peckinpah and he saw it
as a dedication to his ancestors who were pioneers in 19th century California.
But GARCIA was ALL his. Sort of 'Sam as independent film maker' if you wish..

You can ask almost every film maker 'Which film would YOU like to make?' (for those who
are not to familiar with the movie making facts - this is not the way it usually works. Not unless
you were Kubrick or you actually have your own studio :)). GARCIA was that film for Sam.

Thanks for the information. I was confused because I heard Peckinpah would either screen Hogue when he made appearances and/or tell people to watch it if they were interested in his work - something along those lines.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines