Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 02:03:04 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  tomas milian's west
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 4
: tomas milian's west  ( 20931 )
indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

« : October 28, 2005, 12:10:11 AM »

Not a lot is said about the great Tomas. so i thought i would say something about his westerns.

The ugly ones- i've only just watched this one and as a first western and at nearly the start of his film career you can see the man's talent.

the big gundown- wow a great performance, hard to believe he had only made a few movies before this one. although his acting style doesn't gel as well with Van Cleef as say Nero. one of his great roles and a must for fans.

Death sentance- i've never seen this one. would like to hear from someone that has. (marco leone ? cigar joe?)

Django kill!- you love this film or you hate it. i love it, it's as mad as they come. says a lot about the uglyness about human beings. very reserved milian in this one.

Face to face- the best . milian and volante one good one bad roles change towards the end. william berger as well. a true classic go and buy it!!!

tepata- reminded me of Brando's 'viva zapata' tomas again is amazing. orson wells is very strange.

companeros- come on if you don't like this romp of a movie thiers something wrong. Milian and Nero great chemestry. you want more? how about Palance a scottish dope smoking wooden handed kestrel owning maniac. get it love it.

life is tough right provdence? - never seen this or the second one help marco!

sonny and jed- milian in the height of his fame. this movie doesn't work for me but i love tomas in it.

samuari- mad bad , just crazy. wallach as a sheriff, milian well how can i put it, you wouldn't be able to release this today.

four of the apocalypse- stange but great. milian is amazing as a keoma looking bad guy.

i would love to hear your views on milian and his movies..,

That could just be cannon fire.
HEX

« #1 : October 28, 2005, 08:38:35 AM »

though sometimes(well most of the time) he tends to over-act more then he should he is a good talent.
i would like to see how he acts today( i havent seen TRAFFIC) i hope he changed a bit because i dont how his acting style would fare with audiences today.
he recently completed a film with ANDY GARCIA so i would have to check it out.

i liked his perforemance as CUCHIO in the BIG GUNDOWN better then i did in RUN MAN RUN.
unfortunatly THE BIG GUNDOWN was somewhat of a disappointment. it is still great. but it is WAY to highly regarded as the best next to leone(personally CORBUCCI'S WESTERNS  beat SOLLIMA'S any day. even though the man made crap pretty much after COMPANEROS.) i would much rather see FACE TO FACE that looks like it has promise(as soon as i get a region free dvd player in christmas that little bastard is mine!).

as for DJANGO KILL i happen to like his "reserved" performance. it  showed me that he can pull something off without bordering to overacting.the film in question is another story. i liked it but didnt like it. i enjoyed it but found it boring. u must admit the plot goes every where. it is more of an art film i believe.

another MILIAN movie in which the plot is every where is FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE. i really liked this movie.
and a lot of sw fans bash it constantly. it doesnt get the respect it deserves. and MILIAN lights up the screen in this one(for the little screen time he had). the whole snow town with the baby being born sequence was a little long and drawn out but i forgive it because the rest of the film was a joy to watch.(i wouldnt put it in the top 30 though).

COMPANEROS as u know is great, i wont dwelve on how the film is like. MILIAN'S acting here is the type that i really wish he would calm down in. there are moments when he gets it just right and there are moments in which he goes way overboard!

now as for MILIAN the person. i personally think the guy is a hoot. i have lived all my life with my cuban family members and they are all exactly the same he is.
he is a hoot and half because he is a complete ego-tistical jack ass. what can u expect with remarks like "i am ****ing talented". lol. that guy is hilarious. he is so stuck up on himself it is not even funny(but it is). just look at all those anchor bay and blue underground interviews. i am surprised u guys have never mentioned what a complete prick the guy is. ;D

« : October 28, 2005, 08:41:25 AM HEX »
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

« #2 : October 28, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »

Great stuff, derringdo.
Its not something thats cross my mind before but.. Mr Volante was no shrinking violet either, prone to being difficult and the odd ego fit. Faccia a Faccia must of been a bloody nightmare to make!
Parrallels to Tobe Hooper's problems and eventual walking off on Venom come to mind. Giving up on the 2 leads Klaus Kinski and Oliver Reed relentless scrobbling. Could you blame the man.

Agreed. Faccia a Faccia is Milian's crowning moment. A crime its not more widely available.

Corbucci's Sonny n Jed. the film overall isn't great. But its worth checkin out for a Milian performance. Hes quite amusing in places. 

« : October 28, 2005, 11:32:09 AM The Smoker »

HEX

« #3 : October 28, 2005, 12:24:56 PM »

whoa! DERRINGDO where have u seen that interview on MILIAN complaining about VAN CLEEF i bet that is a riot.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #4 : October 28, 2005, 12:26:39 PM »

life is tough right provdence? - never seen this or the second one help marco!

Indio - my thoughts on the first Providence film were......

"It is fair to say that Tomas Milian is one of the all time great Spaghetti Western stars (grasping frantically at the poncho of Eastwood, Cleef and Nero). And it is in such good faith that I got my hands on a copy of this movie.

And after watching it, it is fair to say that you could call me confused! Sometimes shockingly bad, othertimes really great fun, I couldn't make up my mind whether it had been 90 minutes well spent or an evening wasted. I think I'll opt for well spent. Just.

Certainly, it is not your average spaghetti western, with Milian a Charlie Chaplin-esq bounty hunter, with a bungling "chunky" sidekick. The character play is a passenger on the Trinity bandwagon, but with an even greater level of stupidity. The Big Gundown it certainly isn't! Nor is it in any way reminiscent of Director Petroni's classic Death Rides a Horse.

The story is not so much one story, as a number of episodes with a very loose link. Thankfully, the strong cast pulls it off, and although I nearly pressed eject several times I did see it through to the end. And was it worth it? Hmmmmm, I just can't seem to make up my mind. But I bet I watch the sequel! ".

Basically, Milian plays his character well, I'm just not sure how much I liked the character.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #5 : October 28, 2005, 12:37:12 PM »

I meant to say also.......

Its really interesting to hear Derringdo's comments about Milian.  I'd read some of Dan Van Husen's comments over at the SWWB also.  Funny thing is, I never get the impression from watching Milian's performances that he could be so hard to work with - he always comes over like a happy go lucky "slap on the back" buy you a drink sort of fella - but I guess THAT is acting!

However, I also think that it is fair to say that most people that do become famous do so because they are so one-track minded and will do anything to achieve this aim.  I call this ego-clash situation "Big Brother" syndrome  :D

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
HEX

« #6 : October 28, 2005, 12:47:36 PM »

dont know whether u would find this interesting or not but here it goes....

i bought my copy of DJANGO KILL at a virgin record store in ORLANDO about a year or so ago...

evidently it was the first MILIAN SW i bought. and evidently my uncle was there with me. and when he saw the name TOMAS MILIAN on the cover he immediatly said..."u know i went to high school with TOMAS MILIAN". and i said "oh really"(not really interested because that man is known to live and breath bull****). and he continued on about how he was a friend in cuba. that they went to high school together and that they were in a film club in school. then one day MILIAN left the country and he never heard from him again.

he obviously went to miami florida studied in college (the same one my uncle studied in years later) then went to new york then finally to italy.

and i believe he resides here now in miami not sure. thats what i heard from my proffesor any way.

« : October 28, 2005, 12:49:27 PM HEX »
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #7 : October 28, 2005, 02:10:22 PM »

I wonder how he is perceived by actors outside of the SW fraternity?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : October 28, 2005, 03:28:36 PM »

Ok, here goes when I first saw Tomas in "The Big Gundown" on the big screen on Times Square, I didn't like him all that much, I was a kid then and basically I didn't think a peon character could out smart Lee Van Cleef time & time again.  I thought that Lee and Clint were like western  "gods".

Now I like Tomas Milian a lot, so things change after time. I haven't seen all of Tomas' westerns but I'll go down your list.

The Ugly Ones- haven't seen it yet no comment.

The Big Gundown - this I love, I think its a pretty good performance, and a great SW, and when I made the statement that I rated it just below Leone's films (a few years ago this was) I had yet to see Face to Face, & Companeros, now I'd still rate it highly about in the range of FAFDM but Companeros is better.

Run Man Run - A continuation of the Cuchillo charater not as good as TBG I do like the Chelo Alonzo - Linda Veras "hair pulling contest" though. lol  :o

Death Sentence - not seen.

Django Kill - not seen

Face to Face - is great but I just don't buy Milian as as Southener named Beauregaurd, I feel he is miscast, and it ruins the film abit for me.

Tepepa - I love this one and I think its one of his best serious performances, no clowning around here, a good film, my only problem is with the copy I have and that is that the sound drops out completely and there are no subtitles where there was no English dialog recorded, so you miss out on what is said. A cut version was released as "Blood & Guns".

Companeros - His best SW film almost equal to GBU perhaps just a notch below it.

Life is Tough Right Providence? - haven't seen this.

Sonny & Jed - nor this.

Samuari - nor this.

Four For The Apocalypse - nor this

« : October 29, 2005, 04:20:31 PM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #9 : October 29, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »

I  agree  totally with the consensus over Milians excellent performances in Big Gundown,Face to Face and Companeros.I'd recommended the Blood and Guns vhs version of Tepepa as i understand that the main cuts were in Italian(but no English audio) and the others where theres no audio at all.Orson Welles is horribly good here if you can hear or understand his barely uttered mutterings.
Hex you're right about Four of the Apocalypse but i really do feel that the last third of the film is ruined in storyline and pace when the two lead characters reach the snow town- very tiresome,and not enough to be
saved by the ok ending,but Milian as Chaco is EVIL!!
I'm very much on the same wavelength as Marco on Life is Tough,Eh Providence? and for someone that doesn't like Chaplin,Milian is great and espescially adept with the use of his cane on pool tables!!!
Finally,i don't think the Ugly Ones is a great film but undoubtably Milians performance and potential shine through here.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : October 29, 2005, 04:23:51 PM »

On Blood & Guns, if I go by what is cut, a lot of the reason for the conflict between Milian & Steiner is not there and it seems as if it wouldn't make a lot of sence of why Steiner is after Milian. Even though you still miss a lot without sound you can surmise whats going on.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #11 : October 30, 2005, 03:19:52 AM »

My thoughts on the Ugly Ones, which may (or quite possibly not!) be of interest to anyone that hasn't seen it  :

This film was oh so close to nearly losing me. Maybe my attention span was limited - it had been a pretty tiring day after all (but thats another - and highly uninteresting - story!). But anyway, for pretty much the first third of the movie I was convinced that it was notable purely for being Tomas Milian's first foray into the Spaghetti Western genre that he is so renowned for (and rightly so).

Milian plays Jose Gomez, an outlaw treated with reverence by the small population that make up his hometown. He is freed from captivity by Eden (Zalewska), who looks at Gomez with wanting eyes, seeing him as a local hero. However, bounty hunter Luke Chilson (Wyler) is on his trail, and arrives at the town ahead of the escapee, to the wrath of the very protective townsfolk. When Gomez does arrive in town, with a group of bandits at the helm, the locals begin to experience that he is no longer the great man that they believed him to be, and begin to witness first hand why he has the bounty on his head.

Whilst the opening sequences are slow and stretched to near yawning point (even for me and, hey, I like slow films!), the second half of the movie more than makes up for it. The film really hits the heights as the locals witness the transformation of Gomez' character. Milian plays this role expertly, demonstrating clearly the promise that was to blossom fully in the very near future. Wyler's bounty hunter on the otherhand is far more restrained, yet apt for the character he portrays. There is also a fine supporting cast that includes Spaghetti favourites Mario Brega and Frank Brana, and a pretty powerful soundtrack provided by Cipriani.

All in all, I am relieved that I sat through the slow beginning, because the film does have so much going for it once it does get going. May day improved considerably. Well worth viewing.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #12 : October 30, 2005, 03:30:09 AM »

Cigar Joe,in a similar vein  the abridged version of Face to Face(i've since acquired the full version on dvd) is missing 15 minutes
including some crucial interaction between Brad and Beauregard,but i was unaware of this at the time and still thought it was a great film and now i've passed my old cut vhs onto my stepfather,he  is also chuffed to bits with it!
I intend to get a fuller dvd version of Tepepa(which i see is quite expensive) at some point but i don't think anyone can go wrong with forking out $2 or so for the shorter Blood and Guns video(as it as it's excellent,and it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that Steiner was after Milian for the death of his sister - no huge gaping holes apparent for me!) of Amazon USA which is what i paid about a year ago,and there were quite a few left on there!

« : October 30, 2005, 03:32:47 AM banjo »
Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #13 : October 30, 2005, 05:59:32 AM »

Just looked up Blood & Guns vhs on Amazon USA,starting from $1.43 plus $5.49 postage which works out less than £4 to UK members.I'd call that a bargain!!
Yeah,as Marco says you have to persevere with the Ugly Ones even though the dubbing on my copy is a bit muffled.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #14 : October 30, 2005, 08:16:42 AM »

it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that Steiner was after Milian for the death of his sister - no huge gaping holes apparent for me!) of Amazon USA which is what i paid about a year ago,and there were quite a few left on there!

It wasn't clear to me about Steiner being her brother, In Tepepa Steiner's portrayed as an Englishman, and I get the impression that the girl is his fiance, and that is why he is after Milian, though like I said a lot of the sound is cut.

: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines