Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2022, 03:55:35 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  tough directors to work for/with
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: tough directors to work for/with  ( 6086 )
KERMIT

« : July 01, 2005, 12:03:10 AM »

henry hathaway¬  http://new.filmsofthegoldenage.com/foga/1999/fall99/hathaway.shtml
sturges and peckinpah come to mind.

« : July 09, 2005, 08:33:36 AM KERMIT »
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #1 : July 01, 2005, 06:00:27 AM »

Definitely Peckinpah.  I'm sure Chuck Heston had a good reason to draw tha saber on him. . .  :o

Saturday nights with Groggy
KERMIT

« #2 : July 01, 2005, 04:08:21 PM »

Definitely Peckinpah.  I'm sure Chuck Heston had a good reason to draw tha saber on him. . .  :o
lol,  good one groggy. the wild bunch had to be sam at his toughing tuff.   chuck pulled a saber on sam ?  :P 

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #3 : July 01, 2005, 04:20:03 PM »

If you do research on the making of "Major Dundee", it was a real horror show, what with studio interference and Peckinpah's usual temprament.  Heston, to his credit, stuck by Peckinpah to the end, even giving up his salary in order to allow him to finish production.  I think the saber threat was just a momentary flash of anger.  From what I've read on the subject, Heston's such a professional and courteous guy on the set, that Peckinpah must have been extraordinarily obnoxious for that to happen.  Also, according to Heston, Peckinpah was basically making the movie up as he went along (let's just say the screenplay wasn't strictly adhered to), and about halfway through production got drunk and abandoned the film.  Heston had to direct a good portion of the film, including - reportedly - the final battle with the French.  I've also heard a hell of a lot of nasty stuff about "The Getaway" and "Convoy". 

I'd like to add John Ford to your list, Kermit.  According to Michael Munn's John Wayne biography, Ford was an obnoxious bastard who liked to get his actors to fight each other for no real reason.  He was particularly abusive towards Wayne, and succeeded in making a number of actors (Andy Devine and Woody Strode in particular) turned against him.  On "The Horse Soldiers", he wouldn't let Wayne get a drink because Ford was trying to recover from his alcoholism, so Bill Holden arranged for Wayne to have a "dentist's appointment", and the two spent the whole day drinking together.  You can imagine how Ford reacted to THAT.  :o I could go on, but that'll give you a good idea of what went on on the set of a John Ford movie.

visitor
Bandido

« #4 : July 01, 2005, 05:45:43 PM »

lol,  good one groggy. the wild bunch had to be sam at his toughing tuff.   chuck pulled a saber on sam ?  :P 

Hey-Susan George actually thought Sam P was gonna have her raped on the set of STRAW DOGS :(

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

« #5 : July 06, 2005, 06:02:43 PM »

Franz Lang!

lol ive heard things about this guy

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #6 : July 07, 2005, 04:49:23 AM »

Franz Lang!

lol ive heard things about this guy

Fritz was pretty bad, there's no doubt about that. . . ;D

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

« #7 : July 07, 2005, 10:13:33 AM »

JOHN FRANKENHEIMER and ERICH VON STROHEIM, from what I've read were two tough SOB'S!

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

« #8 : July 08, 2005, 12:29:08 PM »

William Freidkin
Bernado Bertolucci(Maria Schneider's Enemy)
Samuel Fuller
Vincent Gallo

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

« #9 : July 08, 2005, 05:01:49 PM »

i hope i run into Vincent Gallo one of these days, i just wanna bitchslap that guy and walk off, leaving him owned

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #10 : July 08, 2005, 05:33:12 PM »

Werner Herzog must be a tough guy to work for. In the documentary BURDEN OF DREAMS he calmly talks about pulling a rifle on Klaus Kinski and threatning to kill him if he left the picture (they were shooting FITZCARRALDO).

Mind you, from what I've learned of Kinski's behavior, its a wonder nobody had done it sooner to "the hunchback".

Like Leone, Stanley Kubrick was notorious for shooting take after take. Unlike Leone he would go up to 50 or 60 takes before he forced his performers to give up what they wanted to do and give in to him his way, through sheer exhaustion (or even boredom).

« : July 08, 2005, 05:37:41 PM Juan Miranda »

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #11 : July 16, 2005, 10:24:14 AM »

I've worked for a right tough so and so..., I've heard that John Ford was supposed to be horrible to the Duke. Visconti was supposed to be hard to work for as well. On the other hand, Fellini, according to the books I've read and the docos I've seen, was supposed to be a great fella to work for.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines