Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 04, 2023, 02:26:57 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Leone in High Definition/Plasma
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Leone in High Definition/Plasma  ( 5463 )
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« : August 22, 2005, 01:31:10 PM »

Finally broke down and got a plasma to get ready for FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!!

I'm telling you, these things will turn you into a total television zombie.  Was a beautiful weekend weather wise and I was just glued to this thing in a trance, the picture is amazing.  Watched some of GBU and OUATITW, and although it looks beautiful it's filmed in what I believe is 2:35-1, which leaves it letterboxed even on a 16:9 screen.  Was really bumming out, thought it would fill the screen.  You can stretch it out with zoom functions but then you lose detailing and it gets grainier.  Am I missing something here?  I've got the DVD player set at 16:9 so I know that's not the problem.

btw - also saw Sin City, this DVD offers enhanced widescreen and it fills the 16:9 screen.   Loved this movie, some of the most original film I've seen in ages - liked this MUCH better than Kill Bill.  Are all the studios going to reissue DVD's in enhanced widescreen to meet the demand for 16:9 screens now?  Another gold mine.

« : August 24, 2005, 12:52:55 PM General Sibley »

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #1 : August 22, 2005, 02:27:59 PM »

.2:35 is my favourite ratio. I love the black bars on top and bottom, for a Western it adds such a large grandeur to the screen, of course your never going to replicate what you will see in the cinema. I must admit to enjoying talking about aspect ratios, the magic of Academy ratio (1.33:1) and more uncommon rations (1.19:1 and 2.2.40) to name a few.

General, even if a TV is in widescreen, letterboxed/Anamorphic  2:35  DVD's will have black bars on top and bottom. Sin City was presented in 1.85:1 which roughly matches the ratio of a TV  (which is more accuratly 1.75:1 which is what in the UK all television adverts must be presented as.) There will be no black bars on top or bottom of the screen (unless the 1.85:1 image is presented non-anamorphic/letterboxed and then you may have to zoom in the DVD at the risk of marginal cropping.

I work around aspect ratios and HD all day, and to help make it clearer I will post a description of the ratios which the editing suite have released.

HD is sadly not being broadcast in any format in the UK and I welcome its introduction, having seen it in action in the US and worked with it during editing. One day (if the HD DVD format will take off, which is will no doubt will) the Leone films will be presented in HD/Blueray (as it is Sony who owns the dollar trilogy) instead of the DVD downgrades that we have. However I am still a high proponent of film, I shoot HD but I would rather work with the admitedly more complicated but certainly much more asthetically pleasing celuloid.

« : August 22, 2005, 02:29:59 PM Leone Admirer »

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Beebs

« #2 : August 22, 2005, 02:39:23 PM »

My dad won one at the office recently and the actual screen is obviously meant for widescreen but if you choose to fill the entire thing it gets grainy. But it's cool.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #3 : August 22, 2005, 03:08:11 PM »

.2:35 is my favourite ratio. I love the black bars on top and bottom, for a Western it adds such a large grandeur to the screen, of course your never going to replicate what you will see in the cinema. I must admit to enjoying talking about aspect ratios, the magic of Academy ratio (1.33:1) and more uncommon rations (1.19:1 and 2.2.40) to name a few.

General, even if a TV is in widescreen, letterboxed/Anamorphic  2:35  DVD's will have black bars on top and bottom. Sin City was presented in 1.85:1 which roughly matches the ratio of a TV  (which is more accuratly 1.75:1 which is what in the UK all television adverts must be presented as.) There will be no black bars on top or bottom of the screen (unless the 1.85:1 image is presented non-anamorphic/letterboxed and then you may have to zoom in the DVD at the risk of marginal cropping.

I work around aspect ratios and HD all day, and to help make it clearer I will post a description of the ratios which the editing suite have released.

HD is sadly not being broadcast in any format in the UK and I welcome its introduction, having seen it in action in the US and worked with it during editing. One day (if the HD DVD format will take off, which is will no doubt will) the Leone films will be presented in HD/Blueray (as it is Sony who owns the dollar trilogy) instead of the DVD downgrades that we have. However I am still a high proponent of film, I shoot HD but I would rather work with the admitedly more complicated but certainly much more asthetically pleasing celuloid.

You work in HD?  Very cool - I have seen the future and it is HD.  I've got cable feed and only 10 stations are HD (720p), that's the main reason I've been holding off because the broadcast content isn't quite there yet.  But now I'm a convert, even those 10 stations keep you riveted - the detail is simply amazing. 

This weekend I was watching schlock like Catwoman (Halle Berry  :P) and Less Than Zero and the Little League World Series till 3am just to gape at the picture.  Jeez, I'm sitting there counting eyelets in the shoes that the spectator in the stands at the baseball game is wearing.  And I'm just a casual TV/movie watcher, this stuff is crack.   

Don't get me wrong, SL is still great - but when you see all that big beautiful widescreen blackbarred out you feel you're missing something.  Letterboxing never bothered me on 4:3, but it's like going thru withdrawal on the plasma.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #4 : August 23, 2005, 04:29:33 PM »

:o Another example of Americans always in advance. You have channels in HD! Us, even on the cable, we haven't got that, and I don't know when we'll have.
 There is not much TV sets in HD on the market yet, as far as I know.
 Plasma screens are bigger and flatter than classic screens but they haven't equalled yet the quality of the image of the best tube screen (even if they are no more produced), plasma image is a litlle fluzzy, and LCD image is a little pixelized. I have the best Sony TV 72 cm on the market, wich use the classic cathodic tube technology. And I think there will be years until the plasma and the LCD technology manages to catch up the quality af the best cathodic technology wich was developped and enhanced through fifty years, even if they have the advantage of dimension and size.

A good way to have access to the HD would be an HD videoprojector, I think.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #5 : August 24, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »

Theres's nothing wrong with CRT, but Plasma or LCD helps deal with space limitations.  I was looking at a DLP, but the set itself was huge - I've only got one area to place the TV and I could only fit a 27" Sony Wega before.   

To put a 42" DLP in there I would have literally had to have knocked at least a 3'x3' hole in the wall and have the rear of the TV poking into a closet.  Plasma you just hang it on a frame and pull the cables behind the drywall and voila.  You get a huge viewing area, and even more important the wife will buy into it.

Too bad about no HD content in the UK, you guys have had much better analog resolution all these years.   I take it you can't pull HD signals off of satellite?

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

« #6 : August 25, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »

I bought a Panasonic Widescreen CRT last year and was dissappointed with the fact that the black bars were still there on widescreen material. I understand why, but the manual warned about screen burnout because of this. The fact that 95% of my viewing is 4.3 anyway meant that the sides of my screen would probably burn out even faster, and I just can't stand to look at 4.3 programming in stretched mode. After a month, I took it back and got a Sony 4.3 HD which I love. I would like to have a plasma some day, but the technology is just too unstable for me at this point.

« : August 25, 2005, 02:30:19 PM spag fan »
KERMIT

« #7 : August 25, 2005, 10:19:32 AM »

after DVDs, what's next ? what's wrong so far that you would correct the situation ?

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

« #8 : August 25, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »

after DVDs, what's next ? what's wrong so far that you would correct the situation ?

I was speaking in terms of TVs, not DVDs. I'm waiting for program content to catch up with widescreen TVs. Also, CRT...LCD...Plasma...Projection... I'd just like to wait a few years to see how the technology settles before spending several thousand dollars. I don't need buyers remorse for a TV I'm not even sure I'll like a year down the road.

« : August 25, 2005, 02:37:12 PM spag fan »
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines