Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:31:57 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369198 )
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #45 : June 07, 2006, 03:35:08 PM »

This apparent isolation from football , does this partly explain why you have "world series

Bit of baseball (the best sport  ;) ) lore here. The reason it is called The World Series is because the series was named after the newspaper that funded it, which was called The World.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #46 : June 07, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »

Banjo, don't you think we should begin making some guesses on the results of the matches? For example, how about the first match, Costarica-Germany?

My guess: 2-1 for Germany, with a scandalous refererral help.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #47 : June 07, 2006, 05:12:04 PM »

How long does the soccer( ::) ) season last?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #48 : June 08, 2006, 05:13:07 AM »

How long does the soccer( ::) ) season last?
When theres no World Cup or European Cup in England it runs from mid August to mid May-the FA Cup final is the last game usually.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #49 : June 08, 2006, 05:15:28 AM »

Banjo, don't you think we should begin making some guesses on the results of the matches? For example, how about the first match, Costarica-Germany?

My guess: 2-1 for Germany, with a scandalous refererral help.

Costa Rica are an unknown quantity,Germany the home side-so i'll say 3-1 to Germany.We're have to keep a tally Titoli so see who is best with their predictions ;)

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #50 : June 08, 2006, 06:31:56 AM »

Groggy and Firecracker,what kinda tv coverage and press attention are the Germany World Cup Finals getting in the USA? ::)
Did you know that USA are rated number 4 in the world? :o

Actually I do watch ESPN on a regular basis, and they've been talking quite a bit about it (not to mention a lot of adverts). 

I had heard the US was rated #5, but I could've heard wrong.

In re the World Series: there are Canadian teams in it.  ;D

Saturday nights with Groggy
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #51 : June 08, 2006, 06:37:09 AM »

I quite fancy Costa Rica to get a draw in this opening game.  Alot of pressure on the homeside, and their only true World Class player (Ballack) injured.

1-1

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #52 : June 08, 2006, 06:42:24 AM »

Banjo, you could set up a prediction tournament, you're good at that.
Anyway, I don't follow world football, so I have an advantage...
Let's not forget the other match, Poland-Equador: 0-2. 

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #53 : June 08, 2006, 01:37:46 PM »

Anyway, I don't follow world football, so I have an advantage...
Let's not forget the other match, Poland-Equador: 0-2. 

Poland 2 - Ecuador 2

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Half Soldier
Gunslinger

« #54 : June 08, 2006, 02:24:14 PM »

Germany 3 Costa Rica 0
Poland 2 Ecuador 1

I've drawn Ghana in the sweepstake at work.  They won't give me my money back.

Rooney fit for knockout stages ;D we'll need him against Germany/Poland (as is likely).

I think the USA started losing interest in football as a spectator sport when they got beat by Iran.  It hasn't stopped them producing good players and if they have a decent cup, they should draw a lot of attention to themselves back home.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #55 : June 08, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »

we'll need him against Germany/Poland (as is likely).

How come you always draw Germany? Or is the other way 'round? And never make it against Italy (I don't remember a match at the World Cup)? Anyway I feel that England supporters this time feel they can make it. And rightly so: I think this is their best team since 1970. Am I wrong?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #56 : June 08, 2006, 05:53:58 PM »

Bit late in the day to work this out but i could keep a tally of yours,mine,Marco's,Half Soldiers plus anyone elses predictions maybe.
Englands squad isn't drastically different from Seoul 2002 and Portugal 2004 and our qualifying wasn't that much plain sailing-we lost against Northern Ireland and only just scraped a 1-0 win over Wales so i'm concerned we may be getting ahead of ourselves a bit with all the talk of winning.We had a great squad in 1990 too-having Rooney being given the all clear is a massive boost and its great to have a new striker Peter Crouch with a bit of height(6ft 7  :o ) who is confident and scoring lots of goals.maybe you're right Titoli-what about Italys chances?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #57 : June 08, 2006, 10:23:51 PM »

No idea. Before the scandal I thought we were easily the best team around, good in all the roles (an austrian friend told me they had a special tv emission 2 weeks ago and a panel of experts from all over the world shared this view). Of course there was (and is) the problem with Totti, who is fully recovered but has to find the match rhythm: and  nobody can tell when and if he'll do (I presume the same goes for Rooney). We have 3 fresh injured ones (Nesta, Zambrotta and Gattuso) who are mainstays of the team. The first 2 should make it against USA, but nobody knows if they'll fully recover. It seems like the basic problem is the physical condition of the rest of the team: everybody seems to have the ingrained conviction that we are never going to be 100% in this tournament and if we don't grab first position it would be Brazil in the eights. But they said the same thing in Spain...
As usual, nobody can tell what is going to happen. Reading the newspapaers and listening to the radios there are two favourite teams for final victory: Argentina and England, with Germany in the final four. Malvinas (pardon, Falkland) syndrome, uh?

columba
Bandido

« #58 : June 09, 2006, 02:02:38 AM »

Maybe we'll get some unbiased refs?!  Weren't Switzerland neutral in the war ;D  Pity Uncle Fester has retired now - somehow he always added something to a game.

England - Paraguay 2-1
Poland - Ecuador 1-1
Germany - Costa Rica 1-0

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #59 : June 09, 2006, 02:48:42 AM »

Argentina and England, with Germany in the final four. Malvinas (pardon, Falkland) syndrome, uh?
Thats probably a kiss of death for England-with some luck we may get to the semi's but need to avoid any penalty shootouts and hopefully also avoid dodgy referees too.I saw a quote from a German player who claims England may have their best squad in years but still have a mental block in the major tournaments-we've yet to disprove that one-especially with those dreaded penalties :'(

: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines