Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:31:14 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369197 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #540 : November 24, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

I take it that Capello wasn't highly regarded at Roma then?

When he came he asked and was given players like Batistuta, Emerson and other ones I don't remember.
Rome was brought on the bring of finacial failure, but we won a title against Juventus cheaters. Still he was responsible for making us lose the next title when he insisted , in a match away in Venice, on a too defensive side. He goes for too difensive, cautious tactics: that's why he was scythed at Madrid in spite of results. And that's why nobody likes winning with him.
But of course in England that's just what they've been looking for since 1966. The great question mark is: how could he cope with not being able to buy the players he thinks he needs?
Still, I must admit that, as TV opinionist he is the best I ever heard: he really digs the game and is able to explain minutely what happens on the pitch. So I presume he's able to do that with players with whom he's working throughout the week(it's ridiculous how journalist make a great fuss about his not speaking english: how was he communicating with Beckham at Madrid?). But a national team he has only for a few days of the year? Still he's not a man to talk air. In the last year he was at Roma he said at the beginning of season that, as the team hadn't been reinforced  it couldn't aim above 4th-5th place. So if he said that he can do something with your team, it means he believes it.
About Klinsmann, it's true he just made semifinals: but he had a side much more inferior to many other ones. England was much better as to individual players, I firmly believe that, in spite of what is popular to say these days.
Yes, I would like to see Capello there, though the best choice would be Klinsmann, in my opinion. It would be a field day for the yellow press you have over there, still making WWII innuendos (my gosh, I saw such crap on the Guardian on line: that is a "serious" newspaper? I'm not even sure new generations are able to get the hints). Seeing Capello mangle the english press: that would be a show!

« : November 24, 2007, 05:31:35 PM titoli »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #541 : November 24, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »

Saw a little bit of Capello on todays Football Focus and what tiny snippets they showed were pretty much the same that has been quoted in the newspapers .He seems to be very enthusiastic and i don't have a problem with him being currently installed as the 2/1 favourite  to succeed McClaren afterall he has won 7 Serie A and 2 Spanish league titles.Though remembering his fallout with Beckham,the BBC football pundits were of the opinion that Capello's arrogance may rub the English players up the wrong way,pointing out that the much more easy going Phil Scolari would be better in this respect.

Yes Capello seems to have no worries about the gutter English press after having already dealt with the equally if not more scathing Italian and Spanish press.

Assuming that nothing will come of Jose Mourinho i'm hoping that the FA take up Capello's offer rather than appoint someone like Harry Rednap who admitted today that he would never turn down the England job.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #542 : November 24, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »

the BBC football pundits were of the opinion that Capello's arrogance may rub the English players up the wrong way

This is what all english football fans want. By saying that they're making him popular. And he's no arrogant: he's a 100% pro. And wants the other people he's dealing with to be pro like him.
And Capello is no fool. See what he did at the circus called Real Madrid this year: he put the ones who didn't fit on the bench and, in the case of Beckham, let him play again when he thought he was fit for it. In fact Beckham had nothing against Capello when he left Madrid.
The more we talk about this the more curious I become to see him land the bench.
(Another factor against him is his little enthusing record in knockout tournaments. Apart from the CL won with the stellar Milan, he did little.)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #543 : November 25, 2007, 01:00:08 PM »

This is what all english football fans want.
Yes we need a strong no nonsense figure to give our overpaid prima donnas a good kick up the backside rather than pandering to them like i hear McClaren did.

Read another quote from Capello about him intending to alter the psychology of the "underachieving" English players,and apparently he's already lining up Gianfranco Zola in his projected management team.I'm really starting to like the sound of this guy.Did he ever pursue the Italian head coach job Titoli?

Just seen the 2010 World Cup draw and England have Croatia(again!!),Ukraine,Belarus,Kazakhstan
and Andorra(again).Respect to Croatia(for obvious reasons) but i think  we came out of this quite fortunate.

Italy have got Republic Of Ireland in their group but i didn't note down the other countries.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #544 : November 25, 2007, 02:14:41 PM »

I don't remember if he did ever do a serious bid to be chosen as national coach, but it must have not been a serious thing, if he did at all. This time he is going out of his usual way to get it (they usual propose to him, not the reverse) and it is amazing. Of coujrse he knows this is last stop for him for a job as manager of a national team and maybe he relishes the taste of the challenge: with what he achieved as a manager and as a player (he won titles with Roma, Juventus and Milan: but not with the national team) maybe he needs jnew stimulus to put himself to work. If he's so keen on the job I think it should be given to him. Like me he probably presumes England has been badly managed these last years and has been constantly underachieving until this last farce.  My curiosity  to see what an old school italian manager can do with England grows higher and higher.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #545 : November 25, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »

By names only we're in the most accesible group (Bulgaria, Montenegro, Cyprus, Georgia) but we know that Iitaly gives the best only with the  big names or in dire situations(always been like that).

I don't think Capello ever did have anything to do with Zola. But the fact that he's going to pick him up as his right hand in the prospect job tells all about Capello seriousness oif intents and capacity to adapt to different situations. Of course in knockout competition you can always blow a chance and miserably fail. But I'm sure he's gonna get 100%  out of his players.

« : November 25, 2007, 05:00:12 PM titoli »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #546 : November 28, 2007, 06:22:53 PM »

I don't think Capello ever did have anything to do with Zola. But the fact that he's going to pick him up as his right hand in the prospect job tells all about Capello seriousness oif intents and capacity to adapt to different situations. Of course in knockout competition you can always blow a chance and miserably fail. But I'm sure he's gonna get 100%  out of his players.
I'm sure Capello's aware that Zola is universally liked in England through his time playing with Chelsea so thats a clever move to bring him into the equation.Because Capello is so keen on the job along with his brilliant credentials i think we've got to snap him up before someone else does.

I'm already bored hearing about how one minute Mourinho says "come and get me" and the next theres total denial that he's made any noises in this respect,and i'm hearing mixed messages from all the other candidates.

Michel Platini annoyed me yesterday by insisting we get in an Englishman in or else "lose our identity".I don't see why he's so interested anyway as he's already put himself in as an obstacle against England hosting the 2018 World Cup.I don't think we did too bad a job in 1996 did we?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #547 : November 29, 2007, 09:39:31 PM »

Redknap called himself out, didn't he? ::)
Anyway, I'm curious if at FA they will have the guts to get Capello.  He will bring clarity in a muddled situation, you can count on it. And I'd bet a solid 100 that he would take you to South Africa. You could then change him with a local trainer just before the trip.   8)
I had heard those blockheads at FA were going to decide this week, any news?

Platini is a politician. I think that after more than 50 years England has a right to host again the WC as Brasil, Italy and Germany before her. But maybe Monsieur is thinking to give France a third...
About losing your identity, I would like to ask him about all those black players in his national team.

Get Capello!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #548 : November 30, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »

I really don't know why we have an FA.They're so clueless about who to choose as our next coach that Barwick and co have been consulting every Tom,Dick and Harry about who we should plump for.I suspect the reason for this is that they can shift the blame if the choice backfires on them.

About this week,well from glancing on the back pages of todays newpapers it seems that the FA may be making a move very soon on Mourinho.Couldn't see anything about Capello.

I don't mind either of these two.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #549 : December 12, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »

So it's Capello... O0

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #550 : December 13, 2007, 04:51:36 AM »

Yes it looks very much that way and i'm finding the prospect quite exciting.I'm glad we're getting Capello (rather than Mourinho) who i understand wanted the England post as far back as 2000.He is the best possible candidate with a CV second to none,a strict non nonsense disciplinarian who's gonna sort out the overpaid prima donnas present in the team.I don't care if we don't play pretty just so long as we can actually qualify for the next World Cup and maybe even go a stage further than we did with Erikson.

I hope. :)

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #551 : December 13, 2007, 01:35:45 PM »

It seems like 2\3 of England's supporters agree with you. I am curious in the utmost degree to see how your players will fit into rather different Capello's schemes . And so, I think, is the rest of the football world.
But if the people at FA would be really smart (which I doubt, though hiring Capello is a smart move) what they would first charge Capello's with would be reorganizing the way football is taught (if at all) in England. He's a born organizer and proved himself at it BEFORE he even started coaching. He also should do weekly training conferences for english coaches at all levels. As to organization of a whole structure, he's probably the number one in the world. And he's a dedicated man like few to his job. So (I repeat myself), though I think Klinsmann could have been a better choice as to the way the team would play, Capello is probably the best in this particular moment. As to the english popular press, they're a chocolate fudge for Capello.
And, last but not least, as a football fan was reminding me a few minutes ago, (though I do not believe in fortune) Capello is a lucky man. 

« : December 13, 2007, 03:25:58 PM titoli »

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #552 : December 14, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »

It seems like  Capello can actually speak some basic english. Here's an anticipation (I took this from a AS ROMA fans forum):

"From the technical/tactic point of view..."

"I don't usually talk about the ref, but there were three throw-ins for us more"

"The grass was too rough"

"I'm not interested in coaching the France/Italy/Russia/Arab Emirates National team"

"Are you a local or national radio?"

« : December 14, 2007, 06:57:22 PM titoli »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #553 : December 15, 2007, 06:48:14 AM »

It seems like 2\3 of England's supporters agree with you. I am curious in the utmost degree to see how your players will fit into rather different Capello's schemes . And so, I think, is the rest of the football world.
But if the people at FA would be really smart (which I doubt, though hiring Capello is a smart move) what they would first charge Capello's with would be reorganizing the way football is taught (if at all) in England. He's a born organizer and proved himself at it BEFORE he even started coaching. He also should do weekly training conferences for english coaches at all levels. As to organization of a whole structure, he's probably the number one in the world. And he's a dedicated man like few to his job. So (I repeat myself), though I think Klinsmann could have been a better choice as to the way the team would play, Capello is probably the best in this particular moment. As to the english popular press, they're a chocolate fudge for Capello.
And, last but not least, as a football fan was reminding me a few minutes ago, (though I do not believe in fortune) Capello is a lucky man. 

Yes well done to the FA for ignoring the whingers who were calling for an English coach.Lets face it at present we just don't have anyone who is up to the task.I was getting sick about hearing Harry Redknapps name who has never won anything with anyone,he just not in the same league as Capello.And Martin O'Neill,he's Irish anyway!!

But i  can't understand  the FA's insistence of having an English name added to Capello's team.We should trust this proven winner to bring in the people that he wants without having to include a token Englishman for the sake of it .And it has been proved with McClaren that grooming an English subordinate for a future coaching role doesn't work.

It would be great if Capello could implement the grass root changes which you suggest,if he was willing enough,but i suspect that he may end up treading on Trevor Brookings toes as he is currently in charge of such matters.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Capello will deal with our gutter press.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #554 : December 15, 2007, 06:53:44 AM »

It seems like  Capello can actually speak some basic english. Here's an anticipation (I took this from a AS ROMA fans forum):

"From the technical/tactic point of view..."

"I don't usually talk about the ref, but there were three throw-ins for us more"

"The grass was too rough"

"I'm not interested in coaching the France/Italy/Russia/Arab Emirates National team"

"Are you a local or national radio?"
;D

I don't see the language issue as being a problem.I understand he's already fluent in one or two languages other than Italian  and by the time the World Cup qualifiers start next Autumn his English will be very good. :)

: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines