Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2022, 07:01:00 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Big Gundown: Reggae Inspired by Spaghetti Westerns
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Big Gundown: Reggae Inspired by Spaghetti Westerns  ( 6004 )
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« : May 19, 2005, 12:12:27 PM »

Spaghetti Westerns in its life-time never shone back into pop culture, more than in earlier 70s Jamaican Reggae & Dub culture.
In the film The Harder They Come (1971) Jimmy Cliff getting a kick out off watching Django 'Franco Nero' gundown the bad guys. One of Lee Scratch Perry’s most well known tracks goes by the name of Clint Eastwood The Upsetters had a small hit in the UK with a single called Return of Django.

Trojan Records have been frantically digging up stuff out there archives, releasing tons of compilations over the last couple of years. Came across this last night on amazon.   

The Big Gundown: Reggae Inspired by Spaghetti Westerns

1.  Django Shoots First
Sir Lord Comic & The Upsetters 

2.  Dollar A Head
The Crystalites

3.  Dollar In The Teeth
The Upsetters

4.  Return Of Django
The Upsetters 

5.  A Fistful Of Dollars
The Crystalites

6.  Lee Van Cleef
King Stitt

7.  Clint Eastwood
Lee Perry & The Upsetters

8.  The Undertaker
The Crystalites

9.  The Overtaker
Ramon & The Crystalites

10.  Undertaker's Burial
Ramon & The Crystalites

11.  For A Few Dollars More
The Upsetters

12.  Death Rides A Horse
Roy Richards

13.  Death Rides A Horse
Hippy Boys     

14.  Franco Nero
Johnny Lover & The Destroyers   

15.  Kill Them All

16.  Eight For Eight

17.  The Bad
The Crystalites   

18.  Nevada Joe
Johnny Lover & The Destroyers   

19.  Stranger In Town
The Crystalites   

20.  Savage Colt
Eldorados   

21.  The Law
Andy Capp   

22.  A Taste Of Killing
The Upsetters   

23.  Return Of The Ugly
The Upsetters   

24.  Dollars & Bonds
Lloyd Charmers   

25.  Vengeance
Lloyd Charmers & The Hippy Boys   

26.  They Call Me Trinity
Joe White & The Crystalites

Fascinated to found out what the 'Death Rides a Horse' covers sound like. Imagine alot of it might be sound quite hokey but interesting..
Might pick up a copy end of the month.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : May 20, 2005, 03:55:37 AM »

cool.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #2 : May 20, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »

Very cool, although as I understand it most of them aren't inspired by SW themes as such, they are just fairly standard rocksteady tunes with SW inspired names. Return of Django (which I have on 7") for example is an instrumental version of Neville Grant and the Upsetters "Sick and Tired".

On the other hand though, I do somewhere have a Lee Perry track called The Tackro which has a vaguely GBU-esque keyboard line in it

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

« #3 : May 20, 2005, 01:42:58 PM »

Yeah bit over zealous. It was always the SKA acts that did the covers... All those big brass sections.  ;)

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #4 : May 20, 2005, 02:28:26 PM »

This one looks quite interesting too :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W3KY/qid=1116624977/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-5204391-6943867

I seem to remember hearing bits of the reggae lp, and some of it was based on the soundtracks, others just by name.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #5 : May 23, 2005, 02:32:22 PM »

I've mentioned it before on this site somewhere that reggae still has SW influences within the current 'dancehall'/'ragga' era with samples or copied riffs appearing on the odd song.

I did read once in an 'authorative' book on reggae that Lee Perry, the man responsible for turning a nice bouncy beat based on r'n'b and calypso into a drug orientated psychedelic whirlwind of drum, bass, echoes, fades and madness, wouldn't have 'turned this' and 'slid that' if he first hadn't heard Ennios stuff.  The title track from GBU (as it is on screen with gunshot and cannonfire, not the CD) is mindblowing without any artificial mind altering substances so imagine what it did to this skinny five foot nothing ganja smokin' musical genius when he saw it in his local fleapit in Downtown Jamaica.  A lot of that early ska (revived in the UK in the 80's) has the rhythm of a horse at full gallop - and not by accident.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

« #6 : May 23, 2005, 03:59:40 PM »

"Return of Django" is a really good rocksteady instrumental, w/ Ska elements...but musically unrelated to a SW theme...really...although... the opening bit by the horns could very well be a riff on Morricone...as I hear it.
"For a Few Dollars More"...on the other hand...is more Ska-like ..slow Ska..& does have elements of the original theme....including a nice organ riff based on the 'whistle"...it's there..a nice tune.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

« #7 : May 24, 2005, 03:10:28 AM »

Alot of this has proberbly become exaggerated over time. But legend has it the local rude boys use to go in the local flea-pit cinemas in Kingston and would join in with the gun play and shoot at bandits on the canvas cinema screens. Responsable for the steady flow of Spaghetti Westerns being banned in Jamaica in the early 70s.
Just imagine sitting in on that! 
Forget theatre surround sound.. 
The occasional curse... followed by a ear splitting bang and the cloud and smell of burn't carbon.... Nothing more western in atmosphere than that.
Think I'd give front row seats a miss.  ;D

« : May 24, 2005, 08:43:11 AM The Smoker »

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #8 : May 24, 2005, 04:11:55 AM »

This one looks quite interesting too :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004W3KY/qid=1116624977/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-5204391-6943867

I've heard John Zorn's GBU theme. To be honest it's more for fans of John Zorn than of Morricone.

It's class.
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

« #9 : May 24, 2005, 08:52:16 AM »

John Zorn's Naked City is a good mod-jazz/art rock LP. Heard bits of Gundown. Interesting frantic lo-fi version of Battle Of Algiers. Always seemed to be in the bargin bins at HMV for a while.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines