Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 30, 2022, 09:12:10 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Harmonica's brother's last words?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Harmonica's brother's last words?  ( 25101 )
JFM
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #15 : January 03, 2004, 03:39:47 PM »

Okay, here goes.  I've seen OUATITW close to 100 times.  I saw it at the theater in 1969.  My best opinion on what the brother says to Frank is  "You sick son of a bitch....I'll show you."

I interpret the second part as being directed to his brother -- "i love you" and then gives him the push.

---
jfm

Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

« #16 : January 06, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »

Also Frank seems to say something too. When the camera is drawing back right when the hamonica is first placed in his mouth Frank's cheeks move alittle bit like he says something, but you can't see this face, you have to look hard though because you don't see it unless you stare at Fonda's head.  

Yes,I noticed this too.Frank indeed says something.I didn't notice this on the first watch,but later on.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #17 : March 04, 2005, 10:33:46 PM »

The Bronson's brother is played by Claudio Mancini, one of Leone collaborators.
I'm not good at lip-reading, but I'm fairly sure that a line he says is in the order of "Conto fino a tre" ("I count to three").

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #18 : March 05, 2005, 03:59:25 AM »

i think the common consensus is "You son of a bitch" but im not sure.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #19 : March 05, 2005, 07:05:26 PM »

Maybe I wasn't too clear: "conto fino a tre" (phonetically: cawntaw pheenaw I trae) is said in italian. I'm pretty sure of that. I think also that the last words he says before pushing his brother are: "due, tre" (dooae, trae) (two, three), though I can't detect the logical "one" before.

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

« #20 : March 06, 2005, 09:45:15 AM »

There's Definitely a "son of a bitch" in the sentence. Even Christopher Frayling is mentioning it in the commentaries.

Lilly
Road Apple

« #21 : March 12, 2005, 08:24:22 PM »

Did anyone else think the "son of a bitch" was aimed at young Harmonica?  If he pushed Harmonica away then this can't be so, but I thought maybe he was angry at Harmonica for not supporting him any longer.  I interpreted this as a final cruelty on the part of Frank - leaving Harmonica with the guilt of "killing" his brother.

If he did push him away with his feet, I'm much happier - for Harmonica's sake.  :)

Great scene.  Just a shame about Frank's wig!  ;D  And young Harmonica didn't resemble Bronson.  :-\

SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #22 : March 13, 2005, 06:51:16 AM »

I still maintain, although many disagree, that young Harmonica falls out of exhaustion rather than being pushed away. A careful frame by frame examination of the scene shows the brother's neck snap, next his feet are flat on the kid's shoulders.
As I said previously, the mixture of hate and guilt combines as a sublime motive for revenge.
AS for the wig...come on, Fonda's overall lQQk in that scene is great, taking away some 25 years. Some even believe that another actor played the scene. Finally, to find a kid with such a unique face (Bronson's), that in many ways makes the movie...must have been a difficult task. They settled on the eyes IMHO.

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #23 : March 13, 2005, 08:21:32 AM »

id just like to say that, tho u can pick flaws in every cinematic scene, that shhotout and flashback is as close to perfection as ive ever seen.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
SeanSeanSean
Gunslinger

« #24 : March 13, 2005, 09:58:23 AM »

Nothing to add to that, thanx Djimbo!

If it's a revolution, it's confusion
Mr.Cho-Cho
Bandido

Something to do with death

« #25 : March 21, 2005, 09:41:51 AM »

Maybe we're not supposed to know. It's like the "Just" video by Radiohead.

LOL! I was gonna say the same thing. i'm sure in just he says "if you lie on the ground all your troubles go away" just my opinion

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
poderator
Bandido

« #26 : February 20, 2007, 07:09:36 AM »

I agree with you that Harmonica's brother said something like "You son of the bitch", but I like to think that brother intentialy pushes Harmonica because Harmonica would feel guilty for his brother death. Harmonica would eventually lose his strenght, and his brother would die. So brother pushed him to save him. He did only thing he could to spare Harmonica; he died by his own will.

Tuco the ugly

« #27 : February 20, 2007, 08:36:39 AM »

"Frank you son of a bitch!!"

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

« #28 : February 21, 2007, 09:02:07 PM »

I still like "You sick son of a bitch..... I'll show you."  The lines are delivered to Frank.
With the kick, he absolves Harmonica of guilt in letting his brother down. and deprives Frank of his humiliation of his little brother.
This was all the older brother could do to get back at Frank.
I can't imagine doing less.

Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

« #29 : February 22, 2007, 03:57:41 PM »

duck you sucker  ;D

: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines