Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 10:34:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Long Riders (1980)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: The Long Riders (1980)  ( 14591 )
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #15 : August 04, 2010, 04:44:39 AM »

It is a delusional anti-Western, that's why it's (seemingly) hard to understand why do the outlaws still have romantic elements implemented in them, while their exploits are shown without any trumpets whatsoever. An intentional dichotomy. The story falls in between this, I wasn't paying much attention so you may have some point, but it is what it is: more concerned with the folklore itself than blending with the rest.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« #16 : March 30, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »

Blu-ray announced for June 7th.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #17 : December 02, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »

Improves on another view, and very good, but there's something keeping it from being great. Cooder's score was good, but something more along the lines of the Southern Comfort score would have worked better -- and the movie probably would have been better if the script didn't focus on so many events in the James-Younger gang's history. It should have focused on the good old days or the bitter end. But still, this would have to be the best Jesse James movie (and the best western of the 80's) since I find the 2007 James movie to be so up its ass, though it has some undeniably strong moments. B+

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #18 : December 02, 2021, 11:12:13 AM »

... the movie probably would have been better if the script didn't focus on so many events in the James-Younger gang's history. It should have focused on the good old days or the bitter end.
Maybe. What I tend to remember about the film is the great faux-Peckinpah sequences. I would have liked more of those.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #19 : December 02, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »

Maybe. What I tend to remember about the film is the great faux-Peckinpah sequences. I would have liked more of those.

I can't argue with more Peckinpah inspired violence. Extreme Prejudice is the best example of how well Hill can channel Peckinpah.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #20 : December 02, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

Huh, I don't think I've seen that one. I'll check it out.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #21 : December 03, 2021, 01:29:42 AM »

Long Riders is a total second hand western. Dancing like Ford, shooting like Peckinpah (both overdone) and the James gang portrait is somewhere in the middle between the disillusions of Kaufman's The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid and the classical approach of Jesse James (Henry King, 1939). And Peckinpah's twilight western motives are also nor very inspired laid over the story.

I like this one less then in former times for the very corny macho dialogues and an partly odd narrative. Actually a problem in most movies by Hill. Still 7/10 for individual enjoyable moments.

« : December 06, 2021, 03:52:26 PM stanton »

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #22 : December 06, 2021, 02:33:49 PM »

Coming after a couple of masterpieces like The Driver and The Warriors, I was disappointed with The Long Riders. It was a far cry from Peckinpah.

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines