Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2021, 11:29:05 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Football Thread
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69
: The Football Thread  ( 369193 )
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #210 : June 26, 2006, 06:40:54 AM »

Apparently Figo will not be banned.  What a bloodbath of a game!!

I thought England played a bit better.  I still think though that you can't play Rooney as a lone striker - he played really well but gets deep, meaning that the ball keeps coming back at our defence.  How many corners did Ecuador win????  As we get nearer and nearer the tournament I guesss our chances of winnign increase, but in honesty it will be difficult to progress, even against a depleted Portugal.  They will be a lot harder to break down.

A good point made on the radio early.  Chelsea star players - Lampard, Cole (were head and shoulders above Tiago and Maniche) and Terry (always plays ahead of Carvalho).  So why is it that they look so much better in their Countries colours??  Thats not pointing an accusing finger at the three English Chelsea lads, but does serve as a good comparative example.

Anyway.....

Italy 1 Australia 0
Switzerland 0 Ukraine 1

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #211 : June 26, 2006, 05:20:49 PM »

brasil 2 ghana 3
spain 1 france 3

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #212 : June 27, 2006, 05:54:49 AM »

A point each to Titoli and Marco for that dubious penalty goal-well i suppose Italy deserved to win-very impressive defense! ::)

Le Bon       9
Banjo         7
Marco         7
Titoli          6
Half Soldier 2
Firecracker 1

Brasil 3 Ghana 1
Spain 2 France 1

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #213 : June 27, 2006, 06:37:15 AM »

Annoyingly I so nearly went with a nil nil for that final game.  Oh well!

As for today.....

brazil 3 ghana 1 (I think this would have been close, but for the loss of Essien with 2 yellows)
spain 2 france 2 (France win on pens) - But I hope not, the Spanish deserve to do well.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #214 : June 27, 2006, 07:34:29 AM »

The penalty was dubious but the red card was undeserved.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #215 : June 27, 2006, 03:19:15 PM »

Yes theres been some appalling refereeing already but thankfully so far(touch wood! :-\ ) England haven't suffered their usual ill luck with disallowed goals and sendings off that have cost us in the past.
No correct predictions today so the table stands the same:-

Le Bon       9
Banjo         7
Marco         7
Titoli          6
Half Soldier 2
Firecracker 1

Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

« #216 : June 28, 2006, 05:34:57 AM »

No footie for two days!!!  How will we survive!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #217 : June 28, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »

You won't believe it but the talk in Italy is also, rightly, about the suicide attempt of a former Juventus player turned into team manager of the same team recently. And, expecially, about the football trial about to open up tomorrow.

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #218 : June 28, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »

I have been having some computer problems  :'( so missed yesterdays games. But i wouldn't have got them right anyway.  :(

Two days break, i think i'm getting withdrawal symptoms!!

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #219 : June 28, 2006, 03:13:51 PM »

about the football trial about to open up tomorrow.
Yeah a bit was said on British tv about 4 top Italian clubs being investigated for corruption :o
Titoli,has there been match fixing in the Italian league and and if so to what extent?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #220 : June 28, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »

To the extent that Juventus F.C won 8 of the last 12 or 13 championships (but I can safely say that they started practicing systematic cheating at least in the '70's. before it was occasional, I presume). I can safely say that my team (Roma) was cheated of at least 4 titles from the '80's on and brought on the verge of bankrupt because of the system created by Juventus and Milan in cahoots to secure themselves systematically the bigger share of TV rights and the uninterrupted admission to Champions League. It's really sad, expecially because we always knew and said things stood like that. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #221 : June 28, 2006, 03:42:04 PM »

the system created by Juventus and Milan in cahoots to secure themselves systematically the bigger share of TV rights and the uninterrupted admission to Champions League.  
You mean they were both bribing the smaller clubs into losing so that they could top the Italian league? :o
   Who won the Italian league thats just finished and who will UEFA allow to represent Italy in the Champions League next season-though i appreciate that UEFA will probably await the outcome of the investigations?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #222 : June 28, 2006, 04:07:03 PM »

You mean they were both bribing the smaller clubs into losing so that they could top the Italian league? 

They had one or two satellite clubs, but they operated mostly by referees. In facts  a dozen of them are suspended waiting for the trial.

Who won the Italian league thats just finished and who will UEFA allow to represent Italy in the Champions League next season-though i appreciate that UEFA will probably await the outcome of the investigations?
Not of the investigations, but of the trial which will start tomorrow. The championship was won by Juventus (owned by Agnelli family, i.e. FIAT, largest italian economic concern) and second was Milan (who else?) which, as you probably know, is owned by TV tycoon and former PM Berlusconi (that to give you an idea of the water these 2 clubs can draw: and yet, as the ball is round, they left nothing to chance by bribing referees, newspapermen and high functionaries in the italian football federation).
3th was Internationale F.C (clean):, 4th  was Fiorentina (the Florence team). The president said they were blackmailed into accepting the Juventus methods and arranged some matches too, so did Lazio (6th). Rome (clean) was 5th. So of the first six only 3d and 5th were proved clean (unless something comes up in the future: which I doubt it).

Banjo
Bounty Killer

« #223 : June 29, 2006, 02:27:32 AM »

Would you say many of the players themselves in those clubs were party to the match fixing?

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #224 : June 29, 2006, 07:46:34 AM »

I don't think so, but there's another investigation whose extent is still to be determined (they left things hanging as there was the World Cup) about illegal betting in which it seems some players are involved. In fact Italy's goalkeeper Buffon has been interrogated as he is supposed to have bet something like 1 and 1\2 million euro on his and other players account (among which there are some other National Team players). His defense was that he was betting on foreign matches but who'd believe that you'd bet sums that big on  french league matches?
There are many motherloads about dirt in football investigated in varous part of Italy and nobody can predict the way they're gonna turn in the near future.  But the trial which opened today doesn't see the involvement of players.   

: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 69  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines