Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2021, 12:30:27 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 375646 )
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #375 : July 22, 2006, 06:54:17 AM »

Actually I think we had the best teams in all the editions of world cup from 1978 to the last one with the exception of 1986 and 1994.
Its interesting you say that about 1994 obviously with Italy reaching the final,because even when top nations  like Germany and Brazil have relatively substandard teams they also seem to progress very far into tournaments and i can only think to put this down to mental strength and supreme confidence which has been lacking in England teams who purportedly are meant to contain as many quality players(espescially recently) as any other country.English players perform to a high standard and achieve domestically and in the European club tournaments but seem to possess a mental block playing for England when it really matters in the big games.I guess the same applies to Spain.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #376 : July 22, 2006, 12:27:11 PM »

and i can only think to put this down to mental strength and supreme confidence

And also some referral aid. Just think about 1986. You could have won there. Due to the fact that is a very balanced game, a single episode may have a tremendous bearing on the final result.  England wasn't very lucky.

About 1994, actually I think we may also have had the best team if only Roberto Baggio hadn't injured himself and been playing that tournament at 30% of his capabilities, like Totti did in this last one. Sacchi made a big mistake to let him play the finale when Signori could have substituted him very well.

But what is the case with England I am not able to say. It is sure a big mystery. I think that about Germany the fact is that they play these tournaments always at their best physical condition. In consideration of how they got their first world cup against the formidable 50's Hungary, that might mean more of what it sound to a non expert...
About Brasil, don't forget that after 1970 they did have no result until 1994. A 24 years hyatus is no little thing.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #377 : July 22, 2006, 03:23:28 PM »

About the italian reactions to the victory, there were also some promises that have to be maintained in case Italy would win:

http://www.deejay.it/dj/video?idProgramma=26&idVideo=935&idVideogallery=196&pageVideo=&ref=hprad1

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #378 : July 23, 2006, 02:38:43 AM »

Can't get that video short to work.It connected to media ok and  said "ready" but afterwards nothing even when i pressed play.Did the dj do the "full monty" i wonder?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #379 : July 23, 2006, 03:39:44 AM »

About Brasil, don't forget that after 1970 they did have no result until 1994. A 24 years hyatus is no little thing.

And the workman like Brazil in 1994 weren't very pretty to watch in 1994 i remember,unlike in 1982 and that epic game against Italy was the best ever possibly?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #380 : July 23, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »

Can't get that video short to work.It connected to media ok and  said "ready" but afterwards nothing even when i pressed play.Did the dj do the "full monty" i wonder?

Fortunately it wasn't the dj's. I can't help you about making it work: are you sure you have dl the right software?

And the workman like Brazil in 1994 weren't very pretty to watch in 1994 i remember,unlike in 1982 and that epic game against Italy was the best ever possibly?

The problem with the american edition was that the matches were played at impossible hours with high temperatures and all that humidity. You remember it of course. Impossible to have tolerably good matches.
And no, about Italy-Brasil 3-2 I don't think it was technically a great match because of the brasilian defense being too weak for our team, expecially for a vulture like Rossi. Exactly as it was the epic Italy-Germany 4-3: until the overtime it was the dullest match ever played.
I think a greater match was Brasil-England in Mexico: that is a match I would like to see again. Also the 1974 final.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #381 : July 24, 2006, 02:00:26 AM »

They showed that 1970 Brazil v England epic in its entirerity prior to Englands encounter with Brazil in the 2002 world cup.Its amazing how fondly remembered that game is here considering that we lost 1-0 but i guess that Banks save and Bobby Moores performance has something to do with that.Of course i was too young to remember but its still hard to comprehend how England threw away the game to West Germany after being 2-0 up :-[
I never saw the 1974 final,the first world cup i saw was Argentina 1978 when Ally McCleod kidded everyone that Scotland were going to win the cup ;D
Which world cup did Italy beat Germany 4-3?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #382 : July 24, 2006, 03:20:03 AM »

Hey man, this is football legend...after Germany beated England! This is the match most fondly remembered in Italy,  more than any other. 

I saw Brazil-England 36 years ago, b\w; and though I wasn't able to appreciate it critically, I liked it even then.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #383 : July 24, 2006, 04:02:11 AM »

Hey man, this is football legend...after Germany beated England! This is the match most fondly remembered in Italy,  more than any other. 

I saw Brazil-England 36 years ago, b\w; and though I wasn't able to appreciate it critically, I liked it even then.
Well if they ever show it on the BBC in colour again i'll run you off a copy.
Anyway it was only a group game i thought,and Germany knocked England out at the quarter final stage.Why oh why did Ramsey take off Bobby Charlton to rest him and if only Gordon Banks hadn't had the food poisoning...
I find it hard to believe Italians fondly remember the Brazilian game.Italy are now the 2nd most succesful football nation and there must be several more memories of Italian than English games! ::)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #384 : July 24, 2006, 05:44:38 AM »

Thanx for the thought!

Anyway I was referring to Italy-Germany 4-3 as the most cherished match here in Italy.

Brasil-England is strictly for (very) ingrained fans.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #385 : July 25, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »

Definitive sentenza: a scandle in the scandle.
Well, I'll find something else to do on Sunday.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #386 : July 25, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

Definitive sentenza: a scandle in the scandle.
Well, I'll find something else to do on Sunday.
What the hells going on with these reductions in punishments with only Juventus being relegated now.Is the judge spineless or has he been paid off?The whole things a complete joke now that everyones got away with it.
I suspect this will not be the last time these clubs fix matches now!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #387 : July 25, 2006, 04:11:52 PM »

I'm disgusted. Can't find words to express my feelings. They will keep on with their tournaments and the rest, but for me is kaputt.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #388 : July 26, 2006, 01:18:39 AM »

I'm disgusted. Can't find words to express my feelings.
Is that the general consensus in Italy(excepting fans of the four clubs of course) and what do the Italian media make of it all?
I can't understand why the appeal court couldn't uphold or impose an even severer penalty on those concerned >:(
I've no idea of all the nitty grity details of the crimes but hopefully FIFA or UEFA will intervene and any Euro ban will still stand at the very least.
I feel very sorry for the other Italian clubs that play fair and have obviously been losing out achievement wise and financially because of these cheats.

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #389 : July 26, 2006, 01:35:02 PM »

Somehow I had a stinking feeling that it would end up like that.  Whats the chances of Juve even starting the season in Seria A?  ::)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines