Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2022, 06:53:12 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Ultimate Leone Poll
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Which of these do you prefer?
Once Upon A Time In The West   -20 (50%)
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly   -20 (50%)
: 38

: The Ultimate Leone Poll  ( 18538 )
ucilio
Road Apple

« #15 : April 07, 2005, 05:24:49 PM »

I like GBU a lot but in no way come close to OUATITW complexity and masterful direction. OUATITW is certainly a great Western from all aspects specially sound track.

Unkernown
Road Apple

« #16 : April 08, 2005, 01:49:20 AM »

I agree with Djimbo's point about GBU being more entertaining - but I think this gives GBU the edge.  Sometimes I think OUTITIW can sometimes get a bit TOO arty, whereas GBU is just populist enough to prevent it becoming dull, and just arty enough to make it the best film ever.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #17 : April 08, 2005, 04:20:49 AM »

unkernown i see where ur comin from u have to be more patient with OUATITW.

Half soldier, i do love the who, but can u beat Gimme Shelter???

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #18 : April 08, 2005, 07:56:29 AM »

OUATITW used to my favourite Leone film, but now I prefer GBU and OUATIA, so my vote goes for GBU. Can't really say why, all the three films I've mentioned here are pure perfection as far as I'm concerned. It might have something to do with The Ecstacy of Gold.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

« #19 : April 08, 2005, 08:07:43 AM »

It might have something to do with The Ecstacy of Gold.

Ha ha! I see exactly where you're coming from. The music in that scene is just incredible, and coupled with the amazing camera work, it makes it one of my favourite scenes in any film ever. The Ecstacy of Gold has to be one of Morricone's finest moments.

Unkernown
Road Apple

« #20 : April 08, 2005, 08:30:13 AM »

Djimbo, I dare say I'll grow to appreciate OUTITW more as I watch it more - having seen GBU more probably gives me my bias.  That said, I don't think there's anything especially bad about it now.  It's just that GBUs better!

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #21 : April 08, 2005, 01:38:38 PM »

Half soldier, i do love the who, but can u beat Gimme Shelter???

Djimbo - going a bit off topic here but I don't know Gimme Shelter.  I liked the early blues covers of Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry and Robert Johnson and their own early songwriting is nice enough but I only know the hits.  Maybe I should explore a bit.  The Who took over my life for a while some years ago and i still feel a bit of loyalty.   Apologies to everyone expecting the pros and cons of gbu vs outitw :-*

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #22 : April 09, 2005, 03:53:50 AM »

Somewhat related point - the other day I discovered this imdb fixed ratings page which ranks films using IMDb's raw data but calculated with a straight mean rather than the "weighted average" used by IMDb itself. Have a look how the positions for GBU and OUTW:

http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/imdbfix.shtml

compare with on IMDb's top 250:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

It's class.
ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

« #23 : April 09, 2005, 04:55:22 AM »

Very interesting! I'm not sure what criteria IMDB use, but I thought that they exclude 'fake' votes that appear to have the only purpose of screwing up the real votes. Something like that anyway.
Strangely, the new 'fixed ratings' page appears to show considerably more recent films in the top 100 compared to the original IMDB. I must say though, I agree much more with the original IMDB top 100.
Interesting page however, nicely pointed out!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #24 : April 09, 2005, 05:46:07 AM »

Strangely, the new 'fixed ratings' page appears to show considerably more recent films in the top 100 compared to the original IMDB. I must say though, I agree much more with the original IMDB top 100.
Interesting page however, nicely pointed out!

You kind of touched on what I was thinking that newer films are going to rank higher than oldies since the "Computer Age" demographic is younger. This is evident on the New York Times top 100 films. Recent releases tend to make big impressions. You'd think there would have to be some type of grading curve to level the playing field, ie., more points for a vote for a film the older it is by decade, or some such factor. If a movie was good enough to still be remembered and voted for it should get more weight in a poll, don't you guys think? 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #25 : April 09, 2005, 07:46:36 AM »

And some ratings go by box office dollars, really dumb because inflation isn't taken into consideration.  My mom saw Gone with the Wind in 1939 and it cost 25 cents.  Nowadays that would cost over $10 in most cities.  I'm sure when I first saw GBU in 1968 it was one dollar or less, and had to split proceeds as it was on a double-feature (with "The Party", for those who HAVE to know)..

KERMIT

« #26 : April 09, 2005, 08:17:49 AM »

i can't add to what has already been said. the party had a scene w/ sellers playing an extra who accidentally prematurely blows up a castle before shooting begins by reaching down to tie his bootlace on the plunger.  similar thing happened w/ the GB&U bridge # 1.  i wonder if blake edwards got wind of this and was inspired to create seller's scene.
i've checked up on the release dates of both films and there is a 3 month period after GB&U was released which
would may or may not have given blake palmer time to write what happened to leone & crew in real life into one of the funnest comedy sketchs sellers ever did.

« : April 09, 2005, 01:56:33 PM KERMIT »
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

« #27 : April 09, 2005, 09:27:48 AM »

KERMIT, I assume you mean Blake Edwards? Nevertheless, an interesting point, I never thought of GBU when I saw The Party. Wonderful film, Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards was a great duo.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
KERMIT

« #28 : April 09, 2005, 02:01:58 PM »

KERMIT, I assume you mean Blake Edwards? Nevertheless, an interesting point, I never thought of GBU when I saw The Party. Wonderful film, Peter Sellers/Blake Edwards was a great duo.
yea, got it ! mr. edward's name corrected NB. i can remember fictional names of characters in films but not real people.  :-[  thanks again !!  and thanks also for the thumbs up on "the party"  ;D

« : April 09, 2005, 07:29:23 PM KERMIT »
ray_gillespie
Chicken Thief

« #29 : April 10, 2005, 02:24:12 AM »

Just noticed that GBU is starting to get a real lead on OUATITW. I'd have thought that GBU would be more popular among general films fans, whereas OUATITW would be more popular among fans of Leone.
I bet considerably more people have seen GBU than OUATITW.

« : April 10, 2005, 04:16:04 AM ray_gillespie »
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines