Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  On my way to Monument V. Where do I find the OUATITW noose-structure?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: On my way to Monument V. Where do I find the OUATITW noose-structure?  ( 10137 )
Shadow
Chicken Thief

« : August 24, 2005, 11:08:10 AM »

Hi all,

In a few months I'll be off to the states, among other places visiting Monument Valley. Now I've heard there are still remains to be found of the structure used to string up Harmonica's brother, the famous arch. Can anybody provide directions how to get there?

Much obliged!

Shadow

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #1 : August 24, 2005, 01:13:59 PM »

Monument Valley is one of the most amazing places on this planet, as cool as it looks on film it doesn't do justice to the immense scale of the place.  Those rock formations are HUGE.

Not sure where the noose arch is, or if it even exists. My guess would be that it was a temporary movie prop.  Even if it does exist you might now be able to see it anyway because MV is on Navajo reservation land and most of the grounds are off limits.

Plan on spending the night there - the way the light strikes the formations at sunrise and sunset can't be described.  Gauging by the colors and the shadows I think SL filmed the OATITW sequences at sunrise.  Bring lots of film/flash cards

Canyon de Chelly isn't that far, that's another amazing place.  Make sure you hike all the way down to the canyon floor.  In between the two I'd recommend driving the back roads like US 191 through Navajo territory, you won't see another car except for the occasional drunk Indian in a beatup pickup truck for hours and there's some mind boggling scenery on the way.   Beautiful road, not one pothole the whole way.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
iceman
Bounty Killer

« #2 : August 24, 2005, 02:09:31 PM »

Somewhere on one of the western sites is a photo of the arch as it is now or was recently...from what I remember there wasnt much left of it and I think the photographer said it was made of balsa wood or polystyrene and had a small piece as a souveniour. I'll try and locate the site. Might have been Ramon's or the tucumcari site... ??? ??? ??? ???

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #3 : August 24, 2005, 02:16:02 PM »

i remember it being described as north of mv on a ranch.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

« #4 : August 24, 2005, 06:01:01 PM »

Yeah, that Leone collector named Bruce had a shot of the arch on his site. The arch itself was quickie prop which eventually collapsed, but you could tell by the base and the remaining rubble that it was the arch.

I bet a local tourguide or hotel concierge can direct you right to it.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #5 : August 25, 2005, 10:23:56 AM »

Wasn't the arch shot in Spain?

iceman
Bounty Killer

« #6 : August 25, 2005, 12:37:30 PM »

Somewhere on one of the western sites is a photo of the arch as it is now or was recently...from what I remember there wasnt much left of it and I think the photographer said it was made of balsa wood or polystyrene and had a small piece as a souveniour. I'll try and locate the site. Might have been Ramon's or the tucumcari site... ??? ??? ??? ???

ICE

Found it

http://www.sergioleone.net/album/monument/index.htm

ICE :D :D :D :D

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Shadow
Chicken Thief

« #7 : August 25, 2005, 01:30:49 PM »

Thanx y'all for putting in the effort........If I find the palce I'll you know and bring some pictures.........

Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

« #8 : August 25, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »

If you drop me an email I can put you in touch with someone who was there last month.

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

« #9 : September 07, 2005, 10:40:48 PM »

Hi all,

In a few months I'll be off to the states, among other places visiting Monument Valley. Now I've heard there are still remains to be found of the structure used to string up Harmonica's brother, the famous arch. Can anybody provide directions how to get there?

Much obliged!

Shadow

Hello,

I just got back from Monument Valley and I went to a screening of  "OUATITW" where I drove over 1400 miles from Texas to watch my favorite film. At the screening I met Alex Cox who introduced the film and he told me where the Hanging Arc still stands.
I have posted a picture of whats left of the arc and it's amazing to think that after 38 years some of it still exists!
Here is how to reach the site.
As you are coming into Utah from Arizona on highway 163 you must go exactly 13 miles from the border, it is easy bacause you just follow the mile markers until you pass the 13 mile mark. Now look to your left for an unpaved road which if I remember right is something like farm road 437, now take the left onto the dirt road and head down about 1.7 miles and amazingly you can see whats left of the arc on the horizon in the distance.
Make sure you bring the soundtrack with you as you drive up to it because you will have goosebumps as you step out to the red dirt. The base still stands where it was cemented in and there is a cement driveway that goes under it now, broken bottles everywhere and bud light boxes stuffed into the arc from schmucks who have no idea where they were standing!
We even got an out of focus shot of me coming over the same hill that Frank comes up, until I get close and we focus the camera on my face. "Here, keep your lovin brother happy"
If you have any problems finding it just email me at www.warrenoatesrules@yahoo and I can help you even more>

Thanks and good luck
Kevin
Here I have posted

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

« #10 : September 07, 2005, 11:13:58 PM »

Here are my photos of the area
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/1209c06ef5b2838a6231f3d884bad6a3-.jpg
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/16d40df56ab941f725c954665218a310-.jpg
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/1b5b3b22653df435cdceac5deed377a8-.jpg
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/f4a6d31b113334da2f70ae6d3eba1458-.jpg
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/99797e6767130bfb5cc30ac3e4047a7f-.jpg
http://reengoe.zoto.com/img/50/80084e3a036b1cbfa7406bf1f9d0806e-.jpg

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #11 : September 08, 2005, 02:51:41 AM »

thanks cool pix

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Concorde
Gunslinger

« #12 : September 08, 2005, 04:33:31 AM »

:o  wOW!!

Thanks for posting those fabulous shots!  ;D

KERMIT

« #13 : September 08, 2005, 04:44:01 AM »

FH,  what kind of camera and lens did you use ?
 bra-VO  ;D  thankl you sir.  :D

Concorde
Gunslinger

« #14 : September 08, 2005, 05:16:32 AM »

This is so cool.

I got the expanded import version of the soundtrack album yesterday (the one with the "Morton" theme on it) so the OUATITW music has been running through my head ever since....and you can only imagine how the "volume" got turned up when I saw these gorgeous photos!!

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines