Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2021, 01:30:45 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Professionals (1966)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
: The Professionals (1966)  ( 49037 )
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #60 : July 22, 2012, 08:59:30 AM »

No, Stagecoach made him a star, after he made dozens of B-westerns in the 30s.

He had already starred in The Big Trail (1930), which flopped, but got him his B-picture contract. After Stagecoach he made A-stuff ,but not the real big movies. Between Stagecoach and Fort Apache and Red River he wasn't in the same league as Flynn, Bogart, Cooper, Fonda or other big stars were. He was on the level of Randolph Scott or maybe Rod Cameron or Dan Dureya.

But after Red River he was a real big star.

emmo26
Gunslinger

« #61 : July 22, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

Maybe a better ending would be......

Sorry Mr Randolph Duke (Trading places) we cut a deal with Jack Palance and his mexican gold

**************** ZZ TOPĀ“s 1st Gig **************
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #62 : July 22, 2012, 03:08:02 PM »

No, Stagecoach made him a star, after he made dozens of B-westerns in the 30s.

He had already starred in The Big Trail (1930), which flopped, but got him his B-picture contract. After Stagecoach he made A-stuff ,but not the real big movies. Between Stagecoach and Fort Apache and Red River he wasn't in the same league as Flynn, Bogart, Cooper, Fonda or other big stars were. He was on the level of Randolph Scott or maybe Rod Cameron or Dan Dureya.

But after Red River he was a real big star.

He was a star after Stagecoach. Nevertheless it was a western, and before that he was known for cheap western. So he became a Western 'Star'. But then the war broke out and his career went up. Like Flynn and certain others he made one film after the other. Almost 20 films until Ford came home and made THEY WERE EXEPENDABLE with him. The main reason why so many of his films at that period were B-films was the fact that he had a contract with Herbert Yates' Republic Pictures. The best they ever did was probably THE QUIET MAN (and that was rather too big for them. By then Wayne was a big star and Ford was anyway, he made it merely because Yates let him film in Ireland.)
RED RIVER was filmed in 1946, not 1948.
To let him die would not have worked. Nobody knew Clift at the time, it would have been to shocking if the only star in the film dies. After all, this was not SANDS OF IWO JIMA.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #63 : July 22, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

He was a star after Stagecoach. Nevertheless it was a western, and before that he was known for cheap western. So he became a Western 'Star'. But then the war broke out and his career went up. Like Flynn and certain others he made one film after the other. Almost 20 films until Ford came home and made THEY WERE EXEPENDABLE with him. The main reason why so many of his films at that period were B-films was the fact that he had a contract with Herbert Yates' Republic Pictures. The best they ever did was probably THE QUIET MAN (and that was rather too big for them. By then Wayne was a big star and Ford was anyway, he made it merely because Yates let him film in Ireland.)
RED RIVER was filmed in 1946, not 1948.
To let him die would not have worked. Nobody knew Clift at the time, it would have been to shocking if the only star in the film dies. After all, this was not SANDS OF IWO JIMA.

I'm not complaining about the fact that Wayne lives. But it shouldn't be Dru's silly speech that does it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #64 : July 23, 2012, 12:51:11 AM »

I'm not complaining about the fact that Wayne lives. But it shouldn't be Dru's silly speech that does it.

Maybe you don't understand Red River ? ;)

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #65 : July 23, 2012, 01:06:48 AM »

Well, Hawks had this thing about strong women (he was a pioneer on that field). It worked
very well with Bacall and various others. You'll find them in almost all of his films. In this case one
just feels the scene is a bit too much. I never liked it either. But I like her, so I don't care really :)

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #66 : July 23, 2012, 02:04:50 AM »

On the dvd commentary to Wagon Master, Harry Carey, Jr, who is still with us, said the following story (I think I've mentioned it before, but what the hell, it's funny): Dru was hosting a poolside party at her home, a bunch of Hollywood people were there, but not John Ireland, who was her husband at the time. One of the guests started hitting on her, so she reaches into her bathing suit... and hands him a falsie and says "here, play with this."  ;D 

Personally, I don't see much in her.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #67 : July 23, 2012, 05:22:46 AM »

If Dru's character figured more prominently in the story than she does I could buy the ending. But she has only a few fairly short scenes beforehand and therefore her effect on the film is cheap and unsatisfactory.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #68 : July 23, 2012, 01:17:13 PM »

Hawks wasn't very fond of her either (but what does he know), but for me she was great in most of her scenes, and they worked pretty good.
(I also liked her in Yellow Ribbon and Wagonmaster. Did she make anything else?)

Ahh you guys, you don't understand Johnny Guitar, you don't understand Lady from Shanghai, you don't understand fuckin Nolan, you don't understand Frayling, you don't ... is there anything you understand except vague  theories about dreams and ghosts?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #69 : July 27, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »

Why is disliking something not "understanding" it? Please let's avoid needless condescension, especially when concerning Batman films.

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #70 : July 27, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »

Can't say that the understanding part was meant to be taken serious.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #71 : July 27, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

Thanks Groggy for being vigilant about the politeness and etiquette of the boards  ;)

Alias
Road Apple

« #72 : July 30, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »

Just re-watched this for the first time in years, and my immediate thought was how much it would have benefited from a Five Man Army-style Morricone score.  Maurice Jarre's music is OK, but nothing special. Also disappointed that Woody Strode and Robert Ryan were given so little to do. Even Palance. Leone, who in 1966 was beating Hollywood at its own game, would have known how to make the most of this material.

uncknown
Bounty Killer

What about me?

« #73 : October 14, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »

The current issue of CINEMA RETRO has a great piece on this film.

It says something interesting.
Claudia Cardinale appears topless in the trailer but in the film her breasts were optically covered!
Can anyone tell me where to find that trailer? >:D
bruce marshall

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #74 : October 16, 2016, 02:02:21 AM »

The current issue of CINEMA RETRO has a great piece on this film.

It says something interesting.
Claudia Cardinale appears topless in the trailer

Really? Unlikely for a Hollywoodfilm from 1966, and as far as I know CC never made any nude scene in any film. But if the guys say that they probably have seen it.

: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines