Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2021, 03:51:43 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Professionals (1966)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
: The Professionals (1966)  ( 49051 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #120 : September 18, 2021, 05:13:30 AM »

Or so the Germans would have us believe...

Ha ha, but in fact it is quite interesting and surprising to see which films had success back then.

If you want a real surprise: Sergeant's Three, the worst western by John Sturges, sold over 5 mio tickets, and is by that the most successful US Western here in the 60s and 70s. The first 2 Winnetou films sold over 10 mio each.

Django: about 2 mio
FaFDM: about 2,25 mio (and 390 000 on a re-run in 1980)
GBU: about 1,25 mio
4 for Texas: about 2 mio
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: about 1,4 mio

But remember, while OuTW was not an initial success, it had in Germany over the years such an ongoing success that it is with over 13 mio admissions the 4th most successful film since 1960. Only succeeded by The Jungle Book (over 27 mio), Titanic (nearly 19 mio) and Ben Hur (13,5 mio). And well, the SW comedy Trinity Is Still My Name is on # 7 with over 12 mio.

Those were the days ...

« : September 18, 2021, 05:45:05 AM stanton »

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #121 : September 21, 2021, 01:39:50 PM »

Did Kinski have anything to do with FaFDM's success? It seems odd that it would out gross GBU unless there are factors I'm overlooking?

So the Rat Pack was huge in Germany back then...that has to be the reason why Sergeants 3 was so successful.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #122 : September 22, 2021, 02:13:11 AM »

No, I'm pretty sure that nobody in Germany cared much for Kinski before he worked with Herzog. The 80s VHS cassettes had Eastwood and Kinski instead of LvC on the cover, cause then he was a famous guy for different reasons, but in the 60s he was just a minor actor with mostly small roles in genre films, which mostly had a bad reputation then.

And yes, it seems the Sinatra clan had a certain (and for me unexpected) box office appeal in Germany.

I have no figures for FoD, but the SWs with Nero and the label Django on them had a similar success than Corbucci's Django, even other  Djangos (fake or not fake) with Terence Hill and others had considerable success.

And GBU, maybe it was just too slow and too long. In 1967 El Dorado and The Return of the 7 sold similarly, and the 2 "fake" Djangos with Nero made considerably more money with about 2 mio admissions. The rather unknown I cinque della vendetta (Five for Revenge, Aldo Florio) had also more success with about 1,5 mio admissions.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #123 : September 22, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »

I didn't know if Kinski was on some TV show or something and was cast for the German market.

I guess I don't know enough about European audiences more than 50 years ago, but GBU not grossing the most money is surprising. Especially if the movies were released at least a year apart, which the first two would build something of a fanbase by the third movie's release.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #124 : September 23, 2021, 05:27:04 AM »

Looking at the figures I have from the USA, they were not that big a success as many believe in the states either. They sold well, especially for foreign films, but several US westerns had a much bigger draw. Amongst them of course The Professionals. Or Little big Man, or True Grit and especially Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I also think the British James Bond made much, much more money in the USA.

And Eastwood's most successful western was ... sigh ... Paint Your Wagon. No wonder they lost the Vietnam war ...

: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines